New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,586 of 11,260
I'm close to ordering one of the following combinations:
1) R28 + pair of Precision 3s (well within my current budget)
2) R28 + Master 3 (will have to use some credit)
3) R8 + Master 9 + Master 3 (will have to utilize a fair amount of credit)

I'm leaning toward combination 2) at this point, as the speakers I'm getting aren't going to be the most efficient, though the first combination would later make for a great bedroom system. I eventually want to get an the R-7HE, an HE-1 (and Master 9), and a pair of Master-2Hs, so perhaps it's silly going for the third option now. On the other hand, it may be a good long while before I can afford the flagship units. Hmm, I say.

That aside, regardless of which Audio-gd I end up with in the short-term, I'm thinking of using one of those JCAT FEMTO USB cards to output the bits from my computer. I wonder if any regular viewers of this thread have tried that card. I know it's generally frowned upon here, but I'll be using my Mac Mini to play my files. The Mini will be connected to an OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion chassis, which will house the FEMTO card. Initially the card will be powered by a LPS from iFi, but later I will likely try the HDPLEX 200W unit to power both the JCAT card and the Helios 3 unit as well, forgoing the included SMPS for that enclosure. To begin with, I'll be getting my R28 or R8 with the Singxer F-1 card, and later I'll add something like that new Singxer SU-6 to the chain (and go I2S).
I would be probably better to use a pci hdmi i2s card like @Whitigir uses directly and avoid usb all along.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,588 of 11,260
I may have misunderstood, but if you plan to use Singxer F1 card there is no need to switch to Singer SU-6 though perhaps there will be a slight improvement in SQ. Would there be an upgraded next gen of F1 board that could be used? If the Gustard-U16 is as great as post people find, then you can also upgrade to that instead of the Singxer SU-6 for better SQ improvement.
I would also think saving money for the R-8 is better than trying to do R28 and then switch to R-8 later on
I presume you already have Mac mini ? (don't bother buying a new one now as latest machine can only use its core audio sound card which degrade the sound) I also recommend booting the Mac mini using euphony auto which will likely improve SQ a lot.

Thanks for offering your thoughts (and thanks to Fred as well). Perhaps I had incorrectly assumed that the SU-1 would be an upgrade over the F1. I suppose with that stand-alone unit, you're paying for the flexibility it offers in terms of outputs, but also the ability to use it with any DAC. Nice to know that the F1 may be sufficient. I'll have to look into the Gustard stuff.

I thought Roon (and possibly also HQPlayer) would bypass core audio? The data would be output over Thunderbolt 3 to an enclosure containing the JCAT card, and both the enclosure itself and the USB card would be getting power from a separate linear power supply. I'm sure the PCI HDMI card Fred mentions would also be a sensible plan. I just happen to use my Mac as my literal everything machine on a desk nearby (but still relatively isolated from my audio stuff; on a separate circuit, etc.). So, a 5 metre HDMI cable with I2S would not be feasible.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #3,589 of 11,260
The two Singxer models sound identical on my two AGD DACs (R7 and M7S). F1s are internal and replace Amanero boards for IN6. SU-1 drives HDMI I2S on IN5. Both F1/SU-1 are fed from same JCAT PCIe and linear USB +5V. Same sound and stellar performance.

The Gustard U16 DDC is impressive and can definitely hear a difference compared to either Singxer on the R7 over HDMI I2S. Takes the R7 to a higher level of performance versus F1 or SU-1. The U16s f/w (1.4 PSA) is a little buggy as HDMI I2S is OK but the serial ports are not right. So some work remains. But sounds incredible on HDMI I2S!!

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #3,590 of 11,260
Hi folks -

I’ve been running my r2r-7 for about a month now - I have it hooked up to my Master-8 HP amp from a Sony X7ESD CD player, and Audirvana iTunes library. I am very happy - it’s kind of end game for me... for now :)

I have a simple question - I can’t stop feeling I need to keep the beast fed and therefore keep playing audio thru the system (a lot of the time without me listening) - is this necessary for the r2r DAC to stay at its premium?

It’s an odd question I know - but when I go to switch it off - I wonder if I need to go thru the process of long hours of playback to get it primed again.
I heard the Yggy demands to stay on - does that mean with audio too?

Many thanks for any thoughts - Merry Xmas and here’s to a great 2019.

Cheers - Brent

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #3,591 of 11,260
Hi folks -

I’ve been running my r2r-7 for about a month now - I have it hooked up to my Master-8 HP amp from a Sony X7ESD CD player, and Audirvana iTunes library. I am very happy - it’s kind of end game for me... for now :)

I have a simple question - I can’t stop feeling I need to keep the beast fed and therefore keep playing audio thru the system (a lot of the time without me listening) - is this necessary for the r2r DAC to stay at its premium?

