New Audeze LCD3
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #7,201 of 11,521
That's been my impression of the 009 as well.  People that typically didn't love stats do love the 009 because it has some of the dynamics strengths along with the stat advantage.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #7,202 of 11,521
Absolutely nailed it. The only stats I've ever liked were the 404LE and the 009. 

Quote:
That's been my impression of the 009 as well.  People that typically didn't love stats do love the 009 because it has some of the dynamics strengths along with the stat advantage.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #7,203 of 11,521
I owned and liked the 007MKI in the era of the HD650 but once the LCD-2 came out it just wasn't worth it for me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7,204 of 11,521
Many talking about planars it has world class bass etc. but do you think guys it is only about bass? I like bass if they do not mind and that is all. Much more important for me is overall picture of sound - reality of instruments voices, accuracy, soundstage, transparency, fragility, resolution, texture, clarity, air etc. LCD2 very good headphone in some ways but far from ideal..

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #7,205 of 11,521
Quote:
See for me the 009's physicality is one of the things that 'did it for me'. The bass was absolutely flawless when it comes to physicality and texture...and when a recording called for it there was more than enough. 

Morbid, have you owned both the LCD3 and the 009? You make owning the 009 pretty appealing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #7,206 of 11,521
I never owned an LCD 3 due to earlier (and current) production issues...but I heard both in my home with top flight amps (Cavalli Liquid Fire, Liquid Glass, and an Liquid Lightning for the 009) and I wasn't impressed. 

I still prefer the HD800, and I'd take a TH900 over an LCD 3 as well.

Quote:
Morbid, have you owned both the LCD3 and the 009? You make owning the 009 pretty appealing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #7,209 of 11,521
That's basically what I did. I reinvested that 10k into a speaker system. Some don't have that luxury though due to any number of reasons. 

I can also tell you that 10k in headphones gets you a lot further than 10k in speakers if you're looking for overall transparency and not something more musical (like I did).

Absolute detail is better in headphones as well.

Quote:
My main problem with the 009s is that I don't like headphones THAT much. For 10k, I'd rather buy a good speaker setup. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #7,210 of 11,521
Quote:
That's basically what I did. I reinvested that 10k into a speaker system. Some don't have that luxury though due to any number of reasons. 

I can also tell you that 10k in headphones gets you a lot further than 10k in speakers if you're looking for overall transparency and not something more musical (like I did).

Absolute detail is better in headphones as well.

I don't need a microscope for music! I'm happy to have a pair of headphones that sound pretty amazing (LCD3 / HD800) and get a set of really great speakers too. 

At the end of the day the added detail isn't worth it to me if I still have to be tied down by a cord / something sitting on my head. 

It really comes down to what individuals want / can afford. Obviously if you can afford to have a set of stax and a great amp + a set of really great speakers then that's the best option.

But if you have to choose.. I think for me at least the benefit of headphones diminishes around the point of 2k/headphone + 2k/upstream. After that I'd rather invest in speakers - which are an essential part of any audio system. When you have people over you cant just hand out headphones!

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #7,212 of 11,521
Makes sense. I basically decided to just buy a system that's extremely danceable and musical not caring about complete detail. It's there, but you're too busy enjoying the music to hear it unless you're critical listening. 

This is helped by the fact I'm running analog as well.

Quote:
I don't need a microscope for music! I'm happy to have a pair of headphones that sound pretty amazing (LCD3 / HD800) and get a set of really great speakers too. 

At the end of the day the added detail isn't worth it to me if I still have to be tied down by a cord / something sitting on my head. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #7,215 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back