New Audeze LCD3
Mar 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #4,711 of 11,521

Quote:
I really liked the Stax o2 but kept feeling the mids were somewhat retracted (srm-007 driver) to my taste. Exceptional resolution, but not my instan favorite in sound-sig. Probably people get used to it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the LCD-3 so far! Can't wait to get mine back from RMA-land.

FWIW, I think retracted mids are more due to the SRM-007 than the SR-007. My understanding is Stax's tube amps aren't really a good match for the SR-007. The mids don't sound at all retracted on mine out of the KGSS.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #4,712 of 11,521
You might be totally right on that. I've heard some of the Stax SS-drivers also and felt SR-007 was the better one.

Looking foreward to a O2/LCD-3 comparison :) But I'm not happy about you revitalizing my interest in the O2..... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad to hear you're enjoying the LCD-3 so far! Can't wait to get mine back from RMA-land.

FWIW, I think retracted mids are more due to the SRM-007 than the SR-007. My understanding is Stax's tube amps aren't really a good match for the SR-007. The mids don't sound at all retracted on mine out of the KGSS.

Talking about Stax, to those of you who think the LCD's rare huge, take a look at these:

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #4,713 of 11,521

Quote:
Yup, I got my LCD-3s on the 31st of December last year (Best New Years Present) and only sent them for RMA about 3 weeks ago (so about 2.5 months after I bought them). Audez'e were absolutely nice and polite, saying that it was fine to just send them in for a routine check to see if they are performing up to spec. They paid for shipping both ways and replaced my rusty screws with a set of new ones as well as providing me with a full set of extra screws all for no charge. I have to say that I am extremely satisfied with their level of after sales support and service and find it worthy of a $2000 flagship product.

That was my experience with my first LCD-3 pair (pre-order in early November) which sounded awfully veiled: they immediately sent an RMA and paid all expenses (except for the taxes the customs imposed on me despite this being a return and not a sale). But my second pair pair is also veiled, though to a lesser extent (I guess like Purrin's pair). So I reported my findings directly to Alex via e-mail and never received any answer to my 2 messages. After 2 months, I eventually filed a formal query under their customers service in their website and almost immediately received an RMA. But this time, no offer to pay for the shipping! And shipping via Fedex, even with the least expensive options is still about $200 (I live in Europe)! Nonetheless, I bit the bullet and by now they have my pair.
Maybe in 2 weeks I will be at long last very happy with an unveiled, fast, transparent, and detailed pair.
But If Audeze doesn't accept to reimburse my shipping cost to return them the (defective, IMOHO) unit, I don't think this would qualify as great customer service and it will leave a very unpleasant taste in my mouth...

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #4,714 of 11,521
Quote:
I think Audez'e should offer less costly shipping. I emailed them about USPS-ing some earpads.

If you want to pay less for shpiing, just send them an email. They will calculate your sipping manually. If they get enough emails they will hopefully put cheap shipping as a standard option (like 99% of other web-stores..)

Quote:
ermm,u can tell them to ship it via USPS.i told them so and i paid $50 for shippment of my lcd2 and i live much farther than europe. never ever let them ship it via ups.they will eat you up with clearance
charges not to mention the ridiculous shipping costs.

That's cool!
Thanks for letting me know.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4,715 of 11,521

Quote:
Anyway, the last time I had such a instant goose-bump audio experience I was listening to a USD150.000 speaker rig. 

Haha, I'm assuming that it was supposed to be USD 150,000 not USD 150.000 right? Anyway, I do absolutely agree. In my recent audio experience (last 6 months), the four audio setups that have really blown me away have been two speakers rigs, one with Oceanway HR1 speakers, the other with the Focal Stella Utopias, the Stax 009 driven from a WES and the returned from RMA'd LCD-3s from the Cavalli Liquid Fire or the Littledot Mk6+. The two speaker rigs are both six digit setups with the Oceanway one running close to a million I believe. However, the rather more humble headphone setups (neither ran above 30000 including source) were in some ways more impressive in that they just captured me in the flwo of the music more. The speaker rigs did do classical and live performance better though as well as offered much better bass "feel" but the two headphone rigs both with great source components were absolutely outstanding.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #4,716 of 11,521

Quote:
Haha, I'm assuming that it was supposed to be USD 150,000 not USD 150.000 right?

In European numeric systems the decimal ".", represents what we use for a coma ",", and vice versa.

1,50 = 1.50
150.000 = 150,000

It's not a typo, just a difference in syntax.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4,717 of 11,521

Quote:

In European numeric systems the decimal ".", represents what we use for a coma ",", and vice versa.

1,50 = 1.50
150.000 = 150,000

It's not a typo, just a difference in syntax.

