New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,592 of 11,368
I am communicating privately with @Whitigir but the hiss has me scratching my head concerning a possible buy. So will ask questions publicly here.

Does the hiss only occur when rolling a track or present also between tracks? What input? Old analog tracks or also with modern digital recordings. He has no I2S input stated to me earlier.

Edit: Answered above!

Hissing occurs when playing music only, and is definitely frequency based. It is more observable on the high and loud strings play or cymbal splashes. That is modern tracks, I have had no issues with them so far. Neither holospring nor LKS004 has it

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,594 of 11,368
Hmm.,, Hissing is modulated with the music. Like data errors...

Can you try a different input? Sounds like something not quite right.
Yes, it definitely feels like Data processing errors. I tried different modes, and now in NOS0 (6moons). It is definitely more resolving and with more bass controls and bit more biting on the details.

I will try S/PDIF tomorrow and see what is going on with it. Again, neither the lks004 and holospring had any problem with my very same setup of cables and amp pieces.

I will try and flash it with accurate firmware to see if there is problem still ?

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,595 of 11,368
One thing I know is the r2r 7 renders echos very well once burned. And resonances. It could be that these are blurred and will become clearer with time. Maybe the two other dacs just can't reproduce them. It's something that is very hard to reproduce.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,596 of 11,368
Hi all,

I cannot help that this hissing noise You talk about is giving me a gut feeling... that an accidental "hot swop" of a jumper or a HDMI interface could cause this kind of noise.... electrical damage on chip level or software. I am sure all of us are careful but it could be the case ....also with a too short power-off state..
Sorry if I act a bit rude here but I had to say it... -Don't ask how I learned... ; )

/Jan

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,597 of 11,368
I never hotswap anything. Even usb and interconnect XLR Cables.

Every time I put in jumper, not only the unit is off, the ac cord is unplugged, usb is unplugged , XLR are unplugged , and waited for 10 minutes for capacitors discharges. These are very basics electrical knowledge. On amplifier, there are proper discharge steps of capacitors and I know it. I have built several Kevin Gilmore Amps

I never used HDMI

One thing I know is the r2r 7 renders echos very well once burned. And resonances. It could be that these are blurred and will become clearer with time. Maybe the two other dacs just can't reproduce them. It's something that is very hard to reproduce.

That is not correct about the other 2 DAC can not retrieve these information. They actually did and that is how I posted a few posts ago that after replacing stock occ cables, silver cables now makes these messes of details and hissing to be 50% off details and plays for fine trebles. Not sure if burn in help. But I will try flashing the firmware to accurate one

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,598 of 11,368
I never hotswap anything. Even usb and interconnect XLR Cables.

Every time I put in jumper, not only the unit is off, the ac cord is unplugged, usb is unplugged , XLR are unplugged , and waited for 10 minutes for capacitors discharges. These are very basics electrical knowledge. On amplifier, there are proper discharge steps of capacitors and I know it. I have built several Kevin Gilmore Amps

I never used HDMI

That is not correct about the other 2 DAC can not retrieve these information. They actually did and that is how I posted a few posts ago that after replacing stock occ cables, silver cables now makes these messes of details and hissing to be 50% off details and plays for fine trebles. Not sure if burn in help. But I will try flashing the firmware to accurate one
According to your favoring bright sound and accuracy, the accurate fw will certainly suit you. And burn in will help, trust me.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,599 of 11,368
According to your favoring bright sound and accuracy, the accurate fw will certainly suit you. And burn in will help, trust me.

I am agonizingly downloading Xillints software :frowning2:

I do pray that this is software issues. I love the unit enough to have worked on it, otherwise

Yes, my system is very revealing as it is one of the best Electro stats headphones system with properly built cables. So it is very easy to hear changes. Even people who don’t want to believe in Interconnect cables could hear the differences. We tried, trust me.

I hope I can solve this problem. R2r7 is shipped with smooth firmware right ?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,600 of 11,368

I do pray that this is software issues. I love the unit enough to have worked on it, otherwise

Yes, my system is very revealing as it is one of the best Electro stats headphones system with properly built cables. So it is very easy to hear changes. Even people who don’t want to believe in Interconnect cables could hear the differences. We tried, trust me.

To install the accurate fw, your need the altera programmer, not the Xilinx( the Xilinx is for the r2r boards). You don't need the whole archive, just the programmer by the way.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,601 of 11,368

Right

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,602 of 11,368
To install the accurate fw, your need the altera programmer, not the Xilinx( the Xilinx is for the r2r boards). You don't need the whole archive, just the programmer by the way.

I see, then Altera on the main FPGA processor board. What about Xillint ? I see there are 4 ports to do Xillints ? Isn’t Xillints used to correct errors from the ladder ?

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,603 of 11,368
I see, then Altera on the main FPGA processor board. What about Xillint ? I see there are 4 ports to do Xillints ? Isn’t Xillints used to correct errors from the ladder ?
The only update available for the r2r boards, thus the xilinx, are for the popping noise when changing sample/bit rate. No sound quality improvement is included.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,605 of 11,368

There are Xilinx parts on the center digital (two ) and both analog boards. I believe the analog boards only get the latest update. Correct me if I am wrong @FredA

The two digital board Xilinx parts seem to interface the I/O signals with the Altera DSP FPGA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back