New Audeze LCD3
Mar 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4,231 of 11,521
After some months with the LCD3, I've come to the conclusion that they are simply true to the source and the music quality feeding it. 
I got a bunch of SACDs for my EMM player and the sound is just plain magnificent, to my ears overall better than the R10s I once owned (2 different pairs).
No veiling, no peakiness, firm/controlled/deep bass, realistic imaging, no fatigue, and I stay up too late because I want to keep listening (always the hallmark of a great component).

Now, to be fair, with some CDs or a bad cable or tube, there can be  glare or muddy bass, but with a lot of experimenting I feel that the Audezes are just really sensitive to these things,
and when they are fed as much quality as you can, they fully deliver, without any inherent flaws, like the prominent highs in HD800s.
Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4,232 of 11,521
So just got my replacement LCD3s less than 48 hours after shipping off my "veiled" pair at USPS. Holy crap - they are fine sounding! Now I finally get what people were saying at CanJam about these having 'stat speed and being comparable to the 007s.

Thanks to Audeze - Sankar and Alex - for taking care of this!

Quote:
I think it is more likely that the process which created the veiled LCD-3's was in some way faulty and that is what created the veil on certain units and not because of any pads or foam material.  The drivers that failed on some of the LCD-3's were probably more extreme samples of the faulty manufacturing process of the drivers.   

My replacement unit has the see-thru foam and squishy pads still.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4,233 of 11,521
The pair I owned briefly appeared to be a non-veiled model.

It was funny, owning the LCD-3 and getting that little taste of the electrostat sound is what made me finally make the jump to Stax after all of these years of holding out.

I did compare and contrast the LCD-3 to the SR-007BL for a few hours and if I could afford to keep both, I would have.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,235 of 11,521

Quote:
So just got my replacement LCD3s less than 48 hours after shipping off my "veiled" pair at USPS. Holy crap - they are fine sounding! Now I finally get what people were saying at CanJam about these having 'stat speed and being comparable to the 007s.

That's great news Purrin! Apart from the upper mids that are no longer veiled, is the bass also tighter and doesn't mask some of the lower mids as my pair does? Do you still feel the need to mod them to sound more neutral?
wink_face.gif
  Now that I have the Paradox I can finally send my veiled pair back to Audeze for them to fix it: I won't miss the LCD-3 too much
atsmile.gif
I can't wait to hear the clean sound of a good LCD-3 but with my luck it might take a while: this is already my second pair (first one was just plain awful) and I already have written to Alex twice in 2 months and have yet to receive any answer... Then they have to cross the Atlantic Ocean... twice.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,236 of 11,521
Quote:

I might have missed it somewhere but are you using your LCD-3 balanced or unbalanced on your PWD/BA setup? And the new one isn't TP-modded yet, right?

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #4,237 of 11,521

Quote:
So I guess the consensus is that the "veil" problem was real and did exist.  

It would be strange if it didn't, considering how many venerable head-fi'ers have reported it and shown measurement differences.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,238 of 11,521

Quote:

I might have missed it somewhere but are you using your LCD-3 balanced or unbalanced on your PWD/BA setup? And the new one isn't TP-modded yet, right?

Balanced/unmodded.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #4,239 of 11,521

Quote:

Wooh!, Gratz!.
Sounds promising, maybe they are starting to get things under control.
If no new veil complaints occurs, maybe I can finally place my order...
Should wait a month or two just to be more certain..

Quote:
So I guess the consensus is that the "veil" problem was real and did exist.  

Um, yeah?.
And I don't think we should conclude that it's fully gone just jet.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #4,240 of 11,521

Quote:

Well I was just wondering because it is amazing the river of shiit one has to swim upstream in and the grief one has to endure to report any findings in this forum.

Yup. I certainly felt I had to swim up a river of turd. Because of this, my written observations and measurements will be on another website (and no, it's not the one where you get hazed.) I will provide succinct answers to direct questions, but mostly I've been unsubscribed to this thread.

Quote:

That's great news Purrin! Apart from the upper mids that are no longer veiled, is the bass also tighter and doesn't mask some of the lower mids as my pair does? Do you still feel the need to mod them to sound more neutral?
wink_face.gif
  Now that I have the Paradox I can finally send my veiled pair back to Audeze for them to fix it: I won't miss the LCD-3 too much
atsmile.gif
I can't wait to hear the clean sound of a good LCD-3 but with my luck it might take a while: this is already my second pair (first one was just plain awful) and I already have written to Alex twice in 2 months and have yet to receive any answer... Then they have to cross the Atlantic Ocean... twice.

The bass is no longer in the way. It other words, it doesn't sound like a "subwoofer + am radio."
Quote:

Balanced. New pair requires no TP.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,241 of 11,521

Quote:
Wooh!, Gratz!.
Sounds promising, maybe they are starting to get things under control.
If no new veil complaints occurs, maybe I can finally place my order...
Should wait a month or two just to be more certain..

Um, yeah?.
And I don't think we should conclude that it's fully gone just jet.

We need 27 more samples to conclude that it's fixed. Anecdotal evidence from three Head-Fi'ers is not statistically sufficient. Sorry I couldn't resist. 
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4,242 of 11,521

Quote:

That's great news. Maybe I should put these back on my