New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,446 of 11,260
The difference between the accurate fw and the v2 is significant. A lot in common, but a much different presentation. Not a subtle difference. With the cable and opamp tweaks, i am very close to total satisfaction (very close to the accurate fw balance, only smoother and more laid back). Looking forward to getting new opamps for my master-1 pre to improve bass response. Easy swap as i assume they are sockets, could be wrong, haven't opened the pre yet. I will cancel the swap if soldering is involved.

FredA, could you keep me posted on your op-amp trials with your Master-1? please let me know if they are easy to swap, and what difference they make. Where are you getting the new op-amps? My Master 1 is a number of years old, not the latest rendition. Does this change bring it up to the latest spec?

Thanks

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #2,447 of 11,260
I started the confusion -- I thought @FredA was looking to install Xilinx but I read again and he's saying he wants to download Altera V3.
Come on Fred -- V2 is like a week old already!

FredA -- before flashing V3 I suggest you first figure out how to flip phase [in realtime] in your playback software so you can find out which is crispier on your test track (clapping, finger snaps, impulse response stuff). Then repeat that test on V3.
Yes, i will. On v2, which i still have, it's with polarity inverted it seems. Kingwa sent me two brighter fws to try out though so i might prioritize testing them.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,448 of 11,260
FredA, could you keep me posted on your op-amp trials with your Master-1? please let me know if they are easy to swap, and what difference they make. Where are you getting the new op-amps? My Master 1 is a number of years old, not the latest rendition. Does this change bring it up to the latest spec?

Thanks
I will post something here.

No, it won't bring it to the latest spec (it's really not a big difference anyway i assume between the latest and my 2014). It will just give it slightly better bass and a shorter warm-up time, from comments i read . i don't turn my M-1 off ever, that said

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,449 of 11,260
I went back to V2 (R7S2.jic c/s 0292E0F5) OS x8 and sounds like more bottom end versus V3 (R7S3.jic). Plus the highs are smoother with V2. V3 highs are more like old Accurate where they sound great at lower volume but get more grating and congested on double forte loud music. V3 doesn't draw me into the music quite the same as V2 does either. Perhaps absolute phase is flipped on my system but don't believe so.

Maybe I am hallucinating... I need an intervention with my coffee klatsch...

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,450 of 11,260
Another forum member told me the R7S2 and R7S3 versions of the firmware that Kingwa gave to me are intended for multiple external I2S input DACs where I2S works on Input 4. Toslink on IN4 requires another build of firmware to get that work. I do not have the Toslink capable versions of the firmware which would actually be correct for my R2R 7 but I never use Toslink. Contact Kingwa if you need.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,451 of 11,260
Another forum member told me the R7S2 and R7S3 versions of the firmware that Kingwa gave to me are intended for multiple external I2S input DACs where I2S works on Input 4. Toslink on IN4 requires another build of firmware to get that work. I do not have the Toslink capable versions of the firmware which would actually be correct for my R2R 7 but I never use Toslink. Contact Kingwa if you need.
I do have the version for Toslink IN4. In fact, we've been very busy with Kingwa trying to sort it out, we've tried no less than 5 different versions. Just a couple of hours ago I've installed one of the two latest version he sent me. Everything is working stable so far.

I'm surprised to read some of you are noticing any difference between S2 and S3, because I didn't. I've just asked Kingwa in a recent mail if he was forced to make any compromises between S2 and S3 and the one to correct my Toslink IN4 version in order to make it work.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,452 of 11,260
@barbas Thanks! We don't need any more confusion. Just to confirm (and get me out of the doghouse) which versions do not work with Toslink? I have no working input on IN4 so can't test any mode.

It sounds a little smoother with V2 with my old tired ears using I2S and headphones. A touch more bass, clarity in highs, and little bigger stage. Slight but noticeable.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,453 of 11,260
@barbas Thanks! We don't need any more confusion. Just to confirm (and get me out of the doghouse) which versions do not work with Toslink? I have no working input on IN4 so can't test any mode.

It sounds a little smoother with V2 with my old tired ears using I2S and headphones. A touch more bass, clarity in highs, and little bigger stage. Slight but noticeable.
Doesn't v2 have issues with stability?

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,454 of 11,260
R7S2 (V2) doesn't work correctly on my system in NOS mode only. OS x8 always sounds OK. I believe @barbas had issues in either OS or NOS with V2. V3 works fine in any mode for me.

There are other versions of V2 that have better stability in NOS on my system. But have a listen for yourself. I am using I2S Singxers on both IN5 and IN6 as my sources.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,455 of 11,260
R7S2 (V2) doesn't work correctly on my system in NOS mode only. OS x8 always sounds OK. I believe @barbas had issues in either OS or NOS with V2. V3 works fine in any mode for me.

There are other versions of V2 that have better stability in NOS on my system. But have a listen for yourself. I am using I2S Singxers on both IN5 and IN6 as my sources.
How many versions of the new fw are there? Getting really confused.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,456 of 11,260
@FredA There are many it seems. I found out today you do actually need a different version whether Toslink or I2S on Input 4. You mentioned more versions to increase the highs I think....

That is why my involvement for distribution is limited. Kingwa lets me know what he wants tested by the forum members. And I want to keep it that way for obvious reasons! As I really don't have a firm understanding of the different variations.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #2,457 of 11,260
image.jpg
Swapping ics and firmwares.

Got a smoother, more laidback accurate firmware, it seems. Similar to the accurate i got used to during the last 6 months but easier on the ears, Like it quite a lot so far. I am swapping ics with it now.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,458 of 11,260
Let's see if I can clarify the history of these firmware versions:

R7S2 - The first version distributed by Scott. Unstable for many of us, for some just NOS, for me NOS 3 and OS x8. After this Kingwa re-wrote the code and sent to me an internal version which was rock solid in every input but no IN4 (optical) signal (he told he would address it as soon as the firmware was stable)
R7S3 - The latest OFFICIAL (stable) release for users with IN4 i2s (maybe the same one I tested previously for him)

After this, Kingwa sent me numerous versions to address IN4 optical not working, he managed to solve it but glitches started to appear in NOS mode 3. Finally, yesterday he sent me the latest beta which is working perfectly so far. After confirming stability I will ask Kingwa to give permission to distribute it for IN4 optical users.

He also answered me that the code and sound quality is exactly de same as R7S3. Not sure thought if R7S3 and R7S2 are the same sound signature, I was busy concentrating on glitches, but I didn't hear any noticeable differences.

I'm finding this firmware sounding exquisit on NOS 3, just better than before in every aspect.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,459 of 11,260
Thanks @barbas Yea, don’t go by my account on which is best. I can see where one may prefer one over the other. Try then all and see what you can find. I sure will!

Did Kingwa flip absolute phase on R7S3 vs R7S2? Sounds like he did not perhaps.

If you want me to host a new version after more testing let me know. Thank you!

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #2,460 of 11,260
Kingwa just answered me re S3 vs S2 sound signature, hope this clears some fogginess:

Dear Diego,
They are different.
S3 or V2 version is fixed the bug and improved on the timing than S2 .
Kignwa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back