New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #946 of 1,962
I am using a AMD FX6300 on a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P mobo. I have an Asus Xonar soundcard that I use for optical outout, but this should be irrelevant to the USB problem. I am running Windows 10.

Before I left for work today, I briefly plugged my DAC19 into my work Macbook Pro to see if it would work. The USB module gets recognized as an audio output device, but when I select it and play music through it, I hear no output. When I switch back to my onboard speakers, I get sound again.

I am going to investigate further tonight with my Macbook Pro, Chrome OS laptops, and my roommate's Linux machine. Perhaps this is a USB module problem?

How did you end up resolving this problem, by the way? Kingwa pretty much washed his hands clean of this and told me it's an issue with Windows and that I have to debug it myself.

Well, when a device just stops being recognized on every PC you can't really blame the machine :D

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #947 of 1,962
The number of people on this forum running Windows 10 and complaining about USB/driver issues just boggles my mind.  You'd think in such a nerdy environment, people would realize right away what the issue is...

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #948 of 1,962
Did you download the Amanero 384 Combo driver from audio-gd, or from Amanero directly? I think they have several options on their site for the driver. Maybe you didn't get the proper driver for your operating system? 

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #949 of 1,962
  The number of people on this forum running Windows 10 and complaining about USB/driver issues just boggles my mind.  You'd think in such a nerdy environment, people would realize right away what the issue is...

I don't want to go back to Windows 8.1, but I will if I have to when my Master 11 comes. Amanero should resolve this issue with drivers, however. The OS has been out for months now.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #950 of 1,962

I don't want to go back to Windows 8.1, but I will if I have to when my Master 11 comes. Amanero should resolve this issue with drivers, however. The OS has been out for months now.

A good rule of thumb that's served me well for the last 20 years:  don't upgrade to the newest Windows OS until the first Service Pack is out.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #951 of 1,962
Well, when a device just stops being recognized on every PC you can't really blame the machine :D

That's what I'm trying to prove out. If it works with Android, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, and OSX, then it is definitely a Windows problem. I'll report back by tomorrow night.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #952 of 1,962

A good rule of thumb that's served me well for the last 20 years:  don't upgrade to the newest Windows OS until the first Service Pack is out.

Windows has sucked me in twice in a row now. Micro Center had Windows 8 for like $60 when it first came out, so I got it then. I subsequently switched back to Windows 7 until 8.1 came out.

Then I misread the date to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and already did.

The policies on downgrading to a previous version and/or upgrading back to Windows 10 again for free are super confusing as well. I'm not 100% sure I can go back to Windows 8 now, or if I do whether I can come back to Windows 10 for free.

If their wording is this confusing to me, how confusing must this be to random dummies? I'm a game designer for a living, I know multiple computer languages, and I build my own PCs...

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #953 of 1,962
Regarding windows, I have to say they suck on the stability. I use them both at work and at home. If you built your own PC or it's upgradable, one good way to deal with the new version is to have dual boot: keep the one your using and install the new one. You need two drives and this is hardly an issue considering how inexpensive the SSD drives are now. And you save data and files on the 3rd hard drive. It's something like this:

XP & Win7
Win7 & Win8 (or 8.1)
Win8 & Win10

Just erase the older OS and install the newer one.

I had used Mac for a year and it never crashed on me. But it does lack some options and can't do certain things for you and you have to get used to it if it's new to you. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #954 of 1,962
That's what I'm trying to prove out. If it works with Android, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, and OSX, then it is definitely a Windows problem. I'll report back by tomorrow night.

Please do. So far I am not having much luck...

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #955 of 1,962

Windows has sucked me in twice in a row now. Micro Center had Windows 8 for like $60 when it first came out, so I got it then. I subsequently switched back to Windows 7 until 8.1 came out.

Then I misread the date to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and already did.

The policies on downgrading to a previous version and/or upgrading back to Windows 10 again for free are super confusing as well. I'm not 100% sure I can go back to Windows 8 now, or if I do whether I can come back to Windows 10 for free.

If their wording is this confusing to me, how confusing must this be to random dummies? I'm a game designer for a living, I know multiple computer languages, and I build my own PCs...

<rant>

Personally, I don't feel like the consumer should be held (primarily) responsible for figuring this operating system icky-ness. Sure, Windows is weird and flaky when it comes to USB audio support, but if you are a company selling a product that supposedly takes USB input from Windows machines (e.g. Audio-gd), I feel like it is your responsibility to test that your device does indeed work with Windows machines (i.e. particularly the latest version, 10). Offloading this responsibility to the potentially tech-unsavvy customer is absurd, in my opinion.