Haha, cool, didnt know that. Head-fi is really educational in fact, learnt lots of stuff (mainly about electrical engineering) that I didn't know previously.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4,718 of 11,521
Quote:
That's how I feel too.  Imaging is important, but I could give a hoot about soundstage.  It's a fun gimmick IMO and isn't necessary to maintain the purity and fidelity of the music. 

What's your definition of soundstage exactly?  The way I define it, soundstage is the space within which sounds can be imaged.  I agree that imaging & separation are more important, but soundstage, within my definition at least, goes hand in hand with it.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #4,719 of 11,521
I can't read the whole thread again. I read most of it in November when I was picking which LCD to buy and have tried to keep up with it so I can only go my crappy memory.

I know of the first cherry picked pairs that some got (Four of them? Was it you, purrin? I don't remember.). When I said "initial", I was more referring to the fact that this headphone has only been on sale for five months and is still new. That was wrong word, sorry. "Early", perhaps? Whatever the first five months means lol. If you say January I believe you but that's only three months in and is early. I meant Audeze became aware in the months after release about the issues, either veil or driver, and are helping their customers out but, according to the email, their standard is not to pay S&H so I think that's why they're doing it, to help with their boo-boo. They say a small percentage referring to ALL pairs sold from them and their dealers, but it seems so much bigger on this forum because of all the veil-talk amongst members and people claiming theirs is.

I know LFF did not like his pair back in November. Were they veiled? 

Just to clarify some timelines, the LCD-3s were introduced at RMAF in October. There were I believe four pairs there. Jude got one of them. Then a few weeks later Rob (Skylab) got a production review pair (and still has them to this day). I got mine on their release day of 11-11-11. Highly doubtful that Rob and I got 2 of the three remaining pairs from RMAF as we PAID FOR BRAND NEW HEADPHONES several weeks after their introduction. :)

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #4,720 of 11,521
Just to clarify some timelines, the LCD-3s were introduced at RMAF in October. There were I believe four pairs there. Jude got one of them. Then a few weeks later Rob (Skylab) got a production review pair (and still has them to this day). I got mine on their release day of 11-11-11. Highly doubtful that Rob and I got 2 of the three remaining pairs from RMAF as we PAID FOR BRAND NEW HEADPHONES several weeks after their introduction. :)

That does not mean you did not get a cherry picked pair though! You are a rather staunch support of Audeze and vocal with it. Don't get me wrong, I love this brand and love my Rev1's but knowing your input into the forum it would not surprise me Audeze knowing that sent you an extra checked over pair without you knowing it.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #4,721 of 11,521

Quote:
Btw, was just poking around the Audez'e website to check for news on their reality-1 speakers when i saw that the LCD-3s are back in stock sotime to get them for anyone who was holding out as i'm sure that these would be from their new "fixed" batch.
http://audeze.com/audeze-lcd-3

I just pulled the trigger! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4,722 of 11,521

Quote:
That does not mean you did not get a cherry picked pair though! You are a rather staunch support of Audeze and vocal with it. Don't get me wrong, I love this brand and love my Rev1's but knowing your input into the forum it would not surprise me Audeze knowing that sent you an extra checked over pair without you knowing it.

Honestly, I think you're giving me too much credit.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #4,723 of 11,521

Quote:

Just so you know, Audeze came to our local meet right after RMAF w/ two LCD3s in tow.  Both were veiled.  If they could cherry pick them I would have thought they'd be wise enough to do so then.  I don't recall anyone at that meet impressed w/ the LCD3.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #4,724 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

What's your definition of soundstage exactly?  The way I define it, soundstage is the space within which sounds can be imaged.  I agree that imaging & separation are more important, but soundstage, within my definition at least, goes hand in hand with it.

I define soundstage as simply the distance of the sound from your ears.  The size of the space the headphones create.  I think what Anaxilus said about bad or blurred soundstage is what I consider imaging.  Which I would define as a headphone's ability to place sounds/instruments in a distinct place around you, regardless of perceived distance from you.  And then seperation is along the same lines- being able to keep those instruments separated from each other so they don't mesh or blur together.  So as long as a headphone has good imaging and seperation, it can have small soundstage and sound great IMO.  Orthos tend to have small soundstage but excellent imaging/separation.  At least the good ones, when they are decently housed/damped.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #4,725 of 11,521

Quote:
Just so you know, Audeze came to our local meet right after RMAF w/ two LCD3s in tow.  Both were veiled.  If they could cherry pick them I would have thought they'd be wise enough to do so then.  I don't recall anyone at that meet impressed w/ the LCD3.

Yeah also, if they were giving people cherry picked ones they surely would have sent Purrin something super special knowing what he would do to the poor thing. 
frown.gif

If they took veiled pairs to a meet, they must not have realized there was an issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back