New Audeze LCD3
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #4,441 of 11,521
linnenberg udac1/spa1 would be a nice upgrade for your system, within your budget. That is if you only need USB function.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #4,442 of 11,521

How about some source and amp recommendations...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Given your budget:

• $1800 PS Audio PerfectWave mk1 (used) - Upgrade to mk2 at a later time (World Class DAC that will beat or equal $20K Esoterics, Wadias, etc.)
  • $1800 Eddie Current Super 7 - Second run will have improvements such as the new C-core transformers (which I've heard) and take more types of tubes. Lowest output Z of EC amps should gel well with the LCD3. Would be crazy not to get this at $1800. Only problem is that you will have to wait many months for the second run.

Alternatively, consider the following:

• W4C or Weiss ESS DACs. Your method of source/transport will play a large part in your choice.
  • Used Buffalo DAC.
  • Cavalli Liquid Fire. Again, low Z output stage good for LCD3
  • Apex Arete with Volcano power supply. I don't care for the Peak anymore (I owned one.) After more auditions, I liked the Arete better than the Peak no matter what tubes were in it.
  • If you really want something slightly more tooby, WA22 with power tube upgrades.

The RWA is just a marketing thing with Audeze. (I could be mistaken, but I don't think Ken Ball, Alex, and Vinnie had a triple mind-meld to voice the thing specifically for the LCD3). While I really like the RWA's tone, dynamics, and punch - at least with the battery full charged. If not, it sometimes goes "blub blub blub" on the bass with the LCD#s. Battery power is not the answer in a home setup.

In terms of resolving power the LCD3 deserves better - much better. BTW, it's impossible to unload the RWA amps at a reasonable loss. One guy I know has been trying to sell his for several months now. In contrast, the guys would got in on the initial batch of the Super 7s can unload them more for than they paid. I personally would willing grab a used Super 7 for $1600 right now.

We are of course assuming an "un-veiled" LCD3 here.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #4,443 of 11,521

Quote:

Given your budget:

• $1800 PS Audio PerfectWave mk1 (used) - Upgrade to mk2 at a later time (World Class DAC that will beat or equal $20K Esoterics, Wadias, etc.

Purrin, I hope I'm not asking too much but have you by any chance heard the Resolution Audio Cantata Music Centre? It's a DAC (with Burr Brown PCM1904 DAC chips) which takes a variety of digital inputs and has a CD player.

It retails for around $5000 but people have commented it compares well to $20K Esoteric DAC's, etc. I was pretty set on getting one and pairing it with the Liquid Fire and LCD-3's but if the PS Audio PerfectWave mk1 is as good as you say it is you just might have saved me $3000.
o2smile.gif

This question is also extended to anyone with experience with either DACs.

Thanks in advance.
L3000.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #4,444 of 11,521

Quote:
Purrin, I hope I'm not asking too much but have you by any chance heard the Resolution Audio Cantata Music Centre? It's a DAC (with Burr Brown PCM1904 DAC chips) which takes a variety of digital inputs and has a CD player.

It retails for around $5000 but people have commented it compares well to $20K Esoteric DAC's, etc. I was pretty set on getting one and pairing it with the Liquid Fire and LCD-3's but if the PS Audio PerfectWave mk1 is as good as you say it is you just might have saved me $3000.
o2smile.gif

Thanks in advance.
L3000.gif

Replied to in another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/492556/perfect-wave-dac-owner-unite/525#post_8231727

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #4,446 of 11,521

Quote:

o2smile.gif

Thanks in advance.
L3000.gif

I have the PWD MkI and updated it to MkII about 2 months ago. The difference that NativeX gives is significant. I used to have a Genesis Time Lens in front of the PWD and they sounded really good. Now at the MkII level I don't need the Genesis Time Lens and the sound is as good or better as my Wadia 27. I definitely think going the used PWD MkI + MkII upgrade kit is the way to go for the money.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #4,447 of 11,521
Hi, I've been reading a lot about LCD headphones and I am very interested in them. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to audition them anywhere in my country yet.
Please tell me to which other well-known headphones (but not orthodynamics nor electrostatics) LCD2 or LCD3 are similar to.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #4,448 of 11,521
Hi, I've been reading a lot about LCD headphones and I am very interested in them. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to audition them anywhere in my country yet.
Please tell me to which other well-known headphones (but not orthodynamics nor electrostatics) LCD2 or LCD3 are similar to.

I am sure others will say differently but to my ears the Beyer Dynamic T1 had a similar sonic to them when I tried them where as the Hifiman was very different as was the HD800.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #4,449 of 11,521
The Beyer T1's have never sounded remotely like the LCD's on any system I have heard then on. Sound closer to HE-6 to me.

Strange how we all hear differently
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4,450 of 11,521

Quote:
I am sure others will say differently but to my ears the Beyer Dynamic T1 had a similar sonic to them when I tried them

blink.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4,451 of 11,521
X2  I owned both and the T-1's were no where near the same.

Quote:
The Beyer T1's have never sounded remotely like the LCD's on any system I have heard then on. Sound closer to HE-6 to me.

blink.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,452 of 11,521

Quote:

It depends upon what day of the week those T1s were made. Anything is possible from Beyer.

The headphone that sounds most similar... maybe the HD650, at least in terms of tonal balance. The LCD3 ("unveiled" version) really has a sound of its own and can't be compared to any other. In terms of speed, articulation, and clarity - better than HD800. In terms of bass, nothing quite like it. Capable of high bass volume without distortion. It's a league above another else out there in terms of bass.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #4,453 of 11,521

Quote:

It depends upon what day of the week those T1s were made. Anything is possible from Beyer.

The headphone that sounds most similar... maybe the HD650, at least in terms of tonal balance. The LCD3 ("unveiled" version) really has a sound of its own and can't be compared to any other. In terms of speed, articulation, and clarity - better than HD800. In terms of bass, nothing quite like it. Capable of high bass volume without distortion. It's a league above another else out there in terms of bass.

Wait, the clarity on the LCD-3 is better than the HD800? Didn't see that coming, I didn't know that it was that drastic of a change. Then again, I've only heard the Audez'e LCD-2 vs. the HD800 and not the LCD-3, so I guess I wouldn't know what Audez'e has been pulling out their sleeve.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #4,454 of 11,521

Quote:

blink.gif

Quote:
I am sure others will say differently but to my ears the Beyer Dynamic T1 had a similar sonic to them when I tried them where as the Hifiman was very different as was the HD800.

Since I currently own both the T1 and the HE-6, IMO there is nothing in common between the HE-6 and T1. Cannot say too much about the LCDs (as I don't own one) too much except that at the Vancouver meet the T1 was closer to the romantic sound put out by the LCD2 than the transparent and more neutral sound of the HE-6. And the pure treble on the HE-6 cannot be even closely emulated by (the LCDs or) the T1 where the treble is rolled off precipitously. Similarly,  the elevated mid bass and the mid range in both the T1 and LCD2 makes it sound closer to each other than the HE-6.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4,455 of 11,521
Nice input Gurus, I have been thinking about if the T1 was more articulate in the top, than the HE-6 I own. Of course I should hear for myself, but it puts me in some sort of direction. Love to hear the LCD3 as well, but here in Europe we pay a totally crazy price, like 2650 $. So it´s out of my reach 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back