New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 25, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #287 of 11,260
Testing the headphone amp with my MA900. Running low gain around 7 oclock. Now this headphone is pretty easy to drive but because it is also extremely low impedance it can cause problems. There's no noise with the R2R11. Speaking of, I've found my end game. There's nothing else I need in my life. It sounds better than the Mojo on all levels. More detailed, just as smooth, excellent expansive soundstage. Seems to be a baby R2R7 by all accounts.... It has power, clarity and works with all my applications and just sounds sublime. The fact this thing is 350$ is unbelievable. I am stunned.

I don't need one but... I need one for the office.

What is the discount?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #290 of 11,260
Don't buy it. The unit is too good to be true. Besides, you could then compare it to the R2R7 and nobody wants that :p

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #291 of 11,260
Hi everyone I'm upgrading my DAC and i did my research and decided to buy singularity 19 . When I contact magna hifi to order it thy reply :
I want to inform you about a new product from Audio-GD which will replace the Singularity 19. In fact the R2R boards will be replaced for DA8 boards, like in the R2R 7 (only single ended) The new model will be R2R-2.

This model will support DSD too
It will cost 50 euro more (including VAT)

Of course you can also buy this model, no problem at all but I just want to avoid disappointment later on. The new model will be available in less than 2 weeks.

I'll appreciate any help to make this choice :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #292 of 11,260
Hi everyone I'm upgrading my DAC and i did my research and decided to buy singularity 19 . When I contact magna hifi to order it thy reply :
I want to inform you about a new product from Audio-GD which will replace the Singularity 19. In fact the R2R boards will be replaced for DA8 boards, like in the R2R 7 (only single ended) The new model will be R2R-2.

This model will support DSD too
It will cost 50 euro more (including VAT)

Of course you can also buy this model, no problem at all but I just want to avoid disappointment later on. The new model will be available in less than 2 weeks.

I'll appreciate any help to make this choice :)

The new boards look better made and they are a cheaper variation of the flagship da-7. So my inclination is to tell you to wait for the new dac to be released. It should be really good. Could the king under 1k.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #294 of 11,260
Doing some cable swapping tonight. I found the highs to be a little too present right now. Replaced the homemade plussound acss to the pre by a DHC cable i had in hand. Good move so far.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #295 of 11,260
I listen to too much music already... Need to pass on it.
that's the truth, and the R2R7 really isn't helping matters. This is worse than when I got my first TV -- some days I get home from work and binge listen past midnight. Sleep, rinse, repeat.

Just crossed the 200hr mark and hear are some takeaways from last night:

With prior DACs, playing 1644 was much improved by upsampling on the fly. Since the R2R7 is already doing 8x I figured I turn it off (my computer is underpowered anyway), and things still sound great (maybe better).

Muse - tracks 2/5/6/11/12 of The 2nd Law album. In hifi I consider recordings like this to be guilty pleasures, and my prior DACs didn't leave much for pleasure. This is music that likes to be played loud but these DACs forced my hand turning the volume down to the point where nothing fatigues, and now I'm listening to Muse at background levels. I'm pretty sure these earlier DACs drove me into genres that they liked more than I (I'm talking about you Jazz). Fast forward to the R2R7 -- I was cranking Muse and loving it.

I've got two Musica Nuda albums -- just a double-bass and vocalist, everything is clean and delineated. It'll sound hifi on any system, but on some tracks her voice get's hot. With the R2R7 the hot spots were controlled better than I was used to, but I was being bothered by loud passages where she's either too close to the mic or the mic was too hot -- I was hearing more mic distortion than I had in the past. Really takes you out of the moment like when you're streaming a movie and frames drop during a high action sequence. The other thing I noticed was the pluck of the bass would decay with a rattling buzz. My friend's system is amazing and he detected it immediately, and now with the R2R7 I am to. It's like one of the strings is threaded with a loose necklace bead.

so, I thought it funny that last night I was more critical of Musica Nuda than Muse

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #296 of 11,260
Testing the headphone amp with my MA900. Running low gain around 7 oclock. Now this headphone is pretty easy to drive but because it is also extremely low impedance it can cause problems. There's no noise with the R2R11. Speaking of, I've found my end game. There's nothing else I need in my life. It sounds better than the Mojo on all levels. More detailed, just as smooth, excellent expansive soundstage. Seems to be a baby R2R7 by all accounts.... It has power, clarity and works with all my applications and just sounds sublime. The fact this thing is 350$ is unbelievable. I am stunned.

