New Audeze LCD3
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #4,891 of 11,521
Quote:
Is there any agreement about in what way the LCD-3 rev.2 (new/RMA'ed) differs from the rev.1 (first batches)

This is my impression:
1) Felt replaced with foam
2) Suction effect gone - due to what?? New pads? Venting holes??

Its probably all in the drivers.  I'd guess inconsistent substrate for the flexible PCB etching that creates the traces.  I don't think there's any good way to figure it out without some sort of listening comparison or measurement.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #4,893 of 11,521
Radio_Head, what exactly was your request to Audeze?  You wanted a new pair of LCD-3 earpads?  

FWIW, the earpads on the RMA'd pair I received were far less firm than my original pair, but this has actually been much more comfortable for me without any noticeable loss in sound quality.  They seem pretty similar to the rev. 2 LCD-2 earpads.

And how are people sure that the RMA'd pairs have new drivers, rather than just new driver covers and earpads?

On the advice of purrin and others, I picked up a new PS Audio Perfect Wavelength DAC (MK1).  It seems to be providing subtle but significant improvements over my Lavry DA-10 in instrument separation, soundstage, and overall musicality.  I just wasn't expecting the thing to be so massive...going to be hard for my wife not to notice a new massive black box.

So now I'm thinking about what amps in the ~$2000 range would provide a noticeable improvement over my V200.  purrin suggested the EC Super 7, are there any other good options I should consider?  A relatively compact amp would be preferable.

I also plan to have the amp shipped overseas, do tube amps tend to survive rough handling and long distance shipping?  The shielded design of the Liquid Fire is one of the many reasons I'm considering it, but the limited stock and high price are giving me reasons to hesitate.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4,894 of 11,521
You would remove the tubes and pack them separately in foam or some other packaging.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4,895 of 11,521
^.  Packed well tubes do fine, they are quite robust.  I've ordered tubes from Asia, Europe, UK, Canada with no issues.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4,896 of 11,521
You'd better decide quickly because I have a feeling those dealer stock LFs are gonna go quick. :D

I'm still interested in that PS Audio DAC but it's just out of the price range right now if I want to get my vinyl rig off the ground soon. 

Quote:
Radio_Head, what exactly was your request to Audeze?  You wanted a new pair of LCD-3 earpads?  

FWIW, the earpads on the RMA'd pair I received were far less firm than my original pair, but this has actually been much more comfortable for me without any noticeable loss in sound quality.  They seem pretty similar to the rev. 2 LCD-2 earpads.

And how are people sure that the RMA'd pairs have new drivers, rather than just new driver covers and earpads?

On the advice of purrin and others, I picked up a new PS Audio Perfect Wavelength DAC (MK1).  It seems to be providing subtle but significant improvements over my Lavry DA-10 in instrument separation, soundstage, and overall musicality.  I just wasn't expecting the thing to be so massive...going to be hard for my wife not to notice a new massive black box.

So now I'm thinking about what amps in the ~$2000 range would provide a noticeable improvement over my V200.  purrin suggested the EC Super 7, are there any other good options I should consider?  A relatively compact amp would be preferable.

I also plan to have the amp shipped overseas, do tube amps tend to survive rough handling and long distance shipping?  The shielded design of the Liquid Fire is one of the many reasons I'm considering it, but the limited stock and high price are giving me reasons to hesitate.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #4,897 of 11,521

I called and said "I saw on HF you may have new black pads for the LCD-3."  I then outlined my issues with my current pads and asked for either another "firmer, more consistent" brown LCD-3 set of pads or a black set if they did in fact have them.

I received a black pair of LCD-2 pads.  I assume that they do not have any black LCD-3 pads and the new CS rep went by color rather than headphone model.  This was the latest in a series of issues with the LCD-3.

The RMA'd pairs do not necessarily have the drivers replaced.  (I would guess that other than the DOA pairs, they do not actually replace the drivers.)

If you are interested in an MKII kit, I know a dealer currently selling them 30% off.

The best I've heard the LCD-3 under 2K was out of a B22.  The best I've heard them period was from the Balancing Act - haven't heard the Super 7 but Craig does excellent builds.

I only had a week with both the LCD-3 and the LF,  but it was a great pairing.  I had longer with the LF and LCD-2 and I actually preferred that combo.  I'm sure Alex packs it well and insures it for any possible damage.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #4,898 of 11,521

I got my RMA'd LCD-3 from Audeze (it took less than 2 weeks including shipping from Europe) and I can confirm this time they are no longer veiled as my 1st and 2nd pair were. I let them burn-in a few hours (they sounded a little too dark out of the box) and now the bass is much tighter and doesn't bleed on the mids as it used to. The treble is also more transparent, with more air and extension. Yes, it looks like Audeze finally found out what the problem was and how to fix it.

The new chart included is very similar to the one HK_sends showed, with the flat line extended from 1K to 2K. I suppose they changed the drivers in addition to the damping material, as even with the TP mod there was no way to make my "old" LCD-3 that fast and transparent.

Suction effet, unfortunately, is still there
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #4,899 of 11,521

You should read up on the Fostex T50RP modding. Dampening is especially crucial with orthos and do make various T50RP very different headphones. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suppose they changed the drivers in addition to the damping material, as even with the TP mod there was no way to make my "old" LCD-3 that fast and transparent.

Suction effet, unfortunately, is still there
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4,900 of 11,521

Quote:
You should read up on the Fostex T50RP modding. Dampening is especially crucial with orthos and do make various T50RP very different headphones. 

Of course: I have LFF's Paradox to attest
biggrin.gif
. It's just my feeling and Purrin's experience with the TP mod that attests that dampening of the outside of LCD-3's driver could not "cure" the severe bass in the veiled pair. If the cure was done with just dampening, then it's in the inside, as the only change on the outside was the switch from the thin felt to a thicker foam that is almost sonically transparent (I tested). Apparently, Audeze had no way to know many pairs were veiled before customers started to complain (they brought a veiled pair at a meet according to some!), which seems more consistent with driver problems that dampening as a change from original design would be more noticeable, but that's just my hunch. I see the apparent mod more as a refinement (they followed Purrin's tests and I suppose I was not alone to report the improvement the TP like mods added on veiled pairs) than the core of the "cure" but I might be completely wrong
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #4,902 of 11,521

Quote:

Yes, but I agree with French Chemist.  I don't see the damping changes they made having the effect that Purrin describes.  They went to lighter damping in the new version, they didn't add it, and Purrin's new pair has less bass, more upper midrange and is faster, more transparent, bigger soundstage, cleaner treble.  That doesn't add up.  You'd have to add more/denser damping to achieve that kind of effect, but even then it would have to be a substantial change and it would likely have side effects of closing off the sound. 

I think, as Gurubhai and Purrin have guessed elsewhere, that the unveiled pairs have more diaphragm tension, which means it is moving faster with less range of motion, making them sound more transparent, faster, with less but tighter bass.  And with this additional tension there is less need for damping to force the driver to move and function properly.  So they removed the outer layer of felt and replaced it with light foam for resonance control and to cover the holes in the grill. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4,903 of 11,521
Hi Guys, havent read this thread for a while.

Whats this about a rev 2 LCD-3?
Ive had mines replaced because of driver failure, this was in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back