New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Aug 8, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #541 of 1,962
What is the advantange of acss over rca?
Yeah once i get and am convinced myself
smily_headphones1.gif

From my testing with the C-2 Class A amp (thanks for the loaner, @Soundsgoodtome!), the ACSS connection opened up the soundstage and clarity a bit almost like going balanced.  I tested it against my Theta Basic II, which when run SE sounds essentially identical to the DAC-19.  Plugged the DAC-19 in via ACSS and the Theta in via balanced.  The Theta was slightly more open but the DAC-19 was probably 70% of the way there.  

The improvement was nice.  If you do end up with an AGD amp that supports it, I highly recommend going ACSS.  It really gets that SE DAC going most of the way towards balanced and that's a great thing. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #542 of 1,962

No, I'm using the HA-1 amp section right now.  I'll have the Liquid Carbon at some point, whenever they ship.  I am contemplating the Audio-GD NFB-1Amp for a matched stack with the DAC-19.  I suspect I will end up with the NFB-1Amp at some point for aesthetics at least, and to check out an Audio-GD mid level amp, and to try out the ACSS connection.  Plus, I'm kind of heading toward needing a preamp.  I really need to stop buying electronics and get the Ether.  Or wait on the Ether.  I haven't heard rumors, but I've heard rumblings of the rumor mill starting regarding secret headphone projects.....  Hmmmm.

Maybe it wasnt you but I remember an HA-1 user having moved to the Violectric V220 + DAC-19 setup and liking it. Also, which headphones are you using right now? Ive been reading that the Ether are not MUCH of an upgrade over the HE-560.

Also, instead of a pre-amp you can go the split cable route for the pre-amp, and then use an amp of your choice. 

From my testing with the C-2 Class A amp (thanks for the loaner, @Soundsgoodtome!), the ACSS connection opened up the soundstage and clarity a bit almost like going balanced.  I tested it against my Theta Basic II, which when run SE sounds essentially identical to the DAC-19.  Plugged the DAC-19 in via ACSS and the Theta in via balanced.  The Theta was slightly more open but the DAC-19 was probably 70% of the way there.  

The improvement was nice.  If you do end up with an AGD amp that supports it, I highly recommend going ACSS.  It really gets that SE DAC going most of the way towards balanced and that's a great thing. 

Ive ordered the upgrade to the 2 RCA options so I can hook up A5+ monitors as well. I didn't want to go the route of split cables out of RCA. Both of the outputs work at the same time so I dont have to unplug headphones like many pre-amps.So ACSS is out for me.

Also I think for the price of DAC-19 and the C2 amp $950+$550 = $1500,  I think one is better off going for the Master 11 altogether and get the actual balanced setup. Also, I have slight bias since I really enjoy the Gustard H10 with my HE-560 and not planning to change the amp soon. Once the DAC-19 comes in I can try with the HA-1 amp as well. Straight out of the HA-1 SE, I preferred the H10. Im waiting on my balanced cable for the HE560 to try with the HA-1 which of course brings out the actual power of the HA-1 amp.

Edit: Just got an e-mail from Audio-gd that my DAC has been shipped :O Talk about fast service.

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #544 of 1,962

Also I think for the price of DAC-19 and the C2 amp $950+$550 = $1500,  I think one is better off going for the Master 11 altogether and get the actual balanced setup. Also, I have slight bias since I really enjoy the Gustard H10 with my HE-560 and not planning to change the amp soon. Once the DAC-19 comes in I can try with the HA-1 amp as well. Straight out of the HA-1 SE, I preferred the H10. Im waiting on my balanced cable for the HE560 to try with the HA-1 which of course brings out the actual power of the HA-1 amp.

Edit: Just got an e-mail from Audio-gd that my DAC has been shipped :O Talk about fast service.

Sure, if you're buying new, it doesn't make a ton of sense to get the DAC-19 and C-2.  But if you already have one or the other, it's a great combo.

Although I'd argue that saving $300+ when you have all SE and don't plan on upgrading is worth it for some.  Especially if you take into consideration the cost of upgrading the cables..

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #545 of 1,962
Let's at least get the numbers right, yes.  

C2/DAC19 1280
Master 11 1950

Whee bit more than 300 :wink:

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #546 of 1,962
  Let's at least get the numbers right, yes.

C2/DAC19 1280
Master 11 1950

Whee bit more than 300 :wink:

I was just getting around to looking that up, as I had thought  the Master 11 was a bit more.  Still not too bad a difference.  The master 11 is nearly twice the width of the DAC-19 though.  It is a pretty big box.  Same with the Master 7 and Master 9 combo.  The Dac-19 and NFB-1 / C2 are a nice size.