+2
Value for money at this price, great for a alternative setup.
I ll put my Money on its bigger brother pending further developments.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #297 of 11,260
I could get it and compare the stack to my master7+master8 and try r2r 11 + master 8 also.

EDIT: I can't buy anything from audio-gd, I'm from Chile. :triportsad: Seems DHL or others can't ship to my country from China.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #298 of 11,260
that's the truth, and the R2R7 really isn't helping matters. This is worse than when I got my first TV -- some days I get home from work and binge listen past midnight. Sleep, rinse, repeat.

Just crossed the 200hr mark and hear are some takeaways from last night:

With prior DACs, playing 1644 was much improved by upsampling on the fly. Since the R2R7 is already doing 8x I figured I turn it off (my computer is underpowered anyway), and things still sound great (maybe better).

Muse - tracks 2/5/6/11/12 of The 2nd Law album. In hifi I consider recordings like this to be guilty pleasures, and my prior DACs didn't leave much for pleasure. This is music that likes to be played loud but these DACs forced my hand turning the volume down to the point where nothing fatigues, and now I'm listening to Muse at background levels. I'm pretty sure these earlier DACs drove me into genres that they liked more than I (I'm talking about you Jazz). Fast forward to the R2R7 -- I was cranking Muse and loving it.

I've got two Musica Nuda albums -- just a double-bass and vocalist, everything is clean and delineated. It'll sound hifi on any system, but on some tracks her voice get's hot. With the R2R7 the hot spots were controlled better than I was used to, but I was being bothered by loud passages where she's either too close to the mic or the mic was too hot -- I was hearing more mic distortion than I had in the past. Really takes you out of the moment like when you're streaming a movie and frames drop during a high action sequence. The other thing I noticed was the pluck of the bass would decay with a rattling buzz. My friend's system is amazing and he detected it immediately, and now with the R2R7 I am to. It's like one of the strings is threaded with a loose necklace bead.

so, I thought it funny that last night I was more critical of Musica Nuda than Muse

So, Wynnystky , I guess you passed the point where things get even better now? Just curious.

As for me, i switched from a diy power bar i had assembled a month ago to my former qlshifi f-1000. Much prefer the latter. My setup is perfect with it. This power bar uses some voodoo liquid metal filtering as opposed to the common LC circuit. Seems to work, the soundstage is clearly better with it and the sound is SMOOTH.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #299 of 11,260
So, Wynnystky , I guess you passed the point where things get even better now? Just curious.
I'm at the 400 hour and can't be certain things are as good as they were at 50 and 200. For me tracking hours is difficult so this time I'm using a google sheet that's summing a column of daily hours. If any component had an odometer it should be the R2R7. I've had 3 audiophiles over already and the consensus is that it's easily the most analog source I've had going for me. This evening I plan to open it up for the first time.

Today I may be getting an unexpected visitor -- a direct heated triode R2R DAC. It's pretty old school -- no FPGA, two chassis, twice the weight, twice the price. It'll be my R2R7's first A/B.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #300 of 11,260
I'm at the 400 hour and can't be certain things are as good as they were at 50 and 200. For me tracking hours is difficult so this time I'm using a google sheet that's summing a column of daily hours. If any component had an odometer it should be the R2R7. I've had 3 audiophiles over already and the consensus is that it's easily the most analog source I've had going for me. This evening I plan to open it up for the first time.

Today I may be getting an unexpected visitor -- a direct heated triode R2R DAC. It's pretty old school -- no FPGA, two chassis, twice the weight, twice the price. It'll be my R2R7's first A/B.
Looking forward to the outcome of the comparison, if it occurs. The r2r 7 is more analog than the M7. It's a good indication.

This dac is tricky with power, as was the M7. Cable, outlets, power distributor. All this can change the sound. It is well worth doing some swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back