New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,891 of 1,962
Albert: sorry I missed/misread your question.

Honestly, I have no idea how to answer question about the PPL jumper. I liked the sound of the stock NOS 19 so much that I never even considered opening the case and playing with jumpers.

So I'll be very interested to hear what differences you hear (if any) after listening to a different setting vs stock...

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,892 of 1,962
...and one more thing. now that my brain is really working and I read your original questions, I realize something that baffled me from day-1 with the NOS 19: there are many many posts here (and other places) about the DAC-19, including a lot of back & forth about its NOS setttings, problems w/that, Q/A with Audio GD about that. But there's almost zero information about the NOS 19.

my impression is that I'm one of a handful of people who own (or owned) the NOS 19. the great majority of AGD multibit DAC owners had the DAC-19, which has been sold for 4-5 yrs in different software versions, if I'm not mistaken.

all to say there's little or no guidance in sonic results we could expect from messing around w/jumper settings in the NOS 19. there are no subjective/sound comments in the NOS 19 "Use Guide" like there are in some of the other products.

(not complaining...I love my NOS 19 to pieces no matter what)

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,893 of 1,962
my impression is that I'm one of a handful of people who own (or owned) the NOS 19. the great majority of AGD multibit DAC owners had the DAC-19, which has been sold for 4-5 yrs in different software versions, if I'm not mistaken.

all to say there's little or no guidance in sonic results we could expect from messing around w/jumper settings in the NOS 19. there are no subjective/sound comments in the NOS 19 "Use Guide" like there are in some of the other products.

(not complaining...I love my NOS 19 to pieces no matter what)

Those custom settings are there for you to play with and try out...so just go and test them out. Keep them on one setting for a week, note how you like or dislike it and then continue with the next one. Once done, you pick your favourite and, voila! The DAC suits your taste.

These customisable settings are really only there because users requested for the ability to customise the sound, and not because Kingwa decided there should be four or more different flavours. Left to his own devices, we would have gotten the singular sound signature per DAC.

Personally, I love the standard un-jumpered sound just fine, given that that is the ‘accurate’ sound that Kingwa has designed for and I don’t like the other sampling settings on my DAC-19 anyway. It should be the same with the NOS-19 and the newer DACs too. I think if you dig a little, Kingwa isn’t really recommending for us to change the settings, rather, he tells us that we can modify the sound signature if we desire to.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,894 of 1,962
I have played around with the settings. I first turned off 'smooth' and then 'mode2', so J4 went out as well as J5. I like the sound like it is now.
I also had PLL1 on, but turning that off made some pop music (it is subjective) a bit less coherent in my setting. So I turned PLL1 on again (J1+J2) as only settings.

The NOS19 wants me to relisten to the music over and over again. :smile_phones:
Interestingly, I in the past had a NOS Philips TDA1543 player (modded). I also NOS-ed a TDA1541 player. So the qualities of NOS were known to me. But while lively and very true to life ('43) or orchestrally classic ('41), the players did not last, both drawers stuck, too bad.

albert

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,895 of 1,962
Those custom settings are there for you to play with and try out...so just go and test them out. Keep them on one setting for a week, note how you like or dislike it and then continue with the next one. Once done, you pick your favourite and, voila! The DAC suits your taste.

These customisable settings are really only there because users requested for the ability to customise the sound, and not because Kingwa decided there should be four or more different flavours. Left to his own devices, we would have gotten the singular sound signature per DAC.

Personally, I love the standard un-jumpered sound just fine, given that that is the ‘accurate’ sound that Kingwa has designed for and I don’t like the other sampling settings on my DAC-19 anyway. It should be the same with the NOS-19 and the newer DACs too. I think if you dig a little, Kingwa isn’t really recommending for us to change the settings, rather, he tells us that we can modify the sound signature if we desire to.

