New Audeze LCD3
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #4,427 of 11,521
Are there specific recommendations on placement of the LCD 2/3 on the head?  I just picked up a second hand pair and I find I can have them LOW or HIGH on my ears as well as FORE and AFT with quite a bit of movement.

Is there a general guideline of the best place for them?

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4,428 of 11,521

Quote:
Are there specific recommendations on placement of the LCD 2/3 on the head?  I just picked up a second hand pair and I find I can have them LOW or HIGH on my ears as well as FORE and AFT with quite a bit of movement.

Is there a general guideline of the best place for them?

I find they sound the same as long as the pads are around the ears.

On a comfort level, the more you extend the rod connecting the drivers to the headband, the less clamping force there is, but there's more weight distributed among the headband. The less extended the rod is, more clamping force but less weight on top.

Just find a comfortable position and rock out.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4,429 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

I should specify...by "those of you" I mostly mean Rhythmdevils, Purrin, and Anax.  Do you feel like it's gone on the LCD-3?

Having owned all three headphones (LCD-2 r.1, LCD-2 r.2 and the LCD-3), I can definitely attest to a ringing on the LCD-2 r.1s. That was improved upon by the LCD-2 r.2s and then again by the LCD-3s (to the point where I can't particularly hear it on my LCD-3).

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4,430 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

I should specify...by "those of you" I mostly mean Rhythmdevils, Purrin, and Anax.  Do you feel like it's gone on the LCD-3?

I haven't heard a "good" pair.  But I would say that the LCD-3 I heard has something like 7% (I know, I'm frickin exact) of the reverb sound I heard in the LCD-2rev1 pair that I owned (and which sounded more or less the same as other pairs, compared at a meet).  It's not likely to be heard or bothersome to anyone.  I mostly heard it as a slight kind of nauseating  glare in the midrange that was more noticeable when you turn the volume up (I think because this tricks your ear away from getting accustomed to it). 

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to because we're not sure what exactly causes it.  I wouldn't call it fatiguing in any way.  More just annoying.  If you hear it.  Again, not really something to worry about in the LCD-3 no matter what version you get.  I seem to be very sensitive to this (and not as sensitive to other things).

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4,431 of 11,521
Quote:
Having owned all three headphones (LCD-2 r.1, LCD-2 r.2 and the LCD-3), I can definitely attest to a ringing on the LCD-2 r.1s. That was improved upon by the LCD-2 r.2s and then again by the LCD-3s (to the point where I can't particularly hear it on my LCD-3).

Quote:
I haven't heard a "good" pair.  But I would say that the LCD-3 I heard has something like 7% (I know, I'm frickin exact) of the reverb sound I heard in the LCD-2rev1 pair that I owned (and which sounded more or less the same as other pairs, compared at a meet).  It's not likely to be heard or bothersome to anyone.  I mostly heard it as a slight kind of nauseating  glare in the midrange that was more noticeable when you turn the volume up (I think because this tricks your ear away from getting accustomed to it). 

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to because we're not sure what exactly causes it.  I wouldn't call it fatiguing in any way.  More just annoying.  If you hear it.  Again, not really something to worry about in the LCD-3 no matter what version you get.  I seem to be very sensitive to this (and not as sensitive to other things).

Having had my R.2's for 3 months now, I've grown pretty sensitive to it.  I can pick it up exactly.  And it does exasperate as a midrange "glare" the more you push the pot.

It honestly did not bother me till I picked up the HE-500 and HD-800 about two weeks ago on loan.  Those HPs have their own issues, but ringing isn't one of them.  Now it's getting harder to ignore.  

I'm just wondering what kind of improvements I might get if I move up to the LCD-3, sonically I rather prefer the LCD-2 sound to the HE-500 and HD800, but I'll move away to be fatigue free.

And unfortunately it is more than just annoying to me, it's actually fatiguing.  (For whatever reason)

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4,432 of 11,521
Well I don't call it fatiguing because it doesn't cause pain.  It's not that kind of ringing or FR peak like you have in something like a Denon or Grado.  It's more subtle. 

It sounds like you might be sensitive enough to it to be bothered by the LCD-3 as well.  Unless the good pairs don't have any.  And unless you get a good pair.  And unless...
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,433 of 11,521
For me: LCD2 Rev1: "Ringing" was very bad, basically intolerable. I wondered how few people mentioned this, in the forums or professional reviews. Sold them.
            LCD2  Rev2 (2 different pairs, long story, still have both of them): Ringing gone about 90%, but varies with the CD. On most SACDs, ringing was gone about 95%. Liked them enough to make them my main phones before the LCD3s were introduced.
            LCD3s : Ringing even less, almost vanishing, and somehow seems to occur when it does at a higher frequency, so they can sound "bright" in the lower treble, but I deal with this
                         very effectively by using a notoriously warm power cord that was designed to target digital glare, a Shunyata Anaconda VX, along with a "matching" Anaconda Alpha on my Pinnacle amp,
                         along with a Brimar 6NS7 tube that Tube Depot recommended. This just about completely cures things, but on some CDs there is an annoying trace. But I can deal with it, nothing is perfect, and the LCD3s are so non-fatiguing and natural 
                         where I can't stop listening that I continue to work on tweaks, including power conditioning.

