New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,927 of 11,368
Thinking about picking up the Audio-GD R2R 7. I do not want to modify it other than maybe switching some jumpers. Is this still a good value or are there better DAC options in this price range? Thanks for your help.
No better option in this price range, just make sure you are either using external DDC such as Singxer SU1 or a dedicated Pc into I2S connection

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,928 of 11,368
How much burn time do you have? Be patient, your dac will improve until about 1000-1100 hours. Mine has no issue with dsd, it could be due to the fact that it has 2000-3000 hours on it.
Only have the R2R7 for about 3 wks, so not really burned in, and it often take a few days to warm up after a power cycle. Yesterday the PCM is sounding way better now, after playing it straight for 2 days (with some breaks as the Internet radio signal dropped off often so it stopped playing intermittently). I have been using the repeat button (so small!) since yesterday night for fulltime burn-in. Now it sounds less rough and more resolving. It is always bad idea to play PCM after DSD as DSD still sounds so much better at the moment. So after playing DSD, it takes a while for the R2R7 to warm up to play PCM well again. Also I heard the F-1 takes 500hrs of burn in as well which may explain why currently CD via AES sounds so much better.

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #2,930 of 11,368
Some users feel internal F1 board may work as well as external DDC. I have yet to test mine (which has F1) if I do also get DDC in future. But need more burn-in time for now.
Yeah, that F1 uses Xmos. I don’t doubt it works better, Amanero just sucks LOL...sometimes I want to be in denial but....anyways, the guy doesn’t want to do modifications

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,933 of 11,368
Thanks. Which do you think would be better? Singxer SU-1 or Pink Faun I2S Bridge?
@davidnow just listed another option for you, the mango streamer, but I think it is a streamer only ? Not sure

Singer Su-1 is a DDC and it can be hooked into many systems

Pinkfaun I2S needs you to build a dedicated PC. You can opt for a cheaper Pinkfaun card without OCXO upgrades, but building a computer will be about as expensive as the R2R7 itself. It is the best way to feed the R2R7 though, just IMO. Beside that, a PC can do many things, including Roon

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #2,935 of 11,368
Yeah, that F1 uses Xmos. I don’t doubt it works better, Amanero just sucks LOL...sometimes I want to be in denial but....anyways, the guy doesn’t want to do modifications
It appears amanero uses an inferior clock, there is actually an upgraded Amanero on sale with the same clock that F-1 uses but to do that you may have to replace entire board, unless u know how to just switch the clock.

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,936 of 11,368
The idea of I2S direct to DAC is excellent but unfortunately most streamers do not or no longer have that option. Pinkfaun also make their own streamers but unfortunately no DSD via I2S, and Mano can only do DSD64 via I2S. The mysterious Aune s5 apparently can do everything from AES/USB to I2S1024 but we are not sure about it's actual quality yet.

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,938 of 11,368
@davidnow just listed another option for you, the mango streamer, but I think it is a streamer only ? Not sure

Singer Su-1 is a DDC and it can be hooked into many systems

Pinkfaun I2S needs you to build a dedicated PC. You can opt for a cheaper Pinkfaun card without OCXO upgrades, but building a computer will be about as expensive as the R2R7 itself. It is the best way to feed the R2R7 though, just IMO. Beside that, a PC can do many things, including Roon

Thanks for solidifying my decision on purchasing the R2R 7. I was already 90% there. If I opt for the Pinkfaun without the OCXO, do I still need to a clock? FYI, I currently have a built computer that can handle this. I was either going to go the Matrix Audio X-Hi USB -> Singxer SU-1 -or- the Pink Faun (non-OCXO upgrade). Definitely leaning towards the Pink Faun route.

Ultimately I am thinking about something like this:

Pink Faun (non-OCXO upgrade) -> I2S -> R2R 7 DAC -> ACSS -> Master 9 Amp -> Dual XLR 3 pin or 4pin XLR -> LCD-4/ HE-6/ HD800S/ AB-1266/ etc

Is there anything else I should be thinking about in this system? Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,939 of 11,368
Thinking about picking up the Audio-GD R2R 7. I do not want to modify it other than maybe switching some jumpers. Is this still a good value or are there better DAC options in this price range? Thanks for your help.
Some will say the hugo 2 is better. The new upcoming r-8 (cost reduced r2r 7) is the best bang for the buck on paper.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,940 of 11,368
Thanks for solidifying my decision on purchasing the R2R 7. I was already 90% there. If I opt for the Pinkfaun without the OCXO, do I still need to a clock? FYI, I currently have a built computer that can handle this. I was either going to go the Matrix Audio X-Hi USB -> Singxer SU-1 -or- the Pink Faun (non-OCXO upgrade). Definitely leaning towards the Pink Faun route.

Ultimately I am thinking about something like this:

Pink Faun (non-OCXO upgrade) -> I2S -> R2R 7 DAC -> ACSS -> Master 9 Amp -> Dual XLR 3 pin or 4pin XLR -> LCD-4/ HE-6/ HD800S/ AB-1266/ etc

Is there anything else I should be thinking about in this system? Thanks.

You are pretty much set, the OCXO is a luxury upgrade if you want to go full blown, only if your computer is running on a Linear power supply or a battery supply. Otherwise, it would be more like wasted. Make sure when you order the Pinkfaun, it is configured for AudioGD r2r7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back