New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Oct 19, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #77 of 455
  The sensitivity of these headphones is quite high. At ERP, we measure around 106 dB/1mW. (Probably the most efficient Planar ever ?) We have tried it with several amps and most of them drive it well. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #78 of 455
  The sensitivity of these headphones is quite high. At ERP, we measure around 106 dB/1mW. (Probably the most efficient Planar ever ?) We have tried it with several amps and most of them drive it well. 

if that measurement is accurate, then that claim of most sensitive planars is probably true as the PM-1s were previously characterized as the most sensitive planars at 102 dB/1mW. However, the Oppo's impedance is 32 ohms, so it would still probably be easier to drive.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #79 of 455
Headphone measurements are tricky. When a headphone is measured there are multiple points  (DRP – The drum reference point, EEP – The Ear Entrance Point and ERP – The Ear Reference point)  where you can measure the efficiency.

At Audeze we have always quoted DRP and Oppo uses ERP, which is closer to the headphone. 

LCD-X is probably a bit more efficient that Oppo PM-1 measured at the same point (ERP), compensated for impedance.  

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 19, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #81 of 455

106 dB/1mW is very, very efficient I would say and I really like the new look!!

I know it’s only a prototype, but is the sound sig more like the LCD 3, LCD X or something totally different in your opinion?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #82 of 455
  Headphone measurements are tricky. When a headphone is measured there are multiple points  (DRP – The drum reference point, EEP – The Ear Entrance Point and ERP – The Ear Reference point)  where you can measure the efficiency.

At Audeze we have always quoted DRP and Oppo uses ERP, which is closer to the headphone. 

LCD-X is probably a bit more efficient that Oppo PM-1 measured at the same point (ERP), compensated for impedance.  

interesting information. thank you

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #83 of 455
  1200 Ohm??

In case no one has done the calculations yet, this one will be able to run directly off the speaker terminals of a 100W/ch integrated amp without blowing up!

The only problem is that if it actually turns out to be a 1200 Ohm headphone, it would require a 100W amp!!
eek.gif

Most likely a typo.

100WPC @ 4 or 8 ohms?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #84 of 455
I wonder could the WA2 power this headphone and what it would be like through the DNA Stratus?

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #90 of 455
So can anyone please explain the question - Why would a higher impedance be an easier load to drive?

These headphones sound too interesting to pass, though I'm using a tube amp atm, it would be interesting to see if I should continue with tubes or go solid state (Rag)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back