New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Mar 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,831 of 1,962
  So I performed the side grade from DAC-19 to NOS-19 using the dyi TCXO clock + capacitors shipped from Audio-GD. Upgraded firmware from DSPv7 to NOSv2 successfully. I was somewhat surprised that the sound is a little etchy out of the gate... I hope this really is the TCXO clock burning in! (On another TCXO clock upgrade page on agd site - "If you take the clock for upgrade, before sound compare, please burn in it. The clock burn in not myth, it is real effect the performance of the clock.")

I'm sure it'll just take a bit of time...I'd re-evaluate after at least 50 hours. Don't you remember how your DAC-19 was in the beginning? I know that mine was a bit treble happy but eventually toned down in the end. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,832 of 1,962

I'm sure it'll just take a bit of time...I'd re-evaluate after at least 50 hours. Don't you remember how your DAC-19 was in the beginning? I know that mine was a bit treble happy but eventually toned down in the end. 

Well, I have let it run for 100 hours now and still the same. I was previously using the DAC-19 in NOS mode (upsampling in software) so by all measures and what Kingwa has stated, this should have been an improvement ... if you like the DAC-19 in NOS mode, then the NOS-19 should sound even better. Maybe I botched the soldering, though I would assume that it would either work or it wouldn't work ...

I am also using an SU-1 via I2S to the DAC/NOS-19 and wondering if the asynchronous clock in the NOS model is simply a big downgrade from the clocked output from the SU-1, and the re-clocking is making things worse not better. I guess I can try and go back.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #1,833 of 1,962
I did sidegrade to NOS19 as well. Burn in of NOS module is real. When I switched and heard immediate sound it was like a nightmare.
After several days the sound settled in.. and it was OK !

But in the end I switched back to DAC19 v7. I missed accuracy and sharpness of the DAC. For me NOS is too relaxed when using for longer time

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,835 of 1,962
  I did sidegrade to NOS19 as well. Burn in of NOS module is real. When I switched and heard immediate sound it was like a nightmare.
After several days the sound settled in.. and it was OK !

But in the end I switched back to DAC19 v7. I missed accuracy and sharpness of the DAC. For me NOS is too relaxed when using for longer time

I've never heard a DAC-19, not for lack of trying...tried hard to find a cherry used one F.S., finally gave up.

I have the NOS 19, and it's so good/so perfect for my sonic tastes, that the thought of replacing it or experimenting w/DACs rarely crosses my mind. This is an amazing-sounding digital unit IMO.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,836 of 1,962
It is about preferencies.. I heard D19 with old firmware (worst), N19 v1 firmware (better) and ended with D19 latest (best). I did not have a chance to listen N19 v2. I easily believe it is one of two best with D19 v7.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #1,837 of 1,962
Just purchased a DAC-19 10th anniversary with amanero upgrade. I am planning to use optical, but I have read about how it may be more prone to jitter than USB? Hopefully not. I am planning to switch all the jumpers towards the neutral sound and turn off dithering. Is there anyone who can advise me on any other jumpers optimal positions? 

Im currently listening to a Stax 3100 system through a $30 fiio d03k and 95% of the time I couldnt ask for more. I am blown away and sometimes I literally say "wow" out loud to myself. Today I modded them with ZMF lambskin pads, and also waiting for some Sony XB1000 pads to be delivered. The bass response was definitely elevated with the new pads. 

Regardless, I find it hard to imagine what the DAC-19 will bring to the table since it is a big upgrade to the fiio. Any input on what improvements I will hear? 

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,838 of 1,962
  Regardless, I find it hard to imagine what the DAC-19 will bring to the table since it is a big upgrade to the fiio. Any input on what improvements I will hear? 

I have an original version Fiio E17K that I still use with my gaming PC, in place of the on-board soundcard. I find it quite treble happy but for gaming purposes, it's good enough. As for music, I ditched it a long time back because the SQ just didn't cut it for me. It was replaced by an ODAC, which is a very competent DAC, despite being powered by the USB port and costing only $150. 

In my case, the DAC-19 is heads and shoulders above the Fiio in terms of tonal accuracy, neutrality, clarity, refinement and finesse. Then again, that's what I could say about the ODAC vs the E17K, except that the DAC-19 is yet again better than the ODAC.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,840 of 1,962

Sheeshon, just out of curiosity, if you're planning on using optical why did you get the amanero upgrade? I personally haven't used optical but from what I have read, of all the interfaces that's the worst. I've used usb (amanero) and coax and to my ears there is very little to no difference. I think you'll be impressed by the quality of sound of the usb interface on the DAC-19. I'm considering getting an UpTone Regen but I can't find any information on if it improves the sound on the NOS-19. Anyone know if it does?

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,841 of 1,962
  That makes me quite excited! What settings on the jumpers did you use?

I prefer the stock settings and 8x oversampling. It seems that even though the option is there to go lower and NOS, the DSP doesn't quite work all that well with it. When I tried NOS, it sounded like I had a bad tube amp with really flabby/fuzzy bass, warm but not quite present mids and non-existent treble. Kingwa did say that a future DSP update will take NOS into account for his programmable DACs.
It's the reason why he designed the NOS-19 too.

That said, I am on the previous DSP version, as opposed to the current one which is what you should be getting. On this thread, we've had reports of it being a bit brighter/resolving than before. There was also one person who reverted back after upgrading to the new DSP because they preferred the older version.

I'm considering getting an UpTone Regen but I can't find any information on if it improves the sound on the NOS-19. Anyone know if it does?

The Amanero USB board already does its own reclocking, so theoretically there shouldn't be a difference. In practice, I have a Wyred4Sound Recovery USB reclocker that, to my ears, had no effect whatsoever on the sound. OTOH, the strange thing is that a Supra USB cable did make a positive difference, but I blame that on my wonky laptop USB port not behaving well with lesser USB cables.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,842 of 1,962

Sheeshon, just out of curiosity, if you're planning on using optical why did you get the amanero upgrade?

I purchased a used one that came with it. It was the version before Oct 12 2016, that does not have the jumpers for oversampling.

I am pretty confused about the whole I2S process if someone could explain. If i2s is used, than the Dac's clock is bypassed? 

There is a hdmi i2s module that will come with the Dac-19. Would I just run HDMI from my computer to the Dac for the best performance? I understand that optical is best for rejecting RF noise. USB is best for low-jitter, but i2s would be the lowest possible jitter?

Also, if I use hdmi from my computer would it be from my motherboard (asrock fatality h87) or from my videocard (nvidia gtx780)? 

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,845 of 1,962
I'm thinking about picking up this amp to pair with my Liquid Carbon. What's the consensus here? Based on my search, it sounds like several people here like the pairing. 

Second question: Is this a significant improvement over the Schiit Mimby? 

I'm essentially looking for the best DAC I can get for around $500 or so dollars used to pair with the LC. I value clarity, speed and an overall dynamic sound. I see people here prefer it to the Mojo. Has anyone compared this to the iFi iDAC2 or Parasound zDAC2?

Last question: Should I buy this amp? (Maybe I should have just led with that question.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back