Side note - Dac-19 to HA-1 dac subject - I did a bit of bouncing back and forth again last night.  The Dac-19 output or the HA-1 analogue input is a bit louder than the HA-1 internal dac.  A little of the differences I hear between the two are related to this.  If one makes a half hearted effort to volume match, the bass extension of the Dac-19 relative to the HA-1 is less profound.  I still prefer the Dac-19, but the differences are smaller.  I still don't get the faction that slams the HA-1 dac - it really is pretty decent.  The Dac-19 sounds better to my ears, but the HA-1 isn't bad at all.  I was happy with it for most of a year, and still find the whole unit pretty fine all in all.  Lotsa features, decent dac, great amp.  It actually sounds really killer out of the DAC-19.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #547 of 1,962
in my experience between connecting M7 to M9 via ACSS vs Balanced XLR:

The ACSS connection feels more responsive/reactive/fluid(liquid smooth transients with no hint of distortion), more holographic/transparent and super neutral sound. XLR seems to have some kind of input/response lag & very very subtle distortion when delivering super fast transients, also the mids seem alittle bit recessed/veiled. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #549 of 1,962
I was just getting around to looking that up, as I had thought  the Master 11 was a bit more.  Still not too bad a difference.  The master 11 is nearly twice the width of the DAC-19 though.  It is a pretty big box.  Same with the Master 7 and Master 9 combo.  The Dac-19 and NFB-1 / C2 are a nice size.

Side note - Dac-19 to HA-1 dac subject - I did a bit of bouncing back and forth again last night.  The Dac-19 output or the HA-1 analogue input is a bit louder than the HA-1 internal dac.  A little of the differences I hear between the two are related to this.  If one makes a half hearted effort to volume match, the bass extension of the Dac-19 relative to the HA-1 is less profound.  I still prefer the Dac-19, but the differences are smaller.  I still don't get the faction that slams the HA-1 dac - it really is pretty decent.  The Dac-19 sounds better to my ears, but the HA-1 isn't bad at all.  I was happy with it for most of a year, and still find the whole unit pretty fine all in all.  Lotsa features, decent dac, great amp.  It actually sounds really killer out of the DAC-19.

It took me less than 10 minutes to hear that the internal DAC of the HA-1 wasn't for me. The bass weight though and authority of the amp though makes it a great starting point for people and I would own the HA-1 for its neat interface and quality amp section. I'll be looking the used market for amps but the next stage for me would be to go completely balanced and since none of my DACs are balanced it isn't a plausible option yet.

So for now I will enjoy the clean gain of my Asgard 2 which seems to be a chameleon to whatever DAC I hook it up to. Slam and euphony is something though that can be heard and make minor differences when moving up to bigger league amps. Otherwise if there is enough clean gain for your headphones, why chase the magic dragon? DACs and headphones change the flavor of the sound more so than amps.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #551 of 1,962
Ok, I just have to vent and rage about this as I've been home all day waiting for the delivery!

DHL was about to deliver my DAC-19 at my door but my neighbour, who is expecting a package from Amazon.ca, stopped him and said "hey! That's for me!" And didn't bother to read the recipient name and address! Grrrrrrrrr. What an idiot she is. So because she didn't have a way to pay for the customs duties and taxes (she is locked out of her house) they refused delivery to an address that isn't on the waybill.

What kind of chain of events has to happen for this to occur?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edit: I have to admit though that from China on a Friday to my door on a Monday is quite impressive.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #552 of 1,962
Ok, I just have to vent and rage about this as I've been home all day waiting for the delivery!

DHL was about to deliver my DAC-19 at my door but my neighbour, who is expecting a package from Amazon.ca, stopped him and said "hey! That's for me!" And didn't bother to read the recipient name and address! Grrrrrrrrr. What an idiot she is. So because she didn't have a way to pay for the customs duties and taxes (she is locked out of her house) they refused delivery to an address that isn't on the waybill.

What kind of chain of events has to happen for this to occur?

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Edit: I have to admit though that from China on a Friday to my door on a Monday is quite impressive.

The only thing that led to that is a terrible delivery driver.  He should have rang your doorbell and let you two sort it out.  You deliver it to the address on the box.  That's like your ONE effing job.  >.<

Sucks man.  Getting tomorrow at least?

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #553 of 1,962
The only thing that led to that is a terrible delivery driver.  He should have rang your doorbell and let you two sort it out.  You deliver it to the address on the box.  That's like your ONE effing job.  >.<

Sucks man.  Getting tomorrow at least?

Agree about the driver. I mean really. I know, first world issues.

Yeah, re-scheduled for tomorrow but I'm ramping up work again starting tomorrow. Sigh.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #554 of 1,962
Although this was not in regards to the DAC-19, I had a similar though less absurdly poor experience with DHL last week for an amp out of Hong Kong. I waited all day for it after class and even tagged a note on the door with my tracking number and sig to leave at the door. I never heard anything (headphones were off), but checked my tracking later that night to find the "delivery attempted" status. There was no delivery attempted at all. The driver was lying.

I felt the same way, that I should not be bothered when it is amazing how fast shipping was across the world. But the price of the shipping paired with both the driver's dishonesty and my own anticipation caused me to call down a complaint on the driver personally, which I was told dis occur. It seems state-side the quality of DHL drops compared to elsewhere.

Of course, now that I have the amp, all of that has been long forgotten, as it may be with you.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #555 of 1,962
So the DAC-19 has landed.

Letting it warm up for 45 min before listening. Physically the unit is lighter than I expected and pleased that's it's about the same size as the HA-1, just a tad smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back