New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,876 of 1,962
Just contacted them and Jos reply it was so fast

He said :

I want to inform you about a new product from Audio-GD which will replace the Singularity 19. In fact the R2R boards will be replaced for DA8 boards, like in the R2R 7 (only single ended) The new model will be R2R-2.

What do you think about that?

DAC chosen journey continue :)

R2R-2? I don't know what to make of that at all...

Also very surprised that Singularity 19 would be replaced so soon (it's only approx 1.5 yrs old!). Maybe it didn't sell enough to keep going? No idea.

I guess you should ask yourself if you want to wait to become an "early adopter" of a brand new product (something I wouldn't be willing to do--tho it depends on cost); vs getting one of Audio GD's currently available R2R DACs.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,877 of 1,962
Kingwa said:
The S19 or DAC19 had different NOS design than NOS19.
In the S19 or DAC19, In NOS setting ,sound a bit warmer than 8x oversampling.
NOS19 had not warm sound , but soft or musical, even any NOS mode setting.
S19 is neutral or colder than DAC19.
Its sound flavor close the Singularity 7.
If customer want warmer sound as the DAC19, can custom order, we can adjust few parameter let them sound close.

I am lost now even more than before. Som say the S-19 is the neutral sounding of theme .haw is it warmer sounding than the NOS-19.

I stand corrected - according to the Kingwa post I was referring to and have now found again https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-singularity-19.831737/page-5#post-13289156 - it seems to be an S-19 firmware update that should apply a proper implementation of NOS mode to the S-19. Not sure why I concluded that the DAC-19 would get it too.

Edit: Duh, Pharmaboy already mentioned the website description of the S-19 having NOS-19 implementation.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,878 of 1,962
R2R-2? I don't know what to make of that at all...

Also very surprised that Singularity 19 would be replaced so soon (it's only approx 1.5 yrs old!). Maybe it didn't sell enough to keep going? No idea.

I guess you should ask yourself if you want to wait to become an "early adopter" of a brand new product (something I wouldn't be willing to do--tho it depends on cost); vs getting one of Audio GD's currently available R2R DACs.

Product line upgrades and revisions are pretty common in the hifi world though. All the more for us to get new stuff and sell the old stuff on, keeping the hifi market going.

That said, Kingwa seems to be inspired by the process of designing his own R2R DACs as opposed to sourcing the PCM1704UK - by necessity, of course. He must have been putting it off for quite some time and gotten encouraged by the recent resurgence of R2R DACs within the audiophile community at large. I wouldn't be surprised to see more revisions to come in short order. He's done the DA-M1 from the S-19, DA-7 from the R2R-7 and the DA-8 from the R2R-11 in the span of...less than a year?

For stuff with Kingwa designed R2R modules, we already have the high end balanced DAC, mainstream single ended DAC and entry level DAC/AMP - what's left should be the mainstream balanced DAC, mainstream balanced DAC/AMP and mainstream single ended DAC/AMP.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,880 of 1,962
I received my DAC yesterday. Still didn't had the time to lessen to it probably but there that thing in the setting that bothers me win I set it to 16 bit it works fine but 24 and 32 no sound at all. Any idea how to fix this?

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #1,881 of 1,962
I received my DAC yesterday. Still didn't had the time to lessen to it probably but there that thing in the setting that bothers me win I set it to 16 bit it works fine but 24 and 32 no sound at all. Any idea how to fix this?

Which input are you using? And what is your source? Should have no problems with 32 bit on I2S and USB. SPDIF should do 24 bit by default.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,883 of 1,962
I'm using USB input. And I did install the amanero driver. My source is a windows 10 laptop.

Really shouldn't be anything else required. Make sure your software is using the Amanero WASAPI or ASIO as the output and not using the generic Windows driver and you should have no problems. Try unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable if you don't see it listed.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,884 of 1,962
Really shouldn't be anything else required. Make sure your software is using the Amanero WASAPI or ASIO as the output and not using the generic Windows driver and you should have no problems. Try unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable if you don't see it listed.

I started looking to the setting and did sum changes to them and now it works op to 32 192KHz no more then that
the thing I changed is this

do.php

this is the highest I can get

do.php

wen I tray something higher I get this in foobar 2000

do.php

Edit:

I turned out the 32 bit 384khz work fine in every thing but foobar2000

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,886 of 1,962
That's curious. I have an older DAC-19. Can you give more details please? What version of DAC-19 you heard before? How is sound different from your memory?

thanks

+1 (squared)

I have a 10th anniversary DAC-19, purchased early 2017. I know its sound well, like it a lot. Also very interested in the R2R 1...

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,888 of 1,962
Just bought the NOS19 (the last mint one?).
First impressions have been good out of the box.
Harmonic decay sounds way better than my Meridian 206B (piano etc)
Now selected mode2, PLL2 and Warm:
Mode 1: simpliest data process .
Mode 2: data fifo.
Mode 3: data fastest process.​

- of course I like FIFO, because the player is an old one from 30 years ago (sorry).

Question: what is Asynchronous mode1 or 2 ?
I read that on the NOS 7:
In mode 1, you can use either PLL, in mode 2 you can only use PLL1 cause the FIR filter take too much computation power.
Default is PLL off; No matter which one you choose, the jiiter performance just can't compare to a femto clock.

