New Audeze LCD3
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7,276 of 11,521
Quote:
If you swap the cable left/right and the same side is out... headphone.  If it was the tube the ear that was out would follow the cable.  Long story short try another headphone.  That rules out the rest of the gear.

Yah I swapped left/right. Still nothing. So it seems the right speaker is just gone. I can't believe this :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #7,277 of 11,521
Quote:
So, tonight I've encountered somewhat of a disaster. I warmed up my Schiit Bifrost, and Lyr, turned on a song, then suddenly my right channel just went out. Completely.

I have no idea why or what has caused this but I am very concerned. I have contacted Audeze support about the issue, I'm not sure what they are gonna say but I just hope I can get this fixed. To make matters worse, I live all the way in Paris.

Any advice anyone can give me would be extremely helpful. The only things I've tried thus far is just switching out the cable ports to see if the cable was the issue…but its not.

Thanks guys,
Jon

Although driver failure is somewhat of a rare occurrence, I've actually had this happen in front of my eyes with two LCD3s in my very possession. The driver is dead. Contact Audeze. They have super service and will take care of you no questions asked.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #7,279 of 11,521
Quote:
So, tonight I've encountered somewhat of a disaster. I warmed up my Schiit Bifrost, and Lyr, turned on a song, then suddenly my right channel just went out. Completely.

I have no idea why or what has caused this but I am very concerned. I have contacted Audeze support about the issue, I'm not sure what they are gonna say but I just hope I can get this fixed. To make matters worse, I live all the way in Paris.

Any advice anyone can give me would be extremely helpful. The only things I've tried thus far is just switching out the cable ports to see if the cable was the issue…but its not.

Thanks guys,
Jon

Something similar happened with my LCD-3s last week. One day, the right channel began to sound muffled. Switching to the HD800s, everything was fine again. The next day, the right channel was much quieter than the left. Again I switched to the HD800s only to confirm it was the headphones. That night I emailed Audeze. Audeze prepared a form for me to ship the LCD-3s back to them.

On the third day, however, the LCD-3s miraculously regained their channel balance. Over the next few days I scrutinized their sound to death, but could not definitively identify any flaws. It has been about a week since they returned to normal. I'm still debating whether to send them back. Although I love the sound as it is and would prefer not to risk changing it by having Audeze modify it, I may have no choice.

FYI, I bought mine when they came out and have never sent them back to Audeze.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #7,281 of 11,521
"A music question: I rarely see references to classical music preferences in the LCD threads. Could anyone who favors choral music, symphonic, chamber and small-group music from any of the periods usually called "classical music" describe his or her experience? Thanks in advance."

Hi Jeffrey,

I listen exclusively to classical music of all types (chamber, opera, symphonic), and I also own a pair of LCD-3's.  As has already been said, they excel with chamber music, baroque ensembles, etc.

However, I find that I also love them for symphonic music - when using the Pan Am amp. They seem to be a really good match with the Pan Am (using both Voshkod and Mullard tubes). I was listening to some Mahler symphonies last evening (doesn't get much bigger, soundstage wise, than these) with the LCD-3's and Pan Am, and it was just gorgeous. Full, rich and plenty of soundstage/ambiance.

That said, I am not so fond of the LCD-3's using my Schiit Lyr amp.  To get the same "ahhhh moments" with the Lyr, I prefer my HD650's or Denon D2000's.

Good luck with your headphone quest!

I need to amend my conclusions about the LCD-3 with the Lyr. With the right tubes, it sounds excellent. Using Amperex USN-CEP tubes, the LCD-3 responds beautifully.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #7,282 of 11,521
I had my LCD2.2 driver fail about a month in when I first got them.  They are totally cool about replacement.  Stuff happens.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #7,283 of 11,521
I got the velour pads for my LCD3. I find it much more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. Doesn't get hot / uncomfortable anymore where the leather touched the skin. 

Sound stage seems a little bigger, at the expense of a little bit of a more laid back sound. (really slightly) I may be imagining it. 

This really makes me like them much more. I never minded the weight. This takes the comfort from a 7 to a 9 for me. In my opinion comfort is secondary in importance only to audio quality. It doesn't really matter how good something sounds if it's uncomfrotable

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #7,284 of 11,521
I was in a music shop in Tokyo this morning, as I just bought a very expensive microphone from them, they were very helpful in letting me try out all their top end headphones, Stax 009/007, Beyer T1/T5P, Fostex TH 900, Senn H650 etc and with different music genres. After hearing all those nice things about the Stax 009/007 on these forums, I was a little disappointed; don't get me wrong, they are truly excellent headphones, but for the price of the headphone/amp combo, I think the LCD-3 is the top winner hands down.

The Stax are truly excellent for jazz classic and acoustic music, but with the LCD-3, you get the same/similar clarity but with that extra fullness in the bass department, the 2 Stax's just do not have nearly the bass extension or the richness of the LCD-2/3. With other genres like pop or R&B, the punchiness is there but not enough bass volume or extension like the LCD-2/3.

For pop, the  Beyer T1 are the best among the ones I tried, but still lacking in the bass department comparing to the LCD-2/3, in fact none of the headphones I tested in the shop can produce the kind of bass quality comparable to the LCD-2/3 at all. The Fostex in my opinion is a joke, for the asking price, so lacking in quality and clarity, it doesn't sound that much better than the Senn H650 to me.

