New Audeze LCD3
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #7,621 of 11,521
Quote:
Absolutely but where they track evenly on the freq resp, the tone will be the same level.  It won't be as fast, linear, impactful or anything else but tone for tone the volume is the same where it tracks.  Presentation is completely different.

+1 on Solude's post

I repeat that the LCD-3 improved on what I didn't like on the HD650, but didn't disappoint by lacking what I liked on the Senns.  So it could mean anything, but not really because I've explained the main differences I found in another post a few days after getting the Audeze:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/705

Page 48 of the Audeze LCD-3 Appreciation Thread

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #7,622 of 11,521
So much for getting off the Audeze train.  My new pair of LCD-3 from the late May batch on the GS-X mk2 are just awesome.  The cliff notes of the comparison to the HD800 are a more natural presentation, full extension and great dynamic range.  Makes the HD800 sound quite compressed, rolled off and flat in comparison.  Colour me impressed though credit where credit is due, the common element here is the GS-X mk2 which took the HD800 from 'no thanks' to 'these are quite good' and now the LCD-3 from 'I like them but something is off' to 'oh boy' :wink:

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7,623 of 11,521
So much for getting off the Audeze train.  My new pair of LCD-3 from the late May batch on the GS-X mk2 are just awesome.  The cliff notes of the comparison to the HD800 are a more natural presentation, full extension and great dynamic range.  Makes the HD800 sound quite compressed, rolled off and flat in comparison.  Colour me impressed though credit where credit is due, the common element here is the GS-X mk2 which took the HD800 from 'no thanks' to 'these are quite good' and now the LCD-3 from 'I like them but something is off' to 'oh boy' :wink:

Totally makes sense. As our opinions between the hd800s and LCD-3s diverged, they are now back in line. As I always had the GS-X and you can now hear what I was listening to. The LCD-3s have never sounded as good as on the GS-X. :)

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7,624 of 11,521
Quote:
Totally makes sense. As our opinions between the hd800s and LCD-3s diverged, they are now back in line. As I always had the GS-X and you can now hear what I was listening to. The LCD-3s have never sounded as good as on the GS-X.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am so gonna try GS-X
biggrin.gif
. Is it capable of driving HD800 too?

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #7,626 of 11,521
It really is the last stop in amps for dynamic headphones unless you're a DHT lover.

Guess the only question left is whether a B22/HD800 combo is a bit much for a 6 year old's laptop rig?  /runsaway

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #7,628 of 11,521
I thought the Dynahi and HeadAmp Reference were pretty much stand ins for each other back in '04ish.  Keeping in mind of course that the HE-6 isn't a headphone but a headspeaker :wink:

I try not to include amps that don't exist yet or aren't commercially available in ranking since you can't just go out and buy one.  ECP amps I have not heard but the designer is a bright guy who likes to think outside the box, think First Watt type 'interesting' designs.

DHT is directly heated triode aka 300b, 2a3, 45, PX4... so the likes of the EC BA, Apex Pinnacle, Woo WA5, DNA Stratus etc.  Basically an amp class where the glass cost makes a failed tube hurt, bad.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #7,629 of 11,521
Don't ask me where this stops but... LCD-3 incoming... again /facepalm

Can't understand what made you get rid of them in the first place :cool:

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #7,630 of 11,521
Solude is Solude :D

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #7,631 of 11,521
In the earliest LCD-3s the frequency response would clearly start dipping away just before 1kHz.

Then after they fixed the veiling issues and the serial numbers changed to 261, the frequency response would start dropping away at around 1.5kHz. Graphs up until at least January all looked pretty similar in this respect.

It does look like they have made a change (it could be a physical change with the headphones or the measuring dummy head), as they are now consistently starting to drop away at around 1.75kHz and the ramp is slower initially too.

What difference this would make in terms of actual listening I couldn't possibly say....perhaps nothing. I am trying to recall Solude's original issues but I recall that no two pairs sounded the same when he listened to them before including ones that showed similar graphs. There were reports of timing/responsiveness/musicality varying.

I have heard 3 LCD-3s. I heard a demo one first. Then I had one that I returned primarily because it said repair on the graph even though it was brand new (the shop had proactively sent it back to Audeze for checking as it started serial 231, and Audeze returned with a graph saying repair).....I didn't feel comfortable have the word repair printed on a brand new item. But also it had a ringing resonance type sound at around middle C on the piano. The final one was a 261 pair which, oddly according to the graph, was tested within an hour of the 231 repaired pair!! Overall I felt tone, response, soundstage etc all sounded pretty much the same and I was using the Clavinova in all cases to evaluate it. The only variance was this ringing/resonance which was subtle but off-putting as a piano player.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #7,633 of 11,521
Dear Audeze,

Just like to know what special glue you guy use to glue the mini XLR connector to the headphone. Mine have come off my $2000 LCD-3

Best regards,

Loyal customer.

Any member know what the best glue to uses please comment.
As I don't want to ruin these headphone. Still under warranty but postage going to cost $200 for a round trip.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #7,634 of 11,521
Thats a bummer. Always wondered how the connector covers were attached.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #7,635 of 11,521
Wow that sucks man. I always thought they were screwed on or something. Anyone else have this happen to them as well.

Also a general question for anyone out there. The warranty indicates 3 year. I understand stuff like scratches, ear pads and stuff going bad over that time. That's fine and it should be the responsibility of the customer, but what about driver burnout or failures after the 3 year period. Audeze models came out this decade. I don't think anyone is out of warranty yet, but what happens after the warranty runs out for stuff like driver dying. I understand the 3 year thing and also the fact they fairly outlined it, yet at the same time $2000 is a lot for a headphone and I think stuff like driver failing afterwards should be covered. Now of course, something like 10 years later, drivers going bad, that perhaps might be understandable (even though I have seen that planar magnetic drivers should last long), but what about something like 4 or 5 years.  Maybe they'll do something like Hifiman, where they give you a refurbished model for cheap. I think a refurbished exchange process costs around $100 ish. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back