Because the NOS hardware part is the same, does this apply too for the NOS19?

newbie Albert
(Having tried to make DACs for over ten years, now bought one)

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,889 of 1,962
I own both the NOS 19 and DAC-19. You may have to go back and read earlier posts in this string to verify what I'm about to tell you (this is not an exact science):
  • Until the very last DSP/software version of the DAC-19, which I believe was v.6, there were certain issues when the DAC-19 was set to pure non-oversampling mode
  • Specifically, a channel imbalance could develop. Thus, DAC-19 users who attempted the NOS setting sometimes did not get the desired result
  • Audio GD/Kingwa was always transparent about NOS: if you really really want an NOS DAC, get the NOS 19, not the DAC-19
  • However, the final DSP/software version (which I believe was v.6) apparently resolved the channel imbalance issues with the DAC-19 when set to NOS mode. However, my perception from some user comments here was that v.6 also slightly thinned out the harmonic richness of the DAC-19, made it less warm, more "accurate," etc. This is me possibly remembering other members' posts incorrectly, so feel free to check me on that
  • In any case, since I already had the NOS 19--which I have used as my primary DAC every since I got it (it's the best DAC I ever heard)--I had no reason at all to want the DAC-19's v.6. So when I bought my DAC-19 from Magna HiFi/Netherlands, I specified that they revert my DAC-19 (which was @v.6, as all final stock of the DAC-19 were) to v.5. They did so, along w/a couple other mods.
I periodically insert this DAC-19 into my system, but primarily it's used in a secondary listening station. It sounds very good indeed, nearly as good as the NOS 19.

So this is a long way of saying that you should check the version # of your DAC-19's software. If it's v.6, you should have good results setting it to NOS.

As to whether Master 7 instructions work on the DAC-19, I have no idea. I would instead recommend that you go back in this thread to find other posts about how to get into NOS mode; or check the AGD "Use Manual" for the latest DAC-19: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DAC1911/DAC19EN_Use.htm

PS: I will soon purchase the balanced version of the Audio GD DAC that replaced the DAC-19 & NOS 19, the R2R 1. Not because I'm unhappy with my NOS 19 (far from it); but because the new model has FPGA processing, which apparently results in more accurate output from those resistor ladders; can be set to any 1 of 3 true NOS modes from software; and has 3 outputs (RCA pair; ACSS pair; and balanced pair).
  • As I did with both the NOS 19 and DAC-19, I would have the ACSS pair converted to a 2nd RCA output pair
  • Then be able to run 1 preamp/HP amp on the balanced output; plus 2 other HP amps on the 2 X RCA output pairs--all simultaneously.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,890 of 1,962
I own both the NOS 19 and DAC-19. You may have to go back and read earlier posts in this string to verify what I'm about to tell you (this is not an exact science):
  • Until the very last DSP/software version of the DAC-19, which I believe was v.6, there were certain issues when the DAC-19 was set to pure non-oversampling mode
  • Specifically, a channel imbalance could develop. Thus, DAC-19 users who attempted the NOS setting sometimes did not get the desired result
  • Audio GD/Kingwa was always transparent about NOS: if you really really want an NOS DAC, get the NOS 19, not the DAC-19
  • However, the final DSP/software version (which I believe was v.6) apparently resolved the channel imbalance issues with the DAC-19 when set to NOS mode. However, my perception from some user comments here was that v.6 also slightly thinned out the harmonic richness of the DAC-19, made it less warm, more "accurate," etc. This is me possibly remembering other members' posts incorrectly, so feel free to check me on that
  • In any case, since I already had the NOS 19--which I have used as my primary DAC every since I got it (it's the best DAC I ever heard)--I had no reason at all to want the DAC-19's v.6. So when I bought my DAC-19 from Magna HiFi/Netherlands, I specified that they revert my DAC-19 (which was @v.6, as all final stock of the DAC-19 were) to v.5. They did so, along w/a couple other mods.
I periodically insert this DAC-19 into my system, but primarily it's used in a secondary listening station. It sounds very good indeed, nearly as good as the NOS 19.

So this is a long way of saying that you should check the version # of your DAC-19's software. If it's v.6, you should have good results setting it to NOS.

As to whether Master 7 instructions work on the DAC-19, I have no idea. I would instead recommend that you go back in this thread to find other posts about how to get into NOS mode; or check the AGD "Use Manual" for the latest DAC-19: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DAC1911/DAC19EN_Use.htm

PS: I will soon purchase the balanced version of the Audio GD DAC that replaced the DAC-19 & NOS 19, the R2R 1. Not because I'm unhappy with my NOS 19 (far from it); but because the new model has FPGA processing, which apparently results in more accurate output from those resistor ladders; can be set to any 1 of 3 true NOS modes from software; and has 3 outputs (RCA pair; ACSS pair; and balanced pair).
  • As I did with both the NOS 19 and DAC-19, I would have the ACSS pair converted to a 2nd RCA output pair
  • Then be able to run 1 preamp/HP amp on the balanced output; plus 2 other HP amps on the 2 X RCA output pairs--all simultaneously.
Thanks Pharmaboy,
I've read your comments and praise before [and amongst other input, brought me to pull the trigger on the NOS version of the DAC-19 :relaxed:].
My question pertains to the setting of the PLL, should I also use #1 like said for the Audion GD NOS-7 (that very likely has the same digital processing)?
Anyway, I'll try it tonight.

regards
albert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back