New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 18, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,876 of 11,260

BTW this guy Larry @HDPlex is so nice, that when I was trying to run 7th gen CPUs in thin mini-ITX mobos with only 6th gen IGP support, Larry MAILED me a 6th gen i3 so I could flash the mobo with the latest BIOS supporting my 7th gen processor, then I mailed his CPU back.

it's sad that the industry hasn't released any 19.5v DC input mobos in years (neither STX or thin mini-ITX), but if we have an LPS with ATX outputs then who cares.

May 19, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,877 of 11,260
why is this F1 sounding better than SU1+LPS?!?!
source.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,879 of 11,260
why is this F1 sounding better than SU1+LPS?!?!
The f-1 gives a bass boost through rca. Maybe you need that boost. It seems like you use a lps on the f-1, do you? This makes wonders in my setup.

Do like i did and install a rj45 I2s out. This sounds even better than rca in my experience, and it's quite easy. I bought some thingy to secure the rj45 cable to the case, i could mail you one if you want.

May 19, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,880 of 11,260
The f-1 gives a bass boost through rca. Maybe you need that boost. It seems like you use a lps on the f-1, do you? This makes wonders in my setup.

Do like i did and install a rj45 I2s out. This sounds even better than rca in my experience, and it's quite easy. I bought some thingy to secure the rj45 cable to the case, i could mail you one if you want.

Nice! Even with DDC, the I2S shows superiority over Coax. Just as I thought, I2S is the best possible way to do digital music. I can’t wait for my Pinkfaun :frowning2:

May 19, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,881 of 11,260
The pinkfaun uses fancy oscillators and ultra-low noise supplies. The secret is there. Same with the f-1, and more so with a proper linear supply. The top end gets so refined... The spdif out uses additional circuits so can introduces timing errors. It's all about timing.

The thing with the r2r 7 is it's meant to be used with a a great transport, although it can perform very well with just the amanero. Its high-level accuracy d/a boards makes it not so forgiving IMO.

May 19, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,882 of 11,260
The pinkfaun uses fancy oscillators and ultra-low noise supplies. The secret is there. Same with the f-1, and more so with a proper linear supply. The top end gets so refined... The spdif out uses additional circuits so can introduces timing errors. It's all about timing.

The thing with the r2r 7 is it's meant to be used with a a great transport, although it can perform very well with just the amanero. Its high-level accuracy d/a boards makes it not so forgiving IMO.

Pinkfaun is Direct I2S from the computer right into the I2S into R2R7. Yes it does have fancy TCXO, you can upgrade to top of the line OCXO.
Here is the different from Direct I2S out, in comparison to DDC such as Singxer F1 or SU1, which takes USB and convert it again into I2S, we call it DDC

2 less conversions steps
BFC0BBD5-81F8-44FE-8781-E41755CDA44B.jpeg

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,883 of 11,260
Pinkfaun is Direct I2S from the computer right into the I2S into R2R7. Yes it does have fancy TCXO, you can upgrade to top of the line OCXO.
Here is the different from Direct I2S out, in comparison to DDC such as Singxer F1 or SU1, which takes USB and convert it again into I2S, we call it DDC

2 less conversions steps
That should be awesome. Vibraphone never sounded so good in my setup. I became an amator all of a sudden. Lionel Hampton is great.

May 19, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #1,886 of 11,260

2 less conversions steps
Btw if u go to pink faun site there are streamers that output via 12S -there is even an I2S for 8 Channel playback or u can do 8 separate I2S output. Unfortunately , they don’t do DSD so what is the point? The best thing about the I2S is it can do up to DSD512. Mano Magna can only do DoP DSD 64 via I2S

May 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,887 of 11,260

yeah the guy last night commented on the bass. My system can use it because my horn loaded 15" woofers roll off in the high 30s.
it's not my F1 so I'm not free to mod it. The 200watt LPS is only supplying 19.5v to this 5.5 x 5.8" ASRock (STX)...
upload_2018-5-20_8-30-14.png

I'm a believer in removing USB entirely by using the PinkFaun bridge, but I'm a bit nervous because I prefer spdif/coax from the SU1 and [even more so] from the F1.
Would suck if the i2s chips in the r2r7 were to blame. Looks like the bridge has been out 5 years, and yet I don't see product updates or competing products on the market. Strange no?

In any case my next audio computer build probably won't happen till late 2019 at the earliest (10nm should be stable), and for that one I'd use a thin mini-ITX mobo and plug the bridge into it's PCIe16 slot.
The best I can hope for this year is to follow Fred's path with the rj45 i2s. First I need to sell some stuff and get an F1.

May 20, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,888 of 11,260
yeah the guy last night commented on the bass. My system can use it because my horn loaded 15" woofers roll off in the high 30s.
it's not my F1 so I'm not free to mod it. The 200watt LPS is only supplying 19.5v to this 5.5 x 5.8" ASRock (STX)...

I'm a believer in removing USB entirely by using the PinkFaun bridge, but I'm a bit nervous because I prefer spdif/coax from the SU1 and [even more so] from the F1.
Would suck if the i2s chips in the r2r7 were to blame. Looks like the bridge has been out 5 years, and yet I don't see product updates or competing products on the market. Strange no?

In any case my next audio computer build probably won't happen till late 2019 at the earliest (10nm should be stable), and for that one I'd use a thin mini-ITX mobo and plug the bridge into it's PCIe16 slot.
The best I can hope for this year is to follow Fred's path with the rj45 i2s. First I need to sell some stuff and get an F1.

Pinkfaun ? The first one was 2013 and this is newest one 2018.

Why wait for 10nM ? The current 14nM is already over the head powerful to do a hell lot of things, let alone computing simple tasks such as audio music. What you really care is how the Digital music are being physically processed, jitters, phase noises, and other parameters. That is where Pinkfaun and a good DAC is needed. AudioGD R2R7 is good enough.

Yes, Coax is good, but I2S is even better :D Pinkfaun stated that already, Even Coax/Spdif, will need conversion before decoding, where as I2S, it is Direct and 2 less conversions steps.. I do agree Coax is better than USB as always

2013 version
6B708754-A58B-4444-9702-82FA6448CFEA.jpeg

2018 version
0B3CEAF3-4C4D-4169-A1D2-94F53FFBD0B4.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,889 of 11,260
Why wait for 10nM ?
Of course Intel's 14nm is more than enough. I'm just using manufacturing process as a justification to "throttle" my upgrade procurement cycle.
My server/audio/tv computers are all 14nm. I remember a time when I'd wait for 2 die shrinks.
Another reason to wait is I want to see if the thin mini-ITX form factor is really dead. If it is I'll spend $95 on this and combine it with a regular mini-ITX.
upload_2018-5-20_9-24-16.png

Upgrading to that 400watt ATX LPS is too much of a luxury for me.

May 20, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,890 of 11,260

With i2s, the bass is reduced but is much cleaner. With perhaps better extension. I would say rca is colored in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back