New Audeze LCD3
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #7,186 of 11,521
a quote from AVGUIDE

"In the bass region, the LCD2 was rightly regarded as an excellent performer, with extremely good low-frequency extension, good measures of weight and punch, and plenty of detail. Even so, the LCD3 offers even better bass, with equally good extension, but noticeably better low-end transient speed, focus, and resolution. Where the low end of the LCD2 was excellent, the LCD3 now pushes the performance envelope even further, to a point where we think it delivers the best bass we have yet heard from any headphone (including the Stax SR-009)."

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #7,188 of 11,521
You really can't take any of our preferences, or these 'audiophile' reviews as your own.

What's important the LCD-2, LCD-3 and SR-009 deliver very good bass.
Which one would best the other's, well, that's up to your ears.

Nothing is a stand-in for actually hearing the gear with your own ears.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7,189 of 11,521
You really can't take any of our preferences, or these 'audiophile' reviews as your own.

What's important the LCD-2, LCD-3 and SR-009 deliver very good bass.
Which one would best the other's, well, that's up to your ears.

Nothing is a stand-in for actually hearing the gear with your own ears.

That is something I learned this year starting as a newb in audio, at first I just read everyone's opinions and made purchases based off of that, never again, too many regrettable purchases. Not that peoples opinions aren't important, but in the end its what you like. Hopefully will be able to hear a 009 at my friends house and possibly buy a lcd3 to compare and see which one I like better for my music.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,190 of 11,521
I will also agree with MorbidToaster and MacedonianHero, i think the Sr-009 shreds the LCD-3 at everything, and that is for every genre to include every kind of extreme metal that i spend the majority of my time listening to. Tool on the Sr-009 was probably one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. Though i also would say that the LCD-3s are the second best headphones I've heard, with the HE-6s in 3rd

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #7,192 of 11,521
Quote:
My best suggestion to anyone is to never listen to an 009 rig. Seriously. It ruins everything.

Matter of preference.  I prefer the LCD3 to the 009.

The best Stax IMO was the SR-Omega.  If only it had a little more bass and a tighter headband it would be a perfect phone, IMO.

And I definitely agree with Jude if he said the LCD3 have the best overall combination of any phone, and certainly the best bass.

Odd, because I was never a big fan of the LCD-2.

I still love my HD800 (and HD800/650 piggybacked) but the bass of the LCD3 is just so seductive and I haven't listened to the Senns at all really since I got the LCD3.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #7,193 of 11,521
Quote:
My best suggestion to anyone is to never listen to an 009 rig. Seriously. It ruins everything.

I consider that a relative statement. I heard the SR-009 at a couple of meets/shows before I was finally able to hear one on my own system at home, and even then I still wasn't that impressed. And it wasn't because of the amp (BHSE) or source - because I also had the SR-007 at the same time, which I thought was way more amazing. The SR-009 couldn't hold a candle to the SR-007, and I admit that I'm completely mystified as to why so many Head-Fiers claim the SR-009 to be great, because IMO, it was barely anything special. And I freakin' used it out of the same equipment that drove the SR-007, which I thought was too awesome for words. I mean, I had the SR-009 on the BHSE. How could it not sound great? For that reason alone I had to blame the transducers.
tongue.gif

Quote:
I have only heard both the lcd3s and the 009s but It was only for a very short time in meet conditions so I cant personally say, but Jude and David Mahler have both said that the lcd3s bass beats the 009s, and also being the best of any headphone out there. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I would love for everyone to unanimously agree that the lcd3s have the best bass so I can save my wallet from death, thank you!
biggrin.gif

I'm not even a fan of the LCD-3 that much but will agree that it has really awesome bass. But you can get equally amazing bass from cheaper (discontinued) headphones like the AKG K340, so.....

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #7,194 of 11,521
I have the LCD3s and love them as great transportable phones and the bass is awesome however I still rate the 009s as a better headphone from my extended auditioning. I aim to get the 009s as a desktop can and keep the LCD3s for transportable/bedside. 

Either way IMHO they are top end cans and I love the SQ of both cans. Its just 2k gets you the LCD3s and you can pair it with a RX3B and pull some fairly good tunes where as the 009s you have to sell your first born just to get an amp and cans (min 10k). 

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7,195 of 11,521
Quote:

I consider that a relative statement. I heard the SR-009 at a couple of meets/shows before I was finally able to hear one on my own system at home, and even then I still wasn't that impressed. And it wasn't because of the amp (BHSE) or source - because I also had the SR-007 at the same time, which I thought was way more amazing. The SR-009 couldn't hold a candle to the SR-007, and I admit that I'm completely mystified as to why so many Head-Fiers claim the SR-009 to be great, because IMO, it was barely anything special. And I freakin' used it out of the same equipment that drove the SR-007, which I thought was too awesome for words. I mean, I had the SR-009 on the BHSE. How could it not sound great? For that reason alone I had to blame the transducers.
tongue.gif

I'm not even a fan of the LCD-3 that much but will agree that it has really awesome bass. But you can get equally amazing bass from cheaper (discontinued) headphones like the AKG K340, so.....

Then by using the same logic, I blame the SR-007's transducers for not sounding as good as the LCD-2s, HD-800s or TH-900s out of sub $1000 amps. And I've heard the SR-007s on some great setups. 
size]
 Sorry, but to my ears, its not even close. Great amps don't sound great with all transducers...then there's the source/DAC to consider. I couldn't bring myself to spend $1700 on a used pair of SR-007s, but yet I don't mind dropping more than double on the SR-009s. Must be something else? 
size]

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #7,196 of 11,521
If memory serves, ASR really likes the AD2000 and Qualia which is a subtle way of saying he's a bit of a treble head.  Not surprising then that bass head cans aren't topping his list.  Different strokes for different folks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #7,198 of 11,521
Yeah, I don't understand this at all. The 007 was underwhelming and dull. I'd take a HD800 or LCD 3 (especially with something like an LG powering it) over an 007 any day of the week. 

It must be the transducer... 
rolleyes.gif

Also, equally amazing bass from a K340? At this point I just feel trolled.

Quote:

tongue.gif

But the 007 are notoriously more bassy than the 009 and he thinks they're a major step up.

Quote:
If memory serves, ASR really likes the AD2000 and Qualia which is a subtle way of saying he's a bit of a treble head.  Not surprising then that bass head cans aren't topping his list.  Different strokes for different folks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #7,199 of 11,521
007 are bassy for a stat but comparable to HD600/650 levels just less physical.  No where near HD800 levels of bass let alone LCD levels.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #7,200 of 11,521
See for me the 009's physicality is one of the things that 'did it for me'. The bass was absolutely flawless when it comes to physicality and texture...and when a recording called for it there was more than enough. 

Quote:
007 are bassy for a stat but comparable to HD600/650 levels just less physical.  No where near HD800 levels of bass let alone LCD levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back