New Audeze LCD3
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #5,447 of 11,521
Anyone care to recommend a small and cheap amp to power a LCD-3? Right now I'm looking at O2. Size is the primary concern, otherwise I'd have bought MH's WA22.

TIA!

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,448 of 11,521
OBJ2 does a good job with the LCD3. Neutral, low noise, good control. I've used it from my computer source powering the LCD3.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5,449 of 11,521
Anyone care to recommend a small and cheap amp to power a LCD-3? Right now I'm looking at O2. Size is the primary concern, otherwise I'd have bought MH's WA22.

TIA!

O2 would be hard to beat. Waiting for the DAC inclusive version myself. It will make for the perfect portable rig.

Does anyone know if it will have USB b in? And if there are any digital iPod USB b out cables available?

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5,450 of 11,521
Portable? Involving the LCD-3? Another photo contest? Purrin, got another $50 to waste? 
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
O2 would be hard to beat. Waiting for the DAC inclusive version myself. It will make for the perfect portable rig.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #5,451 of 11,521
I imagine we're going to start seeing some desktop O2s pretty soon. It's been in the works for awhile. I'm planning to pick one up once JDS or someone starts doing those. 

Eager to hear the 'giant killer'.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #5,458 of 11,521

Quote:

Audiocrack just reported having a similar issue: Crackling while moving about. I also heard someone else's LCD3 within the last few days that would cut in and out rapidly on the right driver.

I'm the "someone else" to whom purrin is referring.

The cutting-in/out of the right driver on the LCD-3s occured during the Head-Fi Village Headphone Meet 2012 last Sunday in Hollywood.

We swapped cables between several sets of LCD-3s to eliminate the cable as the issue.
After some further fact finding, Marv declared the behavior to be in the headphone; and that was good enough for Alex and Sankar.

Sankar insisted on taking my un-veiled day-1 LCD3s for immediate warranty replacement.
He was willing to give me any of the several LCD-3s they'd brought to the show; but thought it may be preferable to provide a pristine pair.

A brand new set of LCD-3s showed up on my doorstep within 30 hours (note that my locale is SoCal...YMMV).
I actually like the wood on the replacment cans better than the originals, the Zebra Wood is darker with a tighter grain.

Alex confirmed that one of the adjustments made to the newer LCD-3s involved tension of the driver.
This was perhaps confirmed by the fact that the replacement LCD-3s were initially a bit bass-light compared to the originals (tightness of new drivers?)

After roughly 96 hours of burn-in, the new phones have improved significantly in bass extension and authority - easily equalling my original LCD-3s.
In some ways, these are better than the originals - the bass is now better controlled (not as much bloom in the mid-bass and the lowest reaches display better impact).
The treble were more present (see attached FR graphs) and the mids less recessed straight out of the box.

I'm mildly hesitant to offer these observations...
because when A-B ing at the show (on the several different sets of upstream hardware) I found there to be no audible difference bewtween my original LCD-3s and several pairs of new LCD-3s.

So why do I hear a difference now?  Good question.
Meets present very sub-optimal conditions for critical listening, so maybe the differences were there and I just didn't hear them.
Plus, we often hear what we want to hear; but my brain now believes that these new LCD-3s are better than the originals - given some mild burn-in.

Thanks to purrin (Marv) for troubleshooting.
And thanks to the guys and gals at Audeze who were unflinching in their efforts to assure complete customer satisfaction.

Old and new FR grahps for comparo.

T.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,460 of 11,521

Quote:
Does anyone know if it will have USB b in? And if there are any digital iPod USB b out cables available?

Lol, it's not even portable.

It only has USB in.  It must also draw power from USB meaning you can't use any iDevice w/ it.  The DAC can't power itself from the O2 amp section.  Sounding even less portable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back