DAC 19 "NEW" Firmware
I have a DAC 19 (Feb 2017) model . I have never been satisfied with the sound . I found it to be too bright , a bit edgy and hard to listen to for extended periods and not at all "sweet" sounding as my DAC 19 Mk 3 2009 . So I was very disappointed as I expected it to better the old DAC 19 , so I contacted Mr Kingwa who suggested that I should burn it in for at least 300 hours before judging it . Well I did that and I played around with the jumpers from OS8 to OS4 to PLEEN - ON etc . It got better but still didn't sound as good as it should . So recently Mr Kingwa sent me a new Firmware update and suggested that I should try it . It's the M7-V7 for the Master 7 and other older PCM1704 dacs , So I got into the Firmware updating game , first I updated my R2R1 ( done online ) and then the DAC 19 , done manually . Well after doing the Firmware update I was a bit surprised as the sound changed completely , it became extremely clear and quite bright but that old musical sweet sound that I like so much with PCM1704 dacs was gone . It seemed sterile . Well this was a disappointment , I got a new sound but not a nice sound . I began to wonder if I could could somehow go back to the old Firmware but I was too ashamed to ask Kingwa . So I started to play around with the jumpers . 4XOS was a bit better and 2XOS was also not too bad . All Jumpers ON ie. "NOS" was really bad . Then I saw some Audio gd DSP- Jumper settings for the DAC 19 (2016) and I notice that the DACs shipped after 12th October 2016 have slightly different jumper settings , so I applied these to my DAC 19 and WOW I hit the jack pot . It now sounds great , very open and clear and not edgy or rough , I think just as good as my R2R1 with it's new Firmware . The settings Ihat I use are ---- PLEEN - Jumper ON , ATT0 - OFF , ATT1 - ON , 1PS0 - OFF , 1PS1 - ON and DITH - ON . It's a completely different DAC now , nice sound stage , dark background , instrument definition all are way better and most of the musicality has returned , I just want to listen to it more and more , so clear . So don't give up on your DAC 19 as yet as the potential to be great is still there , the updated R2R1 has nothing on it now .

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,896 of 1,962
DAC 19 "NEW" Firmware
I have a DAC 19 (Feb 2017) model . I have never been satisfied with the sound . I found it to be too bright , a bit edgy and hard to listen to for extended periods and not at all "sweet" sounding as my DAC 19 Mk 3 2009 . So I was very disappointed as I expected it to better the old DAC 19 , so I contacted Mr Kingwa who suggested that I should burn it in for at least 300 hours before judging it . Well I did that and I played around with the jumpers from OS8 to OS4 to PLEEN - ON etc . It got better but still didn't sound as good as it should . So recently Mr Kingwa sent me a new Firmware update and suggested that I should try it . It's the M7-V7 for the Master 7 and other older PCM1704 dacs , So I got into the Firmware updating game , first I updated my R2R1 ( done online ) and then the DAC 19 , done manually . Well after doing the Firmware update I was a bit surprised as the sound changed completely , it became extremely clear and quite bright but that old musical sweet sound that I like so much with PCM1704 dacs was gone . It seemed sterile . Well this was a disappointment , I got a new sound but not a nice sound . I began to wonder if I could could somehow go back to the old Firmware but I was too ashamed to ask Kingwa . So I started to play around with the jumpers . 4XOS was a bit better and 2XOS was also not too bad . All Jumpers ON ie. "NOS" was really bad . Then I saw some Audio gd DSP- Jumper settings for the DAC 19 (2016) and I notice that the DACs shipped after 12th October 2016 have slightly different jumper settings , so I applied these to my DAC 19 and WOW I hit the jack pot . It now sounds great , very open and clear and not edgy or rough , I think just as good as my R2R1 with it's new Firmware . The settings Ihat I use are ---- PLEEN - Jumper ON , ATT0 - OFF , ATT1 - ON , 1PS0 - OFF , 1PS1 - ON and DITH - ON . It's a completely different DAC now , nice sound stage , dark background , instrument definition all are way better and most of the musicality has returned , I just want to listen to it more and more , so clear . So don't give up on your DAC 19 as yet as the potential to be great is still there , the updated R2R1 has nothing on it now .

