New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,376 of 11,368
Kudos to Kingwa. He did the heck of a job with this firmware. Even with recent recordings, nos 3 is so good. It sounds so analog. Very very very close to an actual analog device. But better becaus of the blacker background and superior resolution. As i mentioned, bass response is awesome, like perfect. The color is warm and cold at the same time. Like close to a perfect balance. THis dac has never sounded so analog. Just beautiful.

And on top of all the dynamics are also great. Plenty of punch my friends. I am in shock.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,377 of 11,368
Kudos to Kingwa. It did the heck of a job with this firmware. Even with recent recordings, nos 3 is so good. It sounds so analog. Very very very close to an actual analog device. But better becaus of the blacker background and superior resolution. As i mentioned, bass response is awesome, like perfect. The color is warm and cold at the same time. Like close to a perfect balance. THis dac has never sounded so analog. Just beautiful.
This makes sense as analogue recordings are inherently more organic and should not be upsampled. Possibly the NOS got the advantage of OS, like even more resolving and detailed? Though I have not really listened to OS which I presume is more detaileand refined. I am wondering if it is worth sending my R2R7 back to Magna and have the upgrades including the panel for software updates. I am just not comfortable changing the panel myself. I presume the lack if sampling rates make the new panel less intrusive so it won’t really affect the sound. Would adding the panel for software update mean the USB blaster is no longer needed? Is it going to be much more convenient ?

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #3,379 of 11,368
This makes sense as analogue recordings are inherently more organic and should not be upsampled. Possibly the NOS got the advantage of OS, like even more resolving and detailed? Though I have not really listened to OS which I presume is more detaileand refined. I am wondering if it is worth sending my R2R7 back to Magna and have the upgrades including the panel for software updates. I am just not comfortable changing the panel myself. I presume the lack if sampling rates make the new panel less intrusive so it won’t really affect the sound. Would adding the panel for software update mean the USB blaster is no longer needed? Is it going to be much more convenient ?
In fact, nos3 does not lack any detail. It’s a non issue.

Yes indeed, the back panel update includes a built-in blaster so you no need to take the cover off ever afterwards.

But Kingwa will release a v3 version for the r2r 7 soon, i have been told.

I don ‘t recommend to people without diy experience to do the upgrade, it is quite hard.

Once you have settled on your fav. mode, the upgrade is not very useful. It is useful when a new firmware is released however.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,381 of 11,368
@FredA , do you know when Kingwa will make available V3 for R2R 7? Can't wait to try improvements with NOS 3. Do you know if V3 will have the 3 versions (S, A and S/A)? Thanks!

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #3,382 of 11,368
Within the next 2 weeks i was told. Not sure to what extent nos3 was improved as i had not tried with v2. Yes, the 3 versions should be available.

Again tbe difference between os 8 and nos 3 is so subtle. os 8 is just slightly sharper. On certain tracks i prefer it. Sharper attacks but a bit edgy in comparison.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #3,383 of 11,368
Another winning combination is os 8 with dithering on. Can’t tell now but i could prefer it over nos 3. The edginess disappears but the attacks remain sharper compared to nos3.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #3,384 of 11,368
Another winning combination is os 8 with dithering on. Can’t tell now but i could prefer it over nos 3. The edginess disappears but the attacks remain sharper compared to nos3.
What's your winning combination so far with V3 Fred? Considering you can now a/b instantly...

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #3,385 of 11,368
What's your winning combination so far with V3 Fred? Considering you can now a/b instantly...
Os8 with dithering. Listening to it right now. The difference are subtle but there. Between os8 and nos3, the sound is over 98% the same. Nos3 is more analog but lacks just a bit of energy on the attacks. Os8 is a little less analog and a bit edgy. Os8 with dithering is an excellent compromise that i could listen to for a long time. Good stuff.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #3,386 of 11,368
Os8 with dithering. Listening to it right now. The difference are subtle but there. Between os8 and nos3, the sound is over 98% the same. Nos3 is more analog but lacks just a bit of energy on the attacks. Os8 is a little less analog and a bit edgy. Os8 with dithering is an excellent compromise that i could listen to for a long time. Good stuff.
Do check out NOS 2, lots of slam/energy for me.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #3,388 of 11,368
Just switched to it, not bad at all! Plenty of slam!
Yah!, It has been a while since I heard NOS3 (too lazy top switch using jumpers!) but from what I remember NOS2 has a bit wider sound stage or mainly more open airy sound & perhaps better separation of instruments than NOS3 (at least for V2) . NOS3 is more forgiving, top notes has no edginess. NOS2 can be a bit cranky if you feed bad recording and it just spits out crap without trying to make it better. With your Volumio I think NOS 2 would work quite well. I am using Euphony OS, so far very nice still with NOS2.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #3,389 of 11,368
Yah!, It has been a while since I heard NOS3 (too lazy top switch using jumpers!) but from what I remember NOS2 has a bit wider sound stage or mainly more open airy sound & perhaps better separation of instruments than NOS3 (at least for V2) . NOS3 is more forgiving, top notes has no edginess. NOS2 can be a bit cranky if you feed bad recording and it just spits out crap without trying to make it better. With your Volumio I think NOS 2 would work quite well. I am using Euphony OS, so far very nice still with NOS2.
Indeed it works. There is a directness with nos2 that i think makes it even closer to the sound of the r2r 11. And nos2 was improved in v3 from the release notes, Even with bad recordings, it is enjoyable. It is more dynamic than os3 for sure, while not as smooth but it is not edgy, just raw. More natural i think.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #3,390 of 11,368
I think it is just great to have all those very good/excellent modes to choose from. Kudos again to Kingwa. With the new faceplate, the firmware update port, and the improved modes, the r-7 is even more the swiss army knife of dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back