New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,996 of 11,368
I love this PC and the screen. Sound quality is awesome with such good display! Yeah, I have no means to put the display fixed to the chassis anytime soon. I prefer it being removable and independent just the way it is.

I used the cables that comes with HDPlex and it 5V output directly into the Pinkfaun as shown. It works perfectly fine!

Congratulations on the PF gear... quite impre$$ive stuff :slight_smile:
If you do not mind, 2 questions...
What HDMI cable and length are you using for the i2s?
Is that display touch sensitive, or are you using mouse/keyboard for control ?

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #1,997 of 11,368
Congratulations on the PF gear... quite impre$$ive stuff :slight_smile:
If you do not mind, 2 questions...
What HDMI cable and length are you using for the i2s?
Is that display touch sensitive, or are you using mouse/keyboard for control ?
Thank you !
Pangea 1m hdmi
Yes, capacitive touchscreen

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,998 of 11,368
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,999 of 11,368
Jun 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #2,000 of 11,368

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #2,001 of 11,368
Nice work.

I tend to agree with the review overall. Just two small points i want to mention:

1. The r2r 7 really needs to warm up over a very long period. I would say 24 hours.
2. When you get the i2s transport right with the accurate firmware, which is tricky (dac settings, cable, groud loops and all), you are rewarded by very convincing depth layering. Not like cardboards with flat level of depth but something more realistic, with the instrument having some sort of depth in themselves.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #2,002 of 11,368
Nice work.

I tend to agree with the review overall. Just two small points i want to mention:

1. The r2r 7 really needs to warm up over a very long period. I would say 24 hours.
2. When you get the i2s transport right with the accurate firmware, which is tricky (dac settings, cable, groud loops and all), you are rewarded by very convincing depth layering. Not like cardboards with flat level of depth but something more realistic, with the instrument having some sort of depth in themselves.

1/ I agree, I thought my r2r7 needs to get warmed up at the least of 1 hour, but you are correct, it sounds better when left on overnight...the first piece of gear I am doing that...never gonna turn off unless needed
2/ totally agree here

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,005 of 11,368
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,006 of 11,368
You know what ? The DAC from Kingwa, the R2R7 is so good that if you hear any hissing, noises, glares, and need to use DSP to sound good, your sources need to be beefed up. Yet, I keep on saying this. Today, I will make another statement.

There has not been any equipment that can give me up/down/mixed emotions and feelings like the R2R7. I know what I am looking for, and so I went about with my PC build. Today, I tweaked Bios, Jriver and Asio4All to the lowest latency, and I turned off Jriver Dithering option to stay as pure as I could. Also, I set R2R7 into standard mode. 8XOS

The R2R7 does it magic, yes, a lot of Dynamic slams throughout the whole board, the trebles with beautiful, sweet, vivid, airy, fine, and is of the highest resolutions I have ever heard. I literally meant it ! Those glassy edges or glares, ringing, or frequency hiss that you ever heard, it turned into fine airy vivid layer of treble!

Also, the R2R7 needs at least 2 hours to reach into this level (the first equipment I witness this crazy phenomenon) that I keeps it stay on 24/7 now, unless I know I won’t be listening to it the next day. When cold, it still has those glares, hiss, ringing especially treble passages. It just does it more or less depends on the source, it will improve if you leave it on and keep it warm, but if the source is bad, you will need Jumpers , and you will not be able to hear the capability of this beast.

I totally believe the performances of the R2R7 is to be reaching those very expensive high-end DAC. Simply because I am hearing the almost impossible to reproduce treble layering and resolution. When it gets to this level, ofcourse distortions on the mid and low spectrums or floor noises are At the absolutely lowest level.