Well that's the thing - I do consider my original firmware and un-jumpered April 2016 DAC-19 to be great, so great that it has staved off an upgrade for the past two and half years. I enjoy it very much in my system.

In fact, I'd describe it as being exactly how you describe your DAC-19 now. Musical, excellent sound stage, dark background, and great instrument definition. In addition, I would add mids to die for, though to be fair, that may just be a function of my setup. I don't remember having to burn it in but I do know that pretty early on, I was blown away by how organic and natural it sounded over my previous DAC and other DACs I'd listened to up to that point.

I think Kingwa may have been fiddling a little too much with his DAC firmware over the years but it is strange that you report even the R2R1 as being too digital, as that does not seem to be the case in reports from other owners.

Might it be that it's your amp and/or headphones/speakers that are too bright? I certainly suspect so. What are you listening with?

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,897 of 1,962
Well that's the thing - I do consider my original firmware and un-jumpered April 2016 DAC-19 to be great, so great that it has staved off an upgrade for the past two and half years. I enjoy it very much in my system.

In fact, I'd describe it as being exactly how you describe your DAC-19 now. Musical, excellent sound stage, dark background, and great instrument definition. In addition, I would add mids to die for, though to be fair, that may just be a function of my setup. I don't remember having to burn it in but I do know that pretty early on, I was blown away by how organic and natural it sounded over my previous DAC and other DACs I'd listened to up to that point.

I think Kingwa may have been fiddling a little too much with his DAC firmware over the years but it is strange that you report even the R2R1 as being too digital, as that does not seem to be the case in reports from other owners.

Might it be that it's your amp and/or headphones/speakers that are too bright? I certainly suspect so. What are you listening with?

Interesting post.

I bought my DAC-19 in April, 2017. Because I already had the NOS 19 and just love that sound, I bought the DAC-19 purely out of curiosity. I burned it in the requisite 400 hrs and now use it 95% in my backup headphone system--every once in awhile I rotate it into my main headphone+speakers system for a week or so.

Around the time I bought mine, I was reading about the then-latest firmware revision (believe it was v6), which, reading between user comments' lines, made this DAC sound somewhat less warm & musical. Since that change would be in exactly the wrong direction for me, I specified that Magna\i HiFi revert my new DAC-19 to v5 firmware, which they did. It sounds terrific to me; similar to the NOS 19, w/just a touch more upper mids and treble.

I, too, never messed with jumpers. Felt no need to. BTW, my unit has 2 X RCA outputs (the ACCS output pair was replaced w/a 2nd RCA output pair at my request). That makes for a very flexible system...running any 2 of my amp/preamps at the same time.

This fall I'm going to purchase the R2R 1--again, purely out of curiosity, mainly to see how the NOS modes sound; also because it can be run w/1 X XLR output pair + 2 X RCA output pairs simultaneously (checked that w/Kingwa...no problem). When I do that, I'll have to sell this terrific DAC-19. It really is a fine DAC--and after hearing it + the NOS 19, I'll never go back to delta-sigma DACs.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,898 of 1,962

I am very happy that you are satisfied with the sound of your DAC19 . You definitely should not tamper with it if it pleases you . My system is quite good , both desktop and main system having tube preamps and pretty good speakers . You see I am comparing the DAC 19 to my other dacs . Among them are the older DAC 19 Mk3 , a Reference 7 and the R2R1 , When I call the 2017 DAC19 bright and a bit shouty , You see I am comparing it to a 2009 DAC19 and my Reference 7 both of which sounded. more musical and more refined . I bought one of the very first R2R1s and I thought it would outshine them all but it sounded a bit thin and very mild not very dynamic . I really like my Audio Gd PCM1704 dacs and I have no intention of disposing of them I find the ES dacs even more edgy - Wyred 4 Sound , Eastern Electric Minimax Plus + and an Audio gd NFB-3 , I have since sold them all but I my next dac will probably be an Audio gd 9038 PRO , just to hear if they have improved the sound . My ears are very critical when it comes to sound reproduction , it would be great if I could afford a Terminator or other top of the line dac but my pocket can't go there right now , so I play around in the mid-range as this is just my hobby , and where is there to go after you have reached the top (Terminator) . I am really into dacs , I probably have about twelve right now and I am always trying to find a better sounding dac , I bought a Denafrips Ares just before I got the R2R1 and it out performed both the R2R1 and DAC 19 . Now there you have a real giant killer . My dacs are playing through relatively decent equipment a Sunfire Signature Amp and matching Tube Preamp to Monitor Audio Reference speakers , so I don't think they are to be blamed . It's just that I am comparing the DAC19 to other similar dacs. Anyway this new update has taken it up a few notches .

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,899 of 1,962
I have a Schiit Gumby but I prefer a more warm or dark sound. I listen to a lot of Rock and Metal and it is generally harsh sounding. Is the NOS 19 what I'm looking for and how does it compare to the Gumby?

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,900 of 1,962
Interesting post.

I bought my DAC-19 in April, 2017. Because I already had the NOS 19 and just love that sound, I bought the DAC-19 purely out of curiosity. I burned it in the requisite 400 hrs and now use it 95% in my backup headphone system--every once in awhile I rotate it into my main headphone+speakers system for a week or so.

Around the time I bought mine, I was reading about the then-latest firmware revision (believe it was v6), which, reading between user comments' lines, made this DAC sound somewhat less warm & musical. Since that change would be in exactly the wrong direction for me, I specified that Magna\i HiFi revert my new DAC-19 to v5 firmware, which they did. It sounds terrific to me; similar to the NOS 19, w/just a touch more upper mids and treble.

I, too, never messed with jumpers. Felt no need to. BTW, my unit has 2 X RCA outputs (the ACCS output pair was replaced w/a 2nd RCA output pair at my request). That makes for a very flexible system...running any 2 of my amp/preamps at the same time.

This fall I'm going to purchase the R2R 1--again, purely out of curiosity, mainly to see how the NOS modes sound; also because it can be run w/1 X XLR output pair + 2 X RCA output pairs simultaneously (checked that w/Kingwa...no problem). When I do that, I'll have to sell this terrific DAC-19. It really is a fine DAC--and after hearing it + the NOS 19, I'll never go back to delta-sigma DACs.

I have to take back my impressions of the DAC19 with V7 firmware , I just can't get it to sound right . I am now on OS2 and it's still bright and much too sharp . So I agree with you that the previous Firmware was better suited to this DAC . I just put back the R2R1 in my Desktop System and it is so much better than the DAC19 as they are now , it even sounds a bit better than the Reference 7 . I would definitely recommend that you get the R2R1 as the current production now comes with this new Firmware and it's a vast improvement over the previous sound , it's distinct , it's clear , it's precice , it's smooth and doesn't drill into my nerves like some dacs do .

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,901 of 1,962
I have to take back my impressions of the DAC19 with V7 firmware , I just can't get it to sound right . I am now on OS2 and it's still bright and much too sharp . So I agree with you that the previous Firmware was better suited to this DAC . I just put back the R2R1 in my Desktop System and it is so much better than the DAC19 as they are now , it even sounds a bit better than the Reference 7 . I would definitely recommend that you get the R2R1 as the current production now comes with this new Firmware and it's a vast improvement over the previous sound , it's distinct , it's clear , it's precice , it's smooth and doesn't drill into my nerves like some dacs do .

Thanks for another interesting post.

I get more & more interested in the R2R 1 every week. My initial reason for that interest was connectivity, not sonics--having 1 preamp/amp + 2 amps connected simultaneously would really make my complicated desktop system even more usable/user-friendly.

But then I read about the NOS modes (my primary interest is NOS now, thanks to the excellent NOS 19), how good they sound...and it seems I might even be in for a sonic/NOS digital upgrade. The idaa is exciting, given how much NOS digital already has improved the sound of my system.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #1,902 of 1,962
Thanks for another interesting post.

I get more & more interested in the R2R 1 every week. My initial reason for that interest was connectivity, not sonics--having 1 preamp/amp + 2 amps connected simultaneously would really make my complicated desktop system even more usable/user-friendly.

But then I read about the NOS modes (my primary interest is NOS now, thanks to the excellent NOS 19), how good they sound...and it seems I might even be in for a sonic/NOS digital upgrade. The idaa is exciting, given how much NOS digital already has improved the sound of my system.

Well I contacted Mr Kingwa tonight and told him that I just couldn't get the V7 firmware to sound to my liking with my DAC19 (2017). So I asked him if he could send me the V5 or V6 firmware so that I could go back to my original sound , I think my dac came with the V6 which I never really liked as I always found it to be too in your face and not very musical compared to my old DAC19 Mk3 . He must have remembered me complaining about the V6 and so he sent me the V5 firmware and I installed it . WoW my DAC 19 sounds really great now . Better than the V6 and way better than the V7 . The musical , sweet sound of the PCM1704 is back . This is why I stay with Audio Gd , I can always contact Mr Kingwa when I have a problem and he is always helpful and gives me good and honest advice , where else could I get service like that . From problem to solution ( from across the world ) in less than two hours on a Friday night .
Thanks Mr Kingwa

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,903 of 1,962
Well I contacted Mr Kingwa tonight and told him that I just couldn't get the V7 firmware to sound to my liking with my DAC19 (2017). So I asked him if he could send me the V5 or V6 firmware so that I could go back to my original sound , I think my dac came with the V6 which I never really liked as I always found it to be too in your face and not very musical compared to my old DAC19 Mk3 . He must have remembered me complaining about the V6 and so he sent me the V5 firmware and I installed it . WoW my DAC 19 sounds really great now . Better than the V6 and way better than the V7 . The musical , sweet sound of the PCM1704 is back . This is why I stay with Audio Gd , I can always contact Mr Kingwa when I have a problem and he is always helpful and gives me good and honest advice , where else could I get service like that . From problem to solution ( from across the world ) in less than two hours on a Friday night .
Thanks Mr Kingwa

Nice ending to this story! v5 is what I specified on my DAC-19 when I purchased it in April, 2017. IMO v5 firmware makes the DAC-19 the 2nd best-sounding DAC I've heard (just behind the NOS 19).

I subscribe to a couple other audio boards that have relatively little content for headphones or desktop audio--mostly trad 2-channel audiophile content/topics. When people post the typical "what DAC could I get that sounds musical & doesn't cost as much as a new car?" question, I recommend Audio GD DACs or DAC/Amp combos. It's clear that few outside the headphone/desktop audio community ever heard of this company. Then again, a surprising number of audiophiles don't really take a signal level component (DAC, preamp) seriously unless it costs $5K-$10K or more...

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,904 of 1,962
Well, Schiit DAC's are the default choice nowadays, but there is a surprising lack of comparisons between AGD and Schiit stuff. It happens that I own a Gumby (latest version, A2 board) and a DAC-19 DI version (the most basic one, no DSP). Might do a comprehensive comparison one day if I'll have time.

Short story for the moment: Gumby is better, but I'm not that sure it's worth the price diff at least vs the DAC-19+DI-2014 combo that I bought for ~$550. You get a difference of pretty similar magnitude (but different of course) from replacing average tubes to top-level tubes on a hybrid amp like Torpedo III.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,905 of 1,962
Comparing my NOS19 to a delta sigma, I notice the delta sigma (mine is Meridian, you know, not a bad choice) often spuriously pumps out sounds, specifically low and mid bass, just as if it increases the dynamics. That dynamism was the most wearing to my ears - and I only started to notice when I moved to bigger speakers (Quad). My small Fostex 103Sigma catered very well and this dynamic boost fitted in there. Even on an open baffle with Lowther the stage was great, but not the dynamics.
With the NOS19 and an active subs (Hypex) the NOS19 gives a very smooth transient between tones in a total soundstage, you forget there is a sub. The NOS19 is the most natural I have had - having had TDA1543, TDA1541 and PCM1704 'Magic' all in NOS by other makers or my own home-brew.
On my AKG's the sound is to be reported on separately; I want to change the phone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back