New Audeze LCD3
Apr 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #5,476 of 11,521

Quote:
How can you be sure?
wink.gif

don't do this to me :frowning2:

It's bad enough people in the Liquid Fire thread have got me wanting to upgrade before I've even received my new WA22 in the mail yet.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5,477 of 11,521
Don't mind me. I'm just being a bit fiendish. If you like the sound, that's all that matters.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5,478 of 11,521
I can assure you the WA22 is an excellent amp for the LCD-3. And any other headphone. It has great flexibility with its variable output impedance and it responds well to tube rolling, making it easy to tune to your liking. And it looks way better than the LF..... IMO of course..  
Quote:

don't do this to me :frowning2:

It's bad enough people in the Liquid Fire thread have got me wanting to upgrade before I've even received my new WA22 in the mail yet.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5,479 of 11,521
Apr 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #5,481 of 11,521

Quote:

Does it look like a veiled pair ?

Even if yours is not a veiled early unit, it definitely measures like an early unit and it will sound audibly lusher but also darker and slower than the latest units. Which one rocks your boat is a matter of taste, one is not better than the other (I definitely prefer the latest units). There is clear difference in FR between the early units like yours and the latest units. In the latter, the line extends flat until about 1.5K, whereas in the early units the drop starts at about 0.8K. In general, the later units have about 2-3db more energy in the crucial 1K-3.5K region (they also seem to have substantially more energy above 10K, but measurements are much less reliable at higher frequencies). Hope this helps. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #5,482 of 11,521

Quote:
Does it look like a veiled pair ?

It's funny how LCD-3s from that fateful Friday December 9th still show up...

I compared #2312023 and #2312026 both from 12-9-2011, see frequency charts at http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/3150#post_8062274

#2312023 is non-veiled, I still listen to it right now non RMA'd, while #2312026 was clearly veiled. Someone had #2312027 that was also veiled, if I remember correctly. Now you have #2312072 measured one hour before the others. If you compare the graphs yours don't have the small hump around 2.5 - 3 k that mine (023) have. There were some discussions that LCD-3s without this hump are veiled, as for example #2312026. And now we of course have the current version/release of LCD-3 that apparently is on a completely different level of un-veilness...

In the end only your ears can decide, which is easier said than done when you only have access to one pair, of course. If your pair has any sign of muddiness in the bass and the treble isn't crystal clear they're veiled. You can always RMA them.

I'm thinking of maybe buying another LCD-3 pair of the latest batch to enjoy the more open sound of these. Then I don’t need to part with the LCD-3 sound one single night. I can sell one pair when LCD-4 arrives...
wink_face.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #5,483 of 11,521
I was using my LCD3's with my Lehmann BCL last night and I think I actually prefer that sound to the LCD3 + Lyr combo which seems odd to me since LCD2r2 + Lyr sounds much better to me than LCD2r2 + Lehmann.  I have yet to receive the Mullard tubes I ordered for the Lyr, though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5,484 of 11,521

Quote:
I was using my LCD3's with my Lehmann BCL last night and I think I actually prefer that sound to the LCD3 + Lyr combo which seems odd to me since LCD2r2 + Lyr sounds much better to me than LCD2r2 + Lehmann.  I have yet to receive the Mullard tubes I ordered for the Lyr, though.

Well, LCD2 isn't LCD3...

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5,487 of 11,521

Quote:
There's so much difference between your original and replacement pair, these two guys shouldn't be referred to the same model name. It would seem like Audeze has severely cut back on the damping with the revised pair, I'd be curious to see some proper graph with less smoothing applied. I bet that from a pure objective standpoint, the old version measures cleaner (especially if we were to check a csd graph). That goes a long way to show it's not that easy to reconcile subjective impressions with measurements
wink.gif

As follow-up to my earlier post (and just for grins) I thought I'd superimpose the two FR charts of the original un-veiled LCD-3s and the replacement LCD-3s.

Two observations:
1. Audeze are now starting their FR charts at 20Hz instead of 10Hz.
2. New LCD-3s chart higher at every freq, except for an odd dip at 8.8KHz - measurment artifact?...hmm.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5,488 of 11,521
^^
thanks for this, much easier to compare that way. If you were to consider loudness, probably you'd also want to drop the brown curve by a couple of dBs. The two curves look less dissimilar once they're placed on top of each other but I guess the conclusion is the same (the green curve corresponds to a headphone with more damping).

The bump by 5-8dB at ~11kHz is not a measurement artifact, I think the diaphragm really has such resonance behavior unless you significantly damp it down (green curve). It looks like the response of a ribbed structure, with the peak response occuring when each little surface between the ribs resonates (referred to as pocket modes, because there are so many resonances concentrated in a narrow band when all the small surfaces are the same dimensions).

Anyhow, the point is that many people seem to prefer the undamped version, which is quite interesting for me. As if these high frequency resonances are much less bothersome than the suckout in the midrange.

Hoping the revised lcd3 will make its way to Japan at some point.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #5,489 of 11,521

Quote:
The bump by 5-8dB at ~11kHz is not a measurement artifact, I think the diaphragm really has such resonance behavior unless you significantly damp it down (green curve). It looks like the response of a ribbed structure, with the peak response occuring when each little surface between the ribs resonates (referred to as pocket modes, because there are so many resonances concentrated in a narrow band when all the small surfaces are the same dimensions).

arnaud - thanks for the observations, much appreciated.

However, the potential measurement artifact to which I'm referring is the dip at 8.8KHz (not the bump at ~11KHz) because 8.8KHz appears to be the only freq at which the new LCD-3 displays less freq response than the original LCD-3.
Just asking - 'cause it would be great to have a better understanding of what's going on from an empirical perspective.

On the subjective side; the music I'm listening to with the new LCD-3 sounds sublime, and I'm a totally happy camper with the outcome.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,490 of 11,521

I don't know what causes the new measurement to be higher across teh spectrum, but AFAIK it is meaningless and just comes from the way they were measured.  If every frequency is higher it just means more volume as far as how it's perceived.  But I'm not sure what causes the graph to come out this way. 

Quote:
^^
thanks for this, much easier to compare that way. If you were to consider loudness, probably you'd also want to drop the brown curve by a couple of dBs. The two curves look less dissimilar once they're placed on top of each other but I guess the conclusion is the same (the green curve corresponds to a headphone with more damping).
Anyhow, the point is that many people seem to prefer the undamped version, which is quite interesting for me. As if these high frequency resonances are much less bothersome than the suckout in the midrange.
Hoping the revised lcd3 will make its way to Japan at some point.

Are you talking about damping as in felt damping?  If so, what makes you think the difference is a result of more damping?  IME more damping gives you the opposite effect- more higher frequencies and less lower frequencies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back