Since having R2R7, I not only learned many new things that is like an Awakening to me, but I also find another person who is so passionate about Digital Audio and Audio products, and it is Kingwa! For this, I can not say enough “thank you!” To Kingwa. Why did I learn so many things from R2R7 ? Because it is such an honest designs, top tier and when it was set to do 0 DSP, it really does 0 DSP and because of this, I learned about how to hear errors, hissing, glares, treble distortions much more clear than ever before. I learned enough that I spent money to build a server and now I am onto another plane of digital music performances ! Crazy !

*no, I don’t hype* I also am very honest. I don’t expect people to believe me, but I will share it anyways. Here is my final conclusion

You may found R2R7 to be stacking so much technology and beefy designs with cheap pricing, you may have already purchased the unit, and you may have been disappointed with the unit, and when you are disappointed, please remember to Look* into* your* Source* of transportations* !!! I can’t believe that many other DAC are always full of DSP and that you would be missing out on so many things without knowing it!

EDM and modern pop is also one of the genres I enjoy a lot, and when I can clearly tell the real drum plays tonality against synthesized bass beats, a cymbal crash vs synthesized play in these genres, the performances is unbelievable

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,007 of 11,368
This corresponds to my experience with the r2r 7. With each transport upgrade i made, i got a reward. On the best days, the treble gets out of this world. Like tonight. Been saying this for months in fact. These days, the r2r 7 has got so good i don't enjoy my r2r 11 as much. I see more of a difference than before. I am being spoiled.

To make the sound more even from one day to another, i decided to give the ifi ac purifier a try. What's good about it is it can remove common, differential AND ground noise. It's acitve noise cancellation up to 40dB from a lower frequency than most devices on the market, according to ifi, of course. My hope is will help will cell phone inteference, which is a plague these days. My own obervation is that Tuesday night is the best night of the week, with all those kids being at the movies. On Tuesdays, the r2r 7 is without flaw. My friend to whom i sold my Master-7 has the same experience, and he loves it as much as as I did.

I will report on the ac purifier anytime soon. The way it works, there is no current restriction, which is a requirement with power amps and even big audio-gd gears.

In my setup, i have a first powerbar/conditioner that feeds the class-d monoblocks, the Schiit wyrd and and a 500VA isolation tranfo (balanced), which itself feeds a linear supply for the f-1, the r2r 7, the master-1 and the nfb-1amp. I will put the ifi purifier on the first powerbar. If i like it, i will order a second one and put it on the first powerbar as well.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,008 of 11,368
I sold my LKS DA004. Now contemplating my next DAC as I read through this thread.

I'm wondering if this setup would get the best out of the R2R-7?

Out of an Audiophile Optimized PC running Jplay...
PC > ISO-Regen (LPS-1) > Lush USB Cable > SU-1 Kitsune (LPS-1) > Ghent 75ohm Coaxial (DAC?) > Lavardin IT single ended amplifier

My amp is single ended, but I don't think the R2R-2 is in the same league right?

I have experienced two very different DAC's coming from the Hugo 2 then the DA004... both had flaws in my setup.

The Hugo 2 was insanely transparent and colorful, but lacked weight and scale. It was superb through the right headphones, but my speaker setup must come first.
The DA004 was pale by comparison with too much sibilance in the extreme highs, though it had what the Hugo 2 lacked, weight and scale. I just can't win!

I am now DAC-less. I wonder if the R2R-7 is an adventure worth taking?

Regarding the sound I would hope to achieve... I hate piercing highs, leading edges need to be gentle. DA004 was good in this regard, maybe too good. It lacked some liveliness.
I prefer cymbals to be pushed back some (DA004 was too forward)
Basically a clean smooth sound that draws me into the mids (colorful) but plays nicely with distortion and brighter material.

Am I on the right track with the R2R-7?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,009 of 11,368
I sold my LKS DA004. Now contemplating my next DAC as I read through this thread.

I'm wondering if this setup would get the best out of the R2R-7?

