New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,541 of 11,260
After a vew more sessions with the r8 and v3a, i have to agree, that nos2 fifo is impressive, especially regarding depths...feeded via i2s from the pwt. Does anyone know if sync affected the sound? I get noise from i2s if sync is off...
With what transport? Could the cable you use as well. Synch is supposed to improve things when the transport is not up to par. With a brand-new dac with tcxos not fully burned in, maybe it helps too.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3,543 of 11,260
I'm liking NOS 2 as well with V3A on the R7. Smooth highs and good bass. But I keep going back to OS 4x as well. The highs get a little aggressive with OS 8x and more balanced in OS 4x. NOS 2 is warmer and slightly more relaxed in very good, comforting way. I can't decide which I like better! Using Singxer SU-1 HDMI I2S on Input 5 today.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3,544 of 11,260
Absolutly! But in my understanding fifo n2 means, the transport/ is more in focus and relevant...might be wrong. O4 is imho the best of not nos... but my hard belive is that nos and ladder is the best way to get a perfect timing from a digital source...especially from i2s.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3,545 of 11,260
feeded via i2s from the pwt. Does anyone know if sync affected the sound? I get noise from i2s if sync is off...

The I2S synchronizer jumper "Off or = 0" is a higher bandwidth, tighter lock window mode for I2S inputs. With jumper "On" the clock recovery window is widened to accept more deviation in the incoming signal. But the result with jumper "On" is slightly more jitter in the recovered clock. Affect is minimal but I can hear a slight difference in sound quality as the soundstage is narrowed a bit and not as extended in the highs. Much like comparing Amanero USB to the Singxer SU-1 HDMI I2S. If you have PLL = 1 then try turning this off.

That is interesting the PWT/ R8 are having issues. Never have any issue with the Singxers (F1 and SU-1) on either the R7 or M7S. I did though have noise issues when using a Gustard U12 several years ago.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,546 of 11,260
Absolutly, exact my expiriance. Surprising, it is not as wide as sync of...i thought it might be the snake....
Im not in the condition to start the pwt via i2s with n2...no source change on the r8, no stop start, on off with the pwt...noise is there.
And if i change sync from on to off, i am adding the noise!

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,547 of 11,260
You may want to contact Kingwa. Signal quality can affect I2S operation for sure. Source clock stability is another but hard to imagine the PWT having poor clocks. Cable can make a difference. Try using a longer or shorter HDMI cable just for a test.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #3,549 of 11,260
I'm liking NOS 2 as well with V3A on the R7. Smooth highs and good bass. But I keep going back to OS 4x as well. The highs get a little aggressive with OS 8x and more balanced in OS 4x. NOS 2 is warmer and slightly more relaxed in very good, comforting way. I can't decide which I like better! Using Singxer SU-1 HDMI I2S on Input 5 today.

Same here. i think i prefer os8 if not for some slight aggressiveness in the highs which seriously makes me think of going class-a to drive my speakers. But enough acquisitions lately, so i will delay any expensive upgrade.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,550 of 11,260
Like with V2A I am slowly warming up to V3A OS 8x. This is after a 4 hr. warmup and the R7 smooths out a bit. The R7 display DSP mode controls makes it easy to compare settings in real time. Differences are subtle and not easy to identify with jumpers and power restarts. The confusion factor goes way down.

I am waiting on a cable to arrive to finally give the Allo Usbridge a compare versus the SU-1 connected to a PC. And yes, I am done with purchases for a while! (Until something else comes along!!).

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,555 of 11,260
MY new speakers are not power-hungry. I just need 30w of top quality amplification. I don’t have room for huge amps. I could manage with a master-3 but as i said, i only need 30w.

You may want to make a custom 4pin XLR to banana plug cable to try your NFB-1AMP driving speakers. The NFB-1AMP should be able to output around 25W at 8ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back