New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,346 of 11,304
@remoss Thanks! From you review, i understand that the r-7 is the dac to choose for a hardcore audiophile while the r-8 maximize sound quality per dollar spent and is a really nice dac at this affordable price point. Nice that Audio-gd offers those 2 variations!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,348 of 11,304
Hi Fred, that right, the R-8 is a dac that gives a really good music experience, no doubt about that. But if you want to reach the heaven of experience, the R-7 is your dac. I've heard a lot of equipment but the R-7 (R2R-7) is very hard to beat.
Hi Remoss, which firmware/jumpers combination are you using on you R2R-7? Thanks.

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3,349 of 11,304
Hi Fred, that right, the R-8 is a dac that gives a really good music experience, no doubt about that. But if you want to reach the heaven of experience, the R-7 is your dac. I've heard a lot of equipment but the R-7 (R2R-7) is very hard to beat.
I love my r2r-7. Next week, it will have become a r-7. Tricky dac to master, like a race horse, but great dac indeed. When at its top, the sound is simply perfect. Imaging, details, smoothness, dynamics. All checked. Not for people who listen to sound, but rather for those who listen to good, well recorded music,

I just ordered a rather inexpensive analysis plus oval pro power cord to try with it. As i needed an additional power cord to feed the lps that will in turn feed my new rpi, i thought: why not?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #3,351 of 11,304
@remoss Thanks for your review of the R8! I learned a lot from the review and now better understand the differences comparing to the R7. Like the R8’s thinner chassis metal, lighter center transformer, single printed circuit board, and fewer inputs with simplified digital FPGA circuits. And including mostly SMT components makes the R8 less costly to manufacture.

The R8 has plenty of detail but the R7 provides more micro-detail, finesse, and space. Understand that perfectly as I get the same conclusion comparing the M7S with the R2R 7.

What variation of core DSP firmware is loaded in the R8? Does it compare (sound) in any way to the last V2 Smooth for the R2R 7? Thanks again for sharing!

Oh... and which input/ source did you use and which inputs did you prefer best!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3,352 of 11,304
Hi DACladder, there is clearly a family-like-sound, but the R-7 does win every comparison in therm of detail. I compared with smooth firmware on both both the R8 and R-7. Later also wit the smooth/accurate on the R-7. Didn't load accurate on the R-8 though.
I compared HDMI I2S on both only.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,353 of 11,304
Hi DACladder, there is clearly a family-like-sound, but the R-7 does win every comparison in therm of detail. I compared with smooth firmware on both both the R8 and R-7. Later also wit the smooth/accurate on the R-7. Didn't load accurate on the R-8 though.

What were you impressions about the firmwares? Which one did you like the most and why?

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #3,354 of 11,304

Excellent... apples to apples comparison!

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,355 of 11,304
So y mean they are both having similar sound quality and characteristics? Just R-7 does it better ?

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #3,356 of 11,304
What were you impressions about the firmwares? Which one did you like the most and why?
On the R-8 I only used smooth, so i can't tell the difference with accurate. It will be some more revealing i expect, but still not as much as the R-7 On the R-7 i prefer the S/A combi, just that little more bite and micro detail than smooth firmware.

So y mean they are both having similar sound quality and characteristics? Just R-7 does it better ?
Yep, for characteristics that's about right. For quality, more revealing of micro details is more quality for me :wink:

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,357 of 11,304

I like the V2 Accurate firmware for my system. It took months to reach that point as I initially liked Smooth best. I made many changes to my system when the used (well broken in) review sample R2R 7 was received in July 2018. The R2R 7 is so revealing I had to wait months for these new components to settle down as each was very noticeable. It was overwhelming so backed out of all changes and went back to the Master 7 Singularity. So best advice is to make one change at a time otherwise you will be fooled and confused (like me!). Smooth is a good choice though for new R7s in the run-in period. Kingwa said he loads Smooth on production units.

I got hooked on V2 Accurate when loading firmware on the Master 7 Singularity. Accurate brings more clarity to the old M7S. So moving to the R2R 7 my recent component changes settled down and could further appreciate V2 Accurate. Accurate has good tight bass and more clarity in the highs versus Smooth.

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,358 of 11,304
I like the V2 Accurate firmware for my system. It took months to reach that point as I initially liked Smooth best. I made many changes to my system when the used (well broken in) review sample R2R 7 was received in July 2018. The R2R 7 is so revealing I had to wait months for these new components to settle down as each was very noticeable. It was overwhelming so backed out of all changes and went back to the Master 7 Singularity. So best advice is to make one change at a time otherwise you will be fooled and confused (like me!). Smooth is a good choice though for new R7s in the run-in period. Kingwa said he loads Smooth on production units.

I got hooked on V2 Accurate when loading firmware on the Master 7 Singularity. Accurate brings more clarity to the old M7S. So moving to the R2R 7 my recent component changes settled down and could further appreciate V2 Accurate. Accurate has good tight bass and more clarity in the highs versus Smooth.
Scott, have you tried the hybrid Smooth/Accurate?

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #3,359 of 11,304
Scott, have you tried the hybrid Smooth/Accurate?

Yes, I did try S/A many times. It is a good blend of Smooth and Accurate. I just like Accurate (OS 8x) a bit more after the dust has settled.

I find these firmware loads help fine tune a system for your tastes and liking. There is really no right or wrong on what you eventually choose.

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,360 of 11,304
I just received my R-8 yesterday! I'm still newbie for terms, but my initial impressions were surprisingly good! I'm coming from:

Furman ss6b - > ifi acpurifier - > W10 pc - > Schiit Mimby via toslink - > Garage 1217 Polaris - > Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon (boost pads) w/ garage 1217 attenuator. No special cables.

I'm using NOS mode 3 with it, PPL and syn off, usb 2.0 port. Custom option of two TCXO's and 2nd set of RCA's. No usb isolator since i'm waiting for my transport.

Mainly listened with flac and asio thru musicbee

Swapping the mimby for the r-8 was weird at first.The most obvious thing for me was the larger soundstage! I eventually noticed more tactile plucks of strings feeling less smeared. It felt like going to 4k from a 1080p monitor! Details so clear, yet not harsh! I'd usually fatigue in my right ear quickly with the mimby, but it was hard to do so with the r-8!

If this is how it sounds BEFORE end user burn in and my cable, transport, and amp upgrades. . . I'm really excited when I get them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back