New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jun 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #331 of 1,962
You getting a balanced DAC as well?  If not, why the NFB1AMP instead of the better C2?

Curious to know why also.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #332 of 1,962
  You getting a balanced DAC as well?  If not, why the NFB1AMP instead of the better C2?

why would the C2 be better? I was under the impression that the only difference is one is balanced and one is SE. 
I would like for Kingwa to chime in and correct me if I misunderstood. 

quote from website "Different to the C-2 ( 11th Anniversary Edition ):
The C-2 is a single ended  headamp and preamp (+/- 30V DC high voltage power supply ), The NFB-1AMP is balance  headamp and preamp (+/-15V DC power supply ).  So They had same output power specs can drive most headphone as well.
If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the C-2 get better performance than the NFB-1AMP.
If customer had the balance connector headphone or can modify the headphone with balance connector, choice the NFB-1AMP.
"

I guess the NFB1AMP is 2000MW @ 25ohm pure class A.

but he said if I want a warmer sound than my NFB28+DAC19 then I should get the C2.

I personally think its about right where it is now. I just want to keep the sound signature as close to the NFB28 amp. It will be close, but slightly better. And would be ready to attach a balanced DAC if I wanted. I could send the balanced output from the Geekwave XDF256 to the NFB1AMP. Just my thoughts anyhow. even though its 3.5mm TRRS to XLR.

Anyhow. the NFB1AMP seems to be a very good amp either way even it it's only 2/3 of the power output in pure class A.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #333 of 1,962
For the record, the PM-3 pairs extremely well with the NFB-15.  I think the warmth of the Wolfson chip really complements the PM-3 well.  In fact, I've decided to bring the NFB-15 to work to be my new work setup because it's such a nice pairing.  I'm not sure if you're still considering the NFB-15 (sounds like you settled on the NFB-28, which you already own so it makes a lot of sense) but there you have it.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #334 of 1,962
  why would the C2 be better? I was under the impression that the only difference is one is balanced and one is SE. 

You have to consider that they share the same case and power supply except that one is 4 channels and the other 2.  As such the 2 channel version has higher rails, larger parts, more filtering...  ie a closer to the M9 while the 4 channel version has to go without and use smaller parts to fit.  

The easiest to notice is the output buffers.  One gets the 150W part the other the 15W.  The caps in the amp also shrink on the 4 channels version.  We don't have a shot of the C2 with the relays removed but you can see there is something under there that isn't on the 4 channels version.  That said, we're going from internet photos so it's all speculation.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #335 of 1,962
I just got my DAC19 from the DHL delivery.  I was so surprised that Audio-gd's shipping speed.  It took just over a weekend for me to get it, from China to Oklahoma!!!   Wow!  I am very impressed.

I replace my Ref-7 with DAC19 and took a quick listen.  It was fed by the 1st gen DI via SPDIF.  I am very happy with its "family sound"!  Exactly what I was looking for.   Right out of box, the sound may be a bit younger, less mature, and congested comparing to Ref-7 and the bass quality is not exactly there yet.  But the natural tonality cannot be mistaken.  :)  Very smooth!  Comparing to my previous returned Gustard DAC-X12, X12 indeed has that extra "glossy" coating!  It is more apparent with instrument work such as violin and orchestra music.

My HE-6 and Pass Labs' Aleph 3 are just mated for each other so well.  I have not yet heard any better sound than that combo.  So the hope was to use the SE DAC19 to free up Ref-7 since Aleph is SE and Ref-7 takes too much of my desktop.  If I can get DAC19 to be 90% of Ref-7.  I would be very happy.

I will keep DAC19 burning for a few days and report back.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #336 of 1,962
DAC19 burnt in nicely after about 18 hours.   The "younger" sound has faded away and the tonality became even more natural.  The "detail forwardness" is also much reduced now.  The bass is more condensed with better weight, but it may have some way to go.  The bass impact and snappiness can use some further improvement.  However, before I got it Kingwa has already told me the bass quality will be inferior to Ref-7 due to the PS quality, which I can totally understand.  What I would like to see is how much DAC19 can approach to its big brother.  :) 

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #337 of 1,962
That last sentence is what I'm eager to know...

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #338 of 1,962
Me too,  :)

But this comparison is only compare 50% of Ref-7 with DAC19.  :)  Since I compare them using a SE amp (Aleph 3).  So I hope the DAC19 can achieve 90% of 50% of Ref-7 
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #339 of 1,962
Sorry if this might be slightly OT. But can anyone compare the Theta Prime II or Progeny to the Audio-GD DAC19? (interested mostly in the bass)

Since we are on the topic of PS (power supply) I was wondering how they compare to each other with the bass since the Theta's have two beefy transformers and the DAC19 has a more organized analog gain stage but single transformer setup.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #340 of 1,962
Sorry, I've only got a Basic II.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #341 of 1,962
  Sorry, I've only got a Basic II.

Any thoughts on that? It's almost the same as the Prime II plus the addition of another DSP chip

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #342 of 1,962
  Any thoughts on that? It's almost the same as the Prime II plus the addition of another DSP chip

Yeah, I've commented extensively on their relative sounds.  In short, I find the SE output of the Basic II to sound almost identical to the DAC-19.  The differences, if any, are very subtle.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #343 of 1,962
Hi Guys, 
I bought this DAC and using it for 3 weeks now. I am very satisfied with sound via SPDIF coax. IMO Sounds better, cleaner and more airy comparing to USB.
But I would like to ask about problem with it.
I have it connected via Xonar Essence STX SPDIF out --> HAMA Coax --> SPDIF input on DAC19, using simple HAMA interconnect until now.
But it randomly (when not playing music but switched on) start to emit some fast tick, tick, tick, tick, sound. It is very unpleasant and the solution is only to turn off/on DAC. Yesterday happened to me again and wake PC from sleep mode, turn on foobar helped me as well. 
I will most probably start with changing the SPDIF cable, then transport - remove Xonar Essence from chain and hope that the problem will disapear.
Please, anyone got an idea or similar experience?? I will appreciate any help..

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #344 of 1,962
I believe it was mentioned in the product page about the click when using SPDIF

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #345 of 1,962
The issue may cause by either possible.
1, The PC sound card had not enough output level, (standard is 0.5Vpp @ 75 ohm ) , or   the coaxial cable had high attention , if the signal level lower than 0.4Vpp , the DAC may work on the critical state, so had the click, click noise.
2, The elect interrupt cause the noise.
Try with other sources or cable can quickly confirm the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back