New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jun 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #361 of 1,962
Since DAC19 use much less power (comparing to Ref-7) so I just left it power on with DI all the time.  It has been on for about a week continuously. I have been watching the sub-bass weight of DAC19.  While the bass is now probably "fully grown" with good texture and tightness, the impact and weight (may also improve along the burn-in) are still not to the Ref-7 level.

However, today I was listen to the 9 symphony of Beethoven.  I realized quite a bit spacial information and the refreshing concert hall feeling in the music that was new to my ear.  The DAC19 with its improved Master 7 algorithm does really good job on the details in the high frequency component while the music remain very smooth even at quite high volume.  This is certainly the strength of Audio-gd's DAC.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #362 of 1,962
Has there been any word from Kingwa whether there will be an updated USB driver for the upcoming release of Windows 10?

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #363 of 1,962
I will have my DAC19 for sale now!
I have my eyes set on the Master 11.

If anyone wants a brand new perfect condition DAC19 with custom Metal feet, make me a reasonable offer!

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #364 of 1,962
http://www.head-fi.org/t/772511/2015-6-24-audio-gd-dac-19-new-and-for-sale-custom-options

here is a link to my for sale thread. :D

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #365 of 1,962
Thank you all for advices. I changed cables  and running 2 weeks now without problem 
normal_smile .gif

BTW I am using Audio GD RCA interconnect cable and it is very good. I recommend these.

I am considering change my current integrated amp which is Denon PMA 1500AE by AGD Precision 2 or Master 10, use ACSS for sure.
Does anyone have experience how DAC19 pairs with these units? Or any other good pairings for DAC19?
It should be driving "power hungry" speakers Xavian XN125 (140W at 4Ohm, but wil be upgraded to 120W/8Ohm).
Plus For Precision 2 is good HP output. Any more ideas/hints please? Also Is this step up?

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #366 of 1,962
I got the DAC-19 with 384 USB input yesterday, and started listening right out of the box (after 30 minutes warm up, and downloading appropriate USB driver). Using Chord SilverPlus USB cable (haven't A/Bed with stock).

Although I was expecting an improvement over my externally powered HRT MS HD, at first the change was subtle. Classical music sounded fuller, but I wasn't initially focused on the tone as much as the lovely instrument separation. Then I tuned in some vocal ensemble stuff and was very impressed by the way voices sounded so natural and distinct in the mix.

(Actually funny story: I work in an academic environment, but one of my topics at times is to listen to the music of jihadi groups like the Islamic State... So when I invited in a colleague to hear a particular song, we just sort of cracked up, thinking. Wow, ISIS songs shouldn't sound this good!)

Listening to Jethro Tull's HDTracks Aqualung was strange, as the harder attack of the HRT HD seemed to help rock music (until it got annoying), and so the DAC-19 had less of a bite, but Anderson's voice and the individual instruments did sound more realistic and life-like. Overall, I definitely prefer the DAC-19, but I can see why some people still like Delta-Sigma speed and attack in some cases.  

I have about 20 hours of burn in (i.e. over night) and my Beyer DT150s may be limiting the chain somewhat, but the sound with them through my Lehman  BCL is really good. In the past when I have listened to Jonathan Cohen's new B-Minor Mass 96/24 from Linn at high gain the sound was slightly harsh. Now listening it seems rounder and more refined at the same time. The bass for me is good, and the soundstage is fine. Again, the headphones have good (even great) spacing relative to closed cans, but obviously, I'm not expecting a full-frontal stage like one would get from the HD800. 

More thoughts will be coming along. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of ways to compare with other DACs, or tell you all with certainty that the 384 is 'amazing' compared to 'x'.  Also, I haven't tried the SPDIF input, as I don't have a way to do that at the moment. 

Can anyone explain to me whether there would be a difference having the ACSS front button setting on or off? I'm not sure if I can hear it. Maybe. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #368 of 1,962
I noticed slightly better dynamic and better resolution on trebles/bass via SPDIF. Thats why I left USB for now (using Supra USB cable). But will try again after some time (to avoid psychoacoustic).

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #369 of 1,962
I may be really daft, but I don't fully understand the setting difference as I'm using RCA, but it works with the button pressed or not. Does it activate some kind of filter that also makes a difference with RCA, or is it not relevant to RCA? I completely didn't understand the explanation of ACSS (http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/ACSS.htm).

You're right that the button says 'Setting', but I don't really know what that means in practice:

Right button: Choose between RCA and ACSS output configure. (Owners can choose this button anytime.)

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #370 of 1,962
Still not sure where you get the ACSS stuff but the manual states... 

Setting button: 
Select the phase of output signal  , pull off for the normal output, push into for invert output .

Which swap the push pull relationship of sound.  In phase starts an impulse with a push while inverse phase pulls.  Since they then go the other way it's subtle when done to both speakers/ears.  When one side is out of phase that's when you really hear something is off.

For example nearly all HiFiMAN headphones are wired in inverse phase.  No one complains or notices.  Put a button on something... and placebo kicks in :wink:

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #372 of 1,962

I noticed slightly better dynamic and better resolution on trebles/bass via SPDIF. Thats why I left USB for now (using Supra USB cable). But will try again after some time (to avoid psychoacoustic).

It's possible you may have a dirty USB signal.  Have you tired using something like an ifi iPurifier or Schiit Wyrd?

I may be really daft, but I don't fully understand the setting difference as I'm using RCA, but it works with the button pressed or not. Does it activate some kind of filter that also makes a difference with RCA, or is it not relevant to RCA? I completely didn't understand the explanation of ACSS (http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/ACSS.htm).

You're right that the button says 'Setting', but I don't really know what that means in practice:

Right button: Choose between RCA and ACSS output configure. (Owners can choose this button anytime.)

It inverts the phase and only some systems will be able to hear a difference.  My understanding is that for most people, it'll do nothing.  For some people, though, it'll be very noticeable.  

There's no need for a cynical "placebo" explanation.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #373 of 1,962
Nope, I did not try..  Thanks. I will do. And also another PC - my laptop. Which is easier and it has much newer HW. 
There is not big difference like audilble noise or something. Only sound characteristic  is different very slightly. I would generally describe sound via SPDIF more "mature" and airy. Thanks for ideas, I wil still test it.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #374 of 1,962
A few years ago,We have ever do some test with the different computers.
I guess the sound quality may depend on the mother board design.
In our test , The best detail and neutral sound present from the Macbook with WIN7, the SONY notebook had the warmer and rich sound.
The IBM old notebook had the warm sound and smooth.
A Chinese made band notebook sound just like listen with a USD30 DVD player.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #375 of 1,962
On this jus to share i added uptone regen amber usb to dac19....the sq improvement is a big step up timbre... Tone .. Details..air . tighter n cleaner bass
and organic presentation. Far exceeded my expectation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back