Out of an Audiophile Optimized PC running Jplay...
PC > ISO-Regen (LPS-1) > Lush USB Cable > SU-1 Kitsune (LPS-1) > Ghent 75ohm Coaxial (DAC?) > Lavardin IT single ended amplifier

My amp is single ended, but I don't think the R2R-2 is in the same league right?

I have experienced two very different DAC's coming from the Hugo 2 then the DA004... both had flaws in my setup.

The Hugo 2 was insanely transparent and colorful, but lacked weight and scale. It was superb through the right headphones, but my speaker setup must come first.
The DA004 was pale by comparison with too much sibilance in the extreme highs, though it had what the Hugo 2 lacked, weight and scale. I just can't win!

I am now DAC-less. I wonder if the R2R-7 is an adventure worth taking?

Regarding the sound I would hope to achieve... I hate piercing highs, leading edges need to be gentle. DA004 was good in this regard, maybe too good. It lacked some liveliness.
I prefer cymbals to be pushed back some (DA004 was too forward)
Basically a clean smooth sound that draws me into the mids (colorful) but plays nicely with distortion and brighter material.

Am I on the right track with the R2R-7?

I have lks-004, and yes it has excellent dynamic range. It is not sibilants or bright or harshness in my setup ever, even when my source was not superbly good. The 004 is the most high-performances and also so very friendly to use. Your sources is probably too much contaminated through all of those plethora things in the chains without really taking cares of the real problems.

If you are moving onto R2R7, be prepare that the R2R7 will not be as friendly or as tolerances as LKs004. You will not be able to listen to R2R7 if your source is just so....so bad....you would think that all of the problems are the R2R7 itself. I ventured down this road, and I know exactly what it is. Read my previous posts.

My recommendations for you is to start fixing your Source, and your Transducers (headphones) until LKS004 can perform flawlessly (yes, it can) and I will confirm to you that with the right setup and source, the R2R7 will outperform LKS004 (using good source and I2S. I have not yet tested i2s on the 004 though). In this Hobby, everything is relatively involved to another, and there is no such thing as fixing 1 piece to be fixing all...,Nope! None! You need to start looking at the right place, and knowing what you want, be steady, be sensible, and firm. Otherwise, you will just keep going down an endless rabbit holes

**well, you sold your 004** how would you go about fixing your sources or other components in the chain ? I have no clues

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,010 of 11,368
I have lks-004, and yes it has excellent dynamic range. It is not sibilants or bright or harshness in my setup ever, even when my source was not superbly good. The 004 is the most high-performances and also so very friendly to use. Your sources is probably too much contaminated through all of those plethora things in the chains without really taking cares of the real problems.

If you are moving onto R2R7, be prepare that the R2R7 will not be as friendly or as tolerances as LKs004. You will not be able to listen to R2R7 if your source is just so....so bad....you would think that all of the problems are the R2R7 itself. I ventured down this road, and I know exactly what it is. Read my previous posts.

My recommendations for you is to start fixing your Source, and your Transducers (headphones) until LKS004 can perform flawlessly (yes, it can) and I will confirm to you that with the right setup and source, the R2R7 will outperform LKS004 (using good source and I2S. I have not yet tested i2s on the 004 though). In this Hobby, everything is relatively involved to another, and there is no such thing as fixing 1 piece to be fixing all...,Nope! None! You need to start looking at the right place, and knowing what you want, be steady, be sensible, and firm. Otherwise, you will just keep going down an endless rabbit holes

The thing that attracts me to the R2R-7 is how tweak-able it is.
My source won't upsample though, as it is a low powered NUC PC. So that is one consideration.

I did very briefly own the R2R-11, but I sold it straight away. I regret that now, as I shouldn't have judged the R2R sound after only a few days.
Out of the box it was dark and vivid which I liked, but it has no finesse and the bass was horrible. No doubt it needed time to settle in.

The good thing is, you don't see R2R-7's up for sale very often. And I think if it didn't work out it would sell pretty quick.

I am in no rush, so I'll continue to look into it.

Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back