The ringing can sound like a tuning fork's high pitch tone riding on the top of a vocal at a lower volume level than the main sound, kind of an 'ooooooooooooooooo' sound with a hint of vibration.

I keep thinking that this ringing is the Audeze picking up and illuminating digital glare somehow, because SACDs, which to me are the answer to digititus, with glare eliminated, sound soooooo nice on the LCD3s and Rev2s.
                         I still have not experienced any veiling I think, unless I compare them to, say HD800s or maybe Grados, which can be just plain piercing or screaming in the wrong setup.

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse things more. 
                        So the bottom line is, yeah the Audezes have some flaws, but when you target the flaws with upstream changes, they are the best things out there (maybe Stax 009s are better, or bass heavy R10s, or HE90s, but I have not heard these
                        except for the HE90s long ago; I owned bass light R10s, which were bright, and I like the LCD3s and 2s much better).

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4,434 of 11,521

Quote:
For me: LCD2 Rev1: "Ringing" was very bad, basically intolerable. I wondered how few people mentioned this, in the forums or professional reviews. Sold them.
            LCD2  Rev2 (2 different pairs, long story, still have both of them): Ringing gone about 90%, but varies with the CD. On most SACDs, ringing was gone about 95%. Liked them enough to make them my main phones before the LCD3s were introduced.
            LCD3s : Ringing even less, almost vanishing, and somehow seems to occur when it does at a higher frequency, so they can sound "bright" in the lower treble, but I deal with this

That pretty much sums it (and I've got measurements to prove it too). Although each LCD3 I've gotten my hands on (heard/measured four pairs so far) have been different in resonance characteristics.

Quote:
I'm just wondering what kind of improvements I might get if I move up to the LCD-3, sonically I rather prefer the LCD-2 sound to the HE-500 and HD800, but I'll move away to be fatigue free.

Agree that the HE-500 and HD800 are much freer from ringing (again measurements show this), but the HD800 can be awfully bright. Neither produce bass as loud and distortion free as the LCD3. Then again, no other headphone does. If you already prefer the LCD2, a veil-free LCD3 could be your ticket.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #4,435 of 11,521
Wow. Have not looked at this thread is ages as I have not even thought about the 3's since upgrading my cable on my Rev1 transition models and have been more than happy with the sound.

I waded through the thread though and saw Audeze's comments about the failures and how they are down to a bad batch of driver material. I thought I was having deja vu as this was almost word for word what was told us REV 1 owners last year when our drivers failed. Had no issues with replacements for my original failed Rev1's and my replacements were the heavily QC'd and pair matched ones that came out just before the Rev2's and touch wood have performed faultlessly ever since.

I do remember at the time Audeze lording that they had sorted the problem out by sourcing better materials and that their QC procedure would eliminate future problems.. Seems they let there QC slip! Don't get me wrong, I love my phones and I have always been treated well by Audeze, just saying I wonder if this thing will happen all over again when the Rev4's come out probably by september this year if past history is anything to go by.

Perhaps Audeze could learn from this and just keep the Rev3 in production for a couple of years and develop Rev4 and QC it over that period instead of every 9 months producing a new and improved model that inevitable fails or has issues and having us as the QC Guinea pigs. It is all very well backing the product up by stepping up to the plate and replacing or repairing but this is becoming habitual and it is time Audeze learned that one of their fundamental mistakes is releasing a product too soon on to the market place. Look how quick they went from getting their new designer to bringing out the 3's!

That way they could then ensure consistency of product and allow us purchasers not have our headphones tank in value because a new one comes out every few months!

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #4,437 of 11,521
How about some source and amp recommendations...

If I'm looking to upgrade from my Lavry DA-10 and Violectric V200, which are both decently well-regarded in their price range but may have room for improvement, what are my best options with a total budget of $3000-4000?  Should I:

1)  Upgrade my V200, which provides 2.7W into 32ohms but may not be driving the LCD-3 to its full potential in the way that an amp like the Liquid Fire in the $3000 range could, and keep my DAC;

2)  Upgrade to a better DAC and keep the amp for now...keeping in mind that I only listen to computer audio and need either USB or coax input; or

3)  Upgrade to a DAC/amp all-in-one combo, like the RWA Audeze Edition?

I'm leaning towards the Audeze Edition, mainly because I like the transportability, compact size, and fairly good reviews it's gotten so far.  It also has some nice design fingerprints on it (Vinnie from RWA, Ken Ball, Alex from Audeze).  But I don't know whether I could do better for the price.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #4,438 of 11,521
The RWA Audeze Edition was not impressive at all when I listened to it with LCD3s.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4,439 of 11,521
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4,440 of 11,521

Quote:

If I'm looking to upgrade from my Lavry DA-10 and Violectric V200, which are both decently well-regarded in their price range but may have room for improvement, what are my best options with a total budget of $3000-4000? 

I would wait and consider the mid tier Schiit amp and DAC coming.  Jason says his mid tier amp is gonna be really something special and he told me that knowing I had no interest.  Basically it would be the steal in the lineup.  I personally love my Super 7 at the pricepoint and will going for the Schiit Statement DAC.  Apex Peak might synergize well w/ the LCD3, purring might be able to chime in on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back