New Audeze LCD3
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #7,217 of 11,521
Worth every last penny.

Wait... you mean, like, babysitters right? 

cool.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7,221 of 11,521
Quote:
The expense is for the rig / lcds. If you have a good portable audio rig the ladies will come a running. Trust.

Which way will they be running... 
size]

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #7,225 of 11,521
OCD in me made me do it to balance out how far the hangers stick out.   And the blocks distance to the head.  OCD /facepalm

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #7,226 of 11,521
Great comparative discussion over the last two pages with a lot of valuable divergent opinions.

I'm currently evaluating three different rigs. Each uses my Grace m903 and Clearaudio Concept table as sources.

SRM-727ii > SR009
EC Super 7 > HD800
Bryston BHA-1 > LCD-3

There's a lot of similarities here. Each rig pairs a top-level transducer with an excellent-but-not-endgame amplifier. Each has distinct strengths and weaknesses. And most importantly, each is getting about the same amount of head time at the moment. I prefer the LCD-3's visceral bass above the refined Stax and polite Sennheiser bass. I actually prefer the Senns for treble -- the LCD-3 sometimes sounds overly shelved, while the SR009 is often too pointed for my preference. The SR009 is easily preferable for soundstage -- the Audez'e is too limited, while the HD800 sometimes feels exaggerated and unreal.

Right now, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the LCD-3. It won last night's Court of the Crimson King remix shootout with just the right combination of detail and aggression. The SR009 is a close 2nd, but I'm not finding enough value in it at the moment. An upgraded source and amp would probably help, though I'm not much in the mood for chasing holy grails at every level of the signal chain right now. And for all their imperfections relative to the Stax, the Sennheisers hit a sweet spot where sound quality and value intersect.

This is a fun (if occasionally frustrating) ride. Stay tuned!

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #7,227 of 11,521
Quote:
Get a good omnidirectional speaker. No sweet spot and even bigger soundstage. 

The Shehinian Obelisk blew my mind when I heard it. If I could pick a second speaker to own it'd be those.

If the speaker truly is non directive (pretty rare despite the manufacturers claims), then you're in for a darn bright rendering in typical listening room. That is unless your wife accepted to put those carpets and other ugly aborbers on the walls and the windows. 

There's no question about it, investing in reasonably good quality speakers  is not any cheaper than high end headphone rig once you factor in all the related costs...

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #7,228 of 11,521
Quote:
Great comparative discussion over the last two pages with a lot of valuable divergent opinions.

I'm currently evaluating three different rigs. Each uses my Grace m903 and Clearaudio Concept table as sources.

SRM-727ii > SR009
EC Super 7 > HD800
Bryston BHA-1 > LCD-3

There's a lot of similarities here. Each rig pairs a top-level transducer with an excellent-but-not-endgame amplifier. Each has distinct strengths and weaknesses. And most importantly, each is getting about the same amount of head time at the moment. I prefer the LCD-3's visceral bass above the refined Stax and polite Sennheiser bass. I actually prefer the Senns for treble -- the LCD-3 sometimes sounds overly shelved, while the SR009 is often too pointed for my preference. The SR009 is easily preferable for soundstage -- the Audez'e is too limited, while the HD800 sometimes feels exaggerated and unreal.

Right now, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the LCD-3. It won last night's Court of the Crimson King remix shootout with just the right combination of detail and aggression. The SR009 is a close 2nd, but I'm not finding enough value in it at the moment. An upgraded source and amp would probably help, though I'm not much in the mood for chasing holy grails at every level of the signal chain right now. And for all their imperfections relative to the Stax, the Sennheisers hit a sweet spot where sound quality and value intersect.

This is a fun (if occasionally frustrating) ride. Stay tuned!

Is the Mjolnir gone?

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7,230 of 11,521
Quote:
Also, equally amazing bass from a K340? At this point I just feel trolled.

Have you actually heard a bass-heavy version of the K340 or are you just saying that? I can't imagine someone who's heard the K340 would feel trolled by my comment, which I stick by. If you haven't heard a bass-heavy K340, then you really should. The K340 is nothing to sneeze at!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back