New Audeze LCD3
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #8,296 of 11,521

Hah, yeah really. At least the LCD2s seem to have less imbalance reports lately. It's kind of crazy that even a quick perusal of forum posts is finding a lot of early and mid-2013 LCD3 production line channel issues. Meanwhile my HE6 has been a flawless performer.

Not entirely sure it's not an "ortho thing" either. My LCD-3s are from the release in Nov 2011. Sent them back to be updated to the latest driver versions in 2012 (June-ish) and I've never had any issues with them (nor my LCD2R1 or LCD2R2). And two good friends have both had HE-6 channel imbalance issues over the past 2 years.

Don't worry, they're customer service is top notch. They turned my LCD-3s (when sent back for the update) in 1 day. 
redface.gif

Then the beyer T1s have got drivers going down left and right it seems...and they're traditional dynamic drivers. So my point....none really...going back to downloading iOS7 on all my iDevices. 
smile.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #8,297 of 11,521
  To be fair, both my HE-6 and LCD-2 had never given me any technical issue while they were with me. Somehow, I couldn't help having this feeling that I was living with a time bomb, given the number of failures reported. Sending the headphones back for servicing is PITA too. Recently, I sent my Mini Torii amp back to Decware to fix channel imbalance and noise issue, and it cost me $300 shipping charge, not to mention the trouble and time spent on shipping and collecting the parcel. With the HD800, I never worry about that as my local service centre is just 15 minutes drive away, and on top of that, I hardly hear of any failure with Sennheiser. Of course, if you love the Audeze and Hifiman sound, I think it is still a small price to pay and it will definitely feel worthwhile for you to take the risk.

I haven't had a problem with lcd2 either, nor my friends had problems with lcd3/2 . Hope it remains that way. 

And yes...feel more confident with HD800 in this regards...but what can I say...they are a lot bigger & older than Audeze.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #8,298 of 11,521
I haven't had a problem with lcd2 either, nor my friends had problems with lcd3/2 . Hope it remains that way. 

And yes...feel more confident with HD800 in this regards...but what can I say...they are a lot bigger & older than Audeze.

Hope it remains the same too. Especially the friends part :p

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,300 of 11,521
I own a pair of mid-2013 LCD3s and have had 2011 and 2012 production in my home system. No channel imbalance issues in any of them.

In contrast, I've had 2 pairs of vintage Stax Lambdas with channel imbalance issues. Had a new 303 that completely lost a driver. My 507's  broke apart at the arc/frame junction as I took them out of the box. Perhaps they're better now, but a few years ago I couldn't even get Yamas to answer their email.

As has been stated repeatedly, Audeze customer service is superb. With zero facts, I think it is grossly unfair to speculate that whole batches of Audeze production are defective.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #8,302 of 11,521
Audeze has their own odd design decisions.  Getting the driver angle through pads while not changing the yoke... bad.  There's a reason Senn and Beyer angle the housing and not the pad :wink:

That I agree, angle pads are really uncomfortable, I hate angle pads, thinking of selling them all.

HD800, T1 even some Audio Technica are all angled inside the housing driver.

LCD4 should have angled driver not the angled pads ! SERIOUSLY !!! , and for once can they fix the yoke ?

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8,303 of 11,521
Audeze has their own odd design decisions.  Getting the driver angle through pads while not changing the yoke... bad.  There's a reason Senn and Beyer angle the housing and not the pad :wink:

That I agree, angle pads are really uncomfortable, I hate angle pads, thinking of selling them all.

HD800, T1 even some Audio Technica are all angled inside the housing driver.

LCD4 should have angled driver not the angled pads ! SERIOUSLY !!! , and for once can they fix the yoke ?

I guess that's also dependent on the shapes of our heads/cheekbone/chin bone as I find my LCD3 more comfortable than my HD800. The HD800 earpads/earcups are too big. If I wear it so that my ear is inside the lower or middle of the cup, I feel it clamps too tightly and pressed into my temple.

The pressure can be fixed by extending the arms so my ear us inside the upper part of the cup. I find this more comfortable and give me a tad more bass but now it the bottom of the earcups reach down to my lower jaw/chin bone which fee awkward.

OTOH the lcd3 sits firmly on my head without any discomfort and I can wear it for hours. Maybe bigger sized head will have more issue with it.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #8,305 of 11,521
I have a the lcd3 and prefer the hd800 in overall sound signature and comfort. Mine are in mint condition and about 6 months old. Anyone interested in buying these in the US for $1400 send me a PM.

popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #8,306 of 11,521
I have a the lcd3 and prefer the hd800 in overall sound signature and comfort. Mine are in mint condition and about 6 months old. Anyone interested in buying these in the US for $1400 send me a PM.

Ya this is one of reason I didn't buy LCD3 and will not buy Audeze in near future.

The main reason is the comfort issue and the weight.

Sorry not contributing to your sale :frowning2: but I am sure there will be others who have higher comfort tolerance. :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #8,308 of 11,521
LCD-2 is thicker sounding, fuzzier sound stage, harder treble.  LCD-3 is smoother but also faster with a focus stage.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #8,309 of 11,521
Creamier and smoother?

The LCD 4 at a new price of $6,500. Can't let the gravy train stall when the Abyss is stealing the show. :rolleyes:

If you like the bass dominant sound, the LCD 2 is your baby. If you like a better balance across the freq. range, the 3s have it.

I see creamier and smoother as less definition, softer transients so take that into consideration when reading my reply.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #8,310 of 11,521
My story has a happy ending. I sent my LCD3s to Audeze and in exactly one week, I received them back. Audeze replaced both LCD3 drivers, made a new graph, and cleaned and buffed the headphones. Their point of contact was incredibly polite and communicative and let me know exactly when my headphones arrived and were shipped back out to me.

They sound dramatically different now. They're extracting detail better than they were before. Cymbals are particularly noticeable. Vocals are more forward. Everything just sounds clearer and less recessed. I don't remember the LCD3s sounding like this when I first listened to them on my First Watt. The LCD3 was kind of meh overall, not great, not bad. They sound a lot more fun now. I can make out backgrounds instruments better, while vocals, guitars, and drums are tighter, and vocals are much more engaging. Before, vocals, sounded like they were buried. I usually have pretty good memory when it comes to audio, and I'm shocked at the difference. I just thought the LCD3 paired poorly with my First Watt J2 and every other amp I've heard them on. I can't wait to hear them on a Leviathan and balanced Dynahi.

Audeze's customer support was some of the most courteous and responsive I've ever experienced in electronics. I'd recommend them unreservedly to anyone thinking of picking up an Audeze headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back