It’s an odd question I know - but when I go to switch it off - I wonder if I need to go thru the process of long hours of playback to get it primed again.
I heard the Yggy demands to stay on - does that mean with audio too?

Many thanks for any thoughts - Merry Xmas and here’s to a great 2019.

Cheers - Brent
You should definitely keep it on 24/7 imo. But it does not have to play audio. One fhing though, the servo-control opamps need to play to stay warm, but it is a matter of less than an hour for them to heat up. And it does not make a huge difference. Far from comparable to how bad it can sound sometimes when cold.

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,592 of 11,260
Thanks for offering your thoughts (and thanks to Fred as well). Perhaps I had incorrectly assumed that the SU-1 would be an upgrade over the F1. I suppose with that stand-alone unit, you're paying for the flexibility it offers in terms of outputs, but also the ability to use it with any DAC. Nice to know that the F1 may be sufficient. I'll have to look into the Gustard stuff.

I thought Roon (and possibly also HQPlayer) would bypass core audio? The data would be output over Thunderbolt 3 to an enclosure containing the JCAT card, and both the enclosure itself and the USB card would be getting power from a separate linear power supply. I'm sure the PCI HDMI card Fred mentions would also be a sensible plan. I just happen to use my Mac as my literal everything machine on a desk nearby (but still relatively isolated from my audio stuff; on a separate circuit, etc.). So, a 5 metre HDMI cable with I2S would not be feasible.
Oh maybe the core audio is bypassed if u use roon or NAA etc. Hqplayer uses core audio if running on the Mac OS. I play music directly from the OS so it makes lots of difference but if not perhaps not so much. However I read frm forums many still
Make great effort to have a streamer having a dedicated audio OS like AudioLinux using roon etc apparently makes a difference too.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #3,593 of 11,260
How much time will it take to run in the R8 DAC, and what can I expect to happen?

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,594 of 11,260
Hello holco
My perception was that my R8 became more coherente and smooth about 300 hs.
You get the same amount of detail, but with much more nicer sound.
I also noticed an noticeable improvement in bass definition about that time.
Leave it 24/7 with music running with the rest of the system shut down.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #3,595 of 11,260
Thanks PLGA, it actually sounds fantastic, but I'm so curious about where it is going.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #3,596 of 11,260
Got my allo usbridge replacing the pi. I power it with two chinese ultra-low noise lps.

My setup is usbridge -> intona -> gustard u16 -> r7. I use a hdmi 2.1 cable from China. Besides some serious issues with 176 and 192k playback, the u16 is a great ddc. I expect these will be solved with a firmware update. I don’t care much as i own only 2-3 records in those formats,

To get to the point: this setup is crazy good and the burn in is not even finished yet. Listening to Bill Evans, piano never sounded so rich, sharp and realistic before. This is a laid back recording i am listening to, as mosf of Bill Evans records, and the soundstage is to my likings with this setup.

The setup renders such wholeness, everything being so coherent. And butter smooth. I have a big smile on my face.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #3,597 of 11,260
Looks like everyone is happy and have nothing to report :thinking:

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #3,598 of 11,260
Looks like everyone is happy and have nothing to report :thinking:

I think You are right. These gears gives almost infinite possibilities to discover. In my opinion, this can be both a richness or a curse....or both. It very easy to get lost in settings and tweaking yourself to death. In some state one must halt and decide to stay on a setup..for a while, at least to really validate what's going on in a longer turn. I think @DACLadder (Scott) has been written in a very healthy way, about this.

Yes, these R-dacs can really seduce when setup right for the listener. I think we all get stunned now and then. I think this silence is good. Sooner or later new discoveries will be discussed here.

I enjoy my R2R-7 very much....waiting for my Gustard U16 to show up.

Regards
/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #3,600 of 11,260
Like @FredA of late, I have been experimenting with the new Gustard U16 DDC (HDMI I2S output).and Allo Usbridge. The U16 has remarkably improved sound over the Singxers (both SU1 and F1). Much less grain is the big item to note but also better bass. Wide soundstage and very deep. The Usbridge removes my computer from the equipment chain (yeah). And also the Usbridge reduces the last bit of grain in my system. With these two changes the R7's sound is exceedingly more clear and open while bass is very tight and prominent. A definite improvement overall and spotted immediately on vocal presentation.

All is not golden with the Gustard U16. It has operational issues and sometimes will not play 176 or 192 khz files but tolerate the flaky performance because it sounds so good. The U16 is relatively new and needs more driver and firmware development. But when working correctly beats the Singxers in sound. Makes the R7's V3A firmware shine brilliantly and never sounded any better when the U16 is driving the HDMI I2S input. I am still using OS 8x for R7 DSP filter of choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back