I think the Stax 009 do sound very similar to my Senn HD800 but less sibilant, they are top headphones for jazz and classic, but for me, the LCD-3 are my perfect phones, versatile, with top clarity and flat FR.

Quote:

Matter of preference.  I prefer the LCD3 to the 009.

The best Stax IMO was the SR-Omega.  If only it had a little more bass and a tighter headband it would be a perfect phone, IMO.

And I definitely agree with Jude if he said the LCD3 have the best overall combination of any phone, and certainly the best bass.

Odd, because I was never a big fan of the LCD-2.

I still love my HD800 (and HD800/650 piggybacked) but the bass of the LCD3 is just so seductive and I haven't listened to the Senns at all really since I got the LCD3.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7,285 of 11,521
Quote:
I was in a music shop in Tokyo this morning, as I just bought a very expensive microphone from them, they were very helpful in letting me try out all their top end headphones, Stax 009/007, Beyer T1/T5P, Fostex TH 900, Senn H650 etc and with different music genres. After hearing all those nice things about the Stax 009/007 on these forums, I was a little disappointed; don't get me wrong, they are truly excellent headphones, but for the price of the headphone/amp combo, I think the LCD-3 is the top winner hands down.

The Stax are truly excellent for jazz classic and acoustic music, but with the LCD-3, you get the same/similar clarity but with that extra fullness in the bass department, the 2 Stax's just do not have nearly the bass extension or the richness of the LCD-2/3. With other genres like pop or R&B, the punchiness is there but not enough bass volume or extension like the LCD-2/3.

For pop, the  Beyer T1 are the best among the ones I tried, but still lacking in the bass department comparing to the LCD-2/3, in fact none of the headphones I tested in the shop can produce the kind of bass quality comparable to the LCD-2/3 at all. The Fostex in my opinion is a joke, for the asking price, so lacking in quality and clarity, it doesn't sound that much better than the Senn H650 to me.

I think the Stax 009 do sound very similar to my Senn HD800 but less sibilant, they are top headphones for jazz and classic, but for me, the LCD-3 are my perfect phones, versatile, with top clarity and flat FR.

WHAT?

Call me curious, but how long did you listen to the stats?

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #7,286 of 11,521
Quote:

Hi Everyone:

Haven't posted here in a while, and just read the above post.
Well, I have had the pleasure of owning both sets of headphones, the LCD-3's and the 009's at the same time. The 009's I run off of my Liquid Lightning and the LCD-3 were run off of my WA5 that was maxed out with all the upgrades and upgraded tubes. 
After numerous listening sessions, I can without reservation say that to my ears, the 009's were better in every way, even WRT the bass. The 3's seemed to have more, but it was "muffled" when compared to the 009's base which just seemed cleaner and clearer. And yes there was plenty of bass with the 009's. 
Now in general is the bass of the LCD-3's "muffled"? Well when compared to all other headphones out there I had previously listened to, no, they had great tight bass, better than my previous LCD-2's. They were the best headphones I had ever heard. But when listened to side by side against the 009, the bass is not as good as the stax IMO. This is not even discussing the treble region where the 009's again outdo the 3's.
Sold my LCD-3's and my WA5.
Nuff said.

Rumble.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #7,287 of 11,521
Danz03, when you say microphone, Stax 009/007, Beyer T1/T5P, Fostex TH 900, Senn H650 etc and with different music genres, I guess "Yobobashi Akiba" and their nasty sample CD, am I right? In that case, no hesitation, they are a disservice for the SR-009, so much so, it almost pulled me off buying one when I listened there. For one, the shop is usually noisy, then their CD players are simply not good, brittle and edgy / hifi sounding is what comes to mind (some low end marantz I recall).

If it was another shop like Dyna Audio 5555, then I'd say you like bass much much and listen to music that needs it. All fine with it but maybe you should specify the music you listen and especially what you define as high fidelity to your ears. Bass extension of the 009 is definitely not lacking compared to the LCDs and it's texture is significantly better to my ears.

The one thing the LCD does miles better is pound your eardrum with massive lows. I don't call that "extension and richness", but rather "weight and presence". There is certainly a case for it, I would probably own an LCD if it wasn't that darn heavy and uncomfortable, provided I could live with the inconsistencies in the manufacturing. Actually, I am fairly certain the tonal balance of the LCDs is preferable for a large majority of younger listeners (hope I don't sound like an old fart, which I feel I ain't just yet :wink: ).

Arnaud

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #7,289 of 11,521
Quote:
I don't hear my LCD3s as bass heavy. I think the TH900s actually more like that.

I agree. The LCD-3s are NOT emphasizing the bass at all. In fact any frequency response chart clearly shows it has a nearly flat bass. If you compare to something like the Denon D7000, then you can hear the difference between flat and emphasized. In fact as I came from the D7000, and read reports about the LCD-3 being strong in the bass region, I was somewhat surprised when that turns out not to be true at all. Having said that, after I adjusted to the LCD-3 I became quickly aware of the fast dynamic clear and detailed bass the LCD-3s provide. I am sure the SR-009 is capable of more definition. In technology terms it should have the fastest transient responses. The thing is an SR-009 with compatible amplifier is not merely an alternative to an LCD-3 but a very seriously expensive upgrade. If I had the budget for it, I would probably go there myself. Do people really believe that these headphone are playing the same field? If so, then that is nothing more than a compliment to how good the LCD-3 is at its pricepoint! :wink:

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #7,290 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back