If your iPhone WiFi stops working properly, and the fault is with the WiFi chipset firmware, does Apple tell you to debug the Murata driver issues yourself? Likewise, if Dell sells you a computer and your graphics card misbehaves because of driver issues, do they tell you to go to AMD/nVidia or to debug the problem on Windows yourself? No in both cases, because this company sold you an end-to-end solution that is supposed to work given the internal components they chose, and it is their responsibility to support you and debug the problem if it stops working.

Maybe I'm just being an over-entitled customer here, but my opinion on this is strongly shaped by the fact that I work in a company that sells computers/laptops and a big part of my job is debugging/fixing these types of problems for customers so that they don't have to worry about it.

</rant>

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #956 of 1,962
I agree to a point, having worked in tech for many years.  But I also think you're pointing the finger at the wrong person here.

Audio-GD isn't Apple or Dell, those are both absurdly false equivalencies.  It's a small company in China where the owner personally responds to every email.  The problems people are having with Windows 10 are because of two things:  driver problems and OS problems.  Neither of those are things Kingwa can control.  

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't have any sympathy for early adopters who complain about compatibility issues.  Those are par for the course with early adoption of new OS's.  I'd say if this is your first time experiencing it, you should take it as a lesson learned.  If it's not your first time, well shame on you for trying to shift the blame for your risk taking.  I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but there it is.

If you want to be pissed off at someone, you should be pissed off at Microsoft for screwing up the USB protocols with their new OS.  As others have said, it's been out for months and it was in pre-release for longer than that.  Blame them for not getting it fixed.  If they promise backwards compatibility and don't deliver it, how is that the hardware manufacturers' faults?

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #958 of 1,962
  I agree to a point, having worked in tech for many years.  But I also think you're pointing the finger at the wrong person here.

Audio-GD isn't Apple or Dell, those are both absurdly false equivalencies.  It's a small company in China where the owner personally responds to every email.  The problems people are having with Windows 10 are because of two things:  driver problems and OS problems.  Neither of those are things Kingwa can control.  

I'm sorry to say it, but I don't have any sympathy for early adopters who complain about compatibility issues.  Those are par for the course with early adoption of new OS's.  I'd say if this is your first time experiencing it, you should take it as a lesson learned.  If it's not your first time, well shame on you for trying to shift the blame for your risk taking.  I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but there it is.

If you want to be pissed off at someone, you should be pissed off at Microsoft for screwing up the USB protocols with their new OS.  As others have said, it's been out for months and it was in pre-release for longer than that.  Blame them for not getting it fixed.  If they promise backwards compatibility and don't deliver it, how is that the hardware manufacturers' faults?

Point taken. I'm not so much upset over the fact that the USB driver is breaking on a newly-released OS, but more on the follow-up I've received on this issue which is, "Well, it's Microsoft's fault, so go figure it out yourself".

Given that Windows 10 is the latest version of the world's most popular OS, and the fact many users are eventually going to move over to it, I would expect something more along the lines of, "This is unexpected, and we're looking into it--please be patient while we work with Amanero to get a fix."* I can understand that fixing this problem takes some time, but abandoning a customer who is running into problems with the most up-to-date version of an operating system your product is advertised to work with is just wrong, IMO.

Anyway, I hope I manage to pinpoint the problem later today. Perhaps I really do have a bad USB module, or there is truly a problem with Windows 10 and the Amanero module. I am fortunate enough to have a number of different PCs running different operating systems at home to figure this out with :)

* It might be the case that Kingwa really is already working on this, and he just isn't communicating this well in his e-mails (language barrier?)

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #959 of 1,962
  That's fair. P.S. I'm not pissed at anyone yet. I won't have my new baby for more than a week, after which I'll find out if I'm mad at someone for making me go back to Windows 8.1.

Can anyone confirm that The Amanero driver works on Windows 8.1 64-bit?

I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit. It works. I do need to turn it off and turn it on for it to be seen by windows 8.1. Not a big deal after you do it a few times.

I agree with Stillhart that the compatibility between Windows 10 and the DAC-19 is out of the control of Audio-GD. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #960 of 1,962
I use a macbook air and an iPhone with CCK.  The mac doesn't care. The iPhone requires a restart.  Oddly I did have both the Dac-19 and my HA-1 both plugged into a USB Hub.  When I plugged the computer connection of the hub into the iPhone in this configuration, it registered as audio-gd dac, and did not require a restart.  With the Dac-19 straight into the iPhone, it requires a restart, and registers as something or other usb.  It will not work usb hub to phone without the HA-1 connected.  As I said, the mac doesn't care, it just hooks up.

This only sort of relates, but still....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back