New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jan 12, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,232 of 1,962
I leave mine on all the time, unless I'll be away for more than a day.  It has very little power draw when not in use and it doesn't warm up the room like an amp.  I'm honestly not sure about warm-up potential and all that jazz.  I just figure it's easy and cheap and better safe than sorry.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,233 of 1,962
  I leave mine on all the time, unless I'll be away for more than a day.  It has very little power draw when not in use and it doesn't warm up the room like an amp.  I'm honestly not sure about warm-up potential and all that jazz.  I just figure it's easy and cheap and better safe than sorry.

Works for me!

I'll just keep it on and keep listening for a few days - was more wondering when you take it to meets and such. Should it stay connected to a UPS, or not really a concern.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,234 of 1,962
  Works for me!

I'll just keep it on and keep listening for a few days - was more wondering when you take it to meets and such. Should it stay connected to a UPS, or not really a concern.

Ha!  No, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Or to rephrase, I never bothered when taking it to meets and I never noticed anything egregiously out of place.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,235 of 1,962

Ha!  No, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Or to rephrase, I never bothered when taking it to meets and I never noticed anything egregiously out of place.

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,237 of 1,962
  I am pretty sure that Audio-gd burns everything in before sending it out. Check out http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm down at the bottom, point #2. Bonus page here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Baby-EN.htm

I like that - ready to go! Thanks for the links!

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,239 of 1,962
I have always listened my DAC-19 via Digital Interface, and hence I am not aware of the Amanero's 1-sec delay issue.  Recently I have been quite impressed with the DAC-19 => Aleph 3 => HE-6 (and DAC-19 => Phoenix => HD800 in the past).  Both systems are so clear and smooth even at very large dynamic range.  DAC-19's bass seems to get even better after a few months of use, solid, authoritative, and texture presenting.  

I saw many of posters here also has Bifrst Multibits.  I have read the comparison of DAC-19 & Gumby here and wonder if someone has or could make more comparison between DAC-19 and Bimby?  If someone also used it for speaker system, that will be even plus.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,240 of 1,962
Hope you're still happy with your dac19. I was thinking the other day that you may want to know I picked up a pair of HeX! And I think you'd like them. The top end is smooth and detailed but not peaky! Might just be some headphones that work for you! One issue, they only fit so many people. My wife has a tiny head and they don't fit her on the lowest setting. Oddly the he1000's do fir her on the lowest setting. They have slightly different headbands and mounts. The edition X could stand for s slightly improved design to allow fitment to those with tiny heads. I have a HUGE hear and I am still two clicks away from the lowest setting. Which tells me that a bear or a yeti may find these headphones to be quite comfortable. Hah

I read somewhere that you sold your c2 and go the liquid carbon! Hope you are enjoying that. I have spent a bit of time with that and it sounds great, by with some headphones it seemed just a little bit underpowered.
I wish audio-gd could make a super small r2r portable Dac. The dac19 is so sweet for the money.
I am trying to find a good portable and have a few on the way to try. The chord mojo, centrance hifiskyn, echobox explorer and finder iems(these are sure to make your tinnitus to be hell, the brightest sounding iems ever!!) I had the LHLabs geekwave xdf256 on order and converted my credits to a fully loaded source with triple femto and other upgrades.

I kinda wished I kept my dac19 for my wife. As it really would be a better option for her. The nfb28 is great, I may put that one up tor sale and consider a dac19 for her, along with an amp::: maybe liquid carbon? I listened to that and the liquid Crimson yet neither of them really blew my socks off. Unfortunately it was likely due to me listening to them with a gumby!!! Hahaha I can't stand the sound of schiit. It simple sounds like schiit imho.

To the other guy who just commented about the dac19 vs a bimby.... Not even the same class. That's totally unfair to compare the bimby to the dac19. It's a little more fair to compare the balanced outs of the gumby to the SE of dac19. But the SE out of the gumby is clearly not as good as the dac19 in SE. The USB implementation of the bimby is quite poor, but the gumby is quite a bit better from what I I understand. In fact, excellent USB implementation for the gumby is fair to say.

But when I spent time with the bimby , I was not impressed. It did sound a bit better with the help of a good DDC like the breeze u8 or the gustard u12.
Either way, the dac19 blows them out of the water.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,241 of 1,962
@bimmer100 Do yourself a favor and just grab a QP1R.  Unless you're looking to spend significantly more money, it's about the best sounding DAP on the market right now.  The current-mode amp in there will drive even the HD800 with authority.  The scroll wheel is a bit wonky but you get used to it.  And it's worth it for the sound.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,242 of 1,962
Glade to hear that DAC-19 is a level up Bimby.  That is what I suspect from reading some posts.  However, other posts on web do praise MB implementation to such a stage that makes me curious and wonder since I have not yet any chance to hear them.  For me, I just like to make sure and double check, otherwise, the performance and price of DAC-19 is really unbeatable to me.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,243 of 1,962
  Glade to hear that DAC-19 is a level up Bimby.  That is what I suspect from reading some posts.  However, other posts on web do praise MB implementation to such a stage that makes me curious and wonder since I have not yet any chance to hear them.  For me, I just like to make sure and double check, otherwise, the performance and price of DAC-19 is really unbeatable to me.

I also agree with this.  I sold my Bifrost MB for a DAC-19.  No regrets at all.  I'm using the ACSS output of the DAC-19 into a C-2, but I can't imagine the SE out is much different sounding.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,244 of 1,962

One thing you have to keep in mind with mid-fi products like the BMB and Mojo is that you have a lot of people moving up to it from entry level stuff.  There are also a lot of people moving down to it from the summit-fi stuff, perhaps to use in a second system.  Because of this, you have some people talking it up like it's the best thing since sliced bread (because they haven't heard anything better) and you have some people who aren't particularly impressed (because they have).

I find products like the Mojo and BMB very hard to peg from reading about them.  It's just impossible for me to get a good feel for how they sound when there are such mixed impressions.  I'm going to just have to listen for myself at one point.  Until then, we have to trust people who have heard both the DAC-19 and BMB/Mojo to tell us how they really compare.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,245 of 1,962
I'll post more in due time - but I just got my ears on the DAC-19 this week. I use my DACs for speakers and headphones, so I can post a little on each. I had a Bimby (for a weekend after I upgraded from Uberfrost) but sold it to go upstream. Just today, I was PM'ing with a Head-Fi member from my area, who knows much more about Audio-gd than I do. I heard from him that his upgrade from Uberfrost to Bimby was not quite the dream ride he had expected either - I suggested we trade for a few days, his Bimby (so I can get more listening time) and my DAC-19 (so he can hear a different R2R interpretation). Seems fair enough!

Point is, I'm just warming up to DAC-19, and still trying to catch up with your thread (I think I'm up to page 60). I'll have a few things to say in the coming weeks 
tongue.gif

And it's really quite dramatic, the difference between DAC-19 and Gumby/Yggy, in my listening thus far. Quite a dramatic difference! It's not a 30-seconds listening, and I know everything about the delta. So I'm going to listen, and enjoy for a while...

Oh, and I'm going to a speaker/headphone mini-meet this weekend. We'll be comparing my DAC-19 and Gumby and another member's Yggy (I'd kill myself if I tried to haul my DAC-19, Gumby, and Yggy, so I'm thankful for that). I'll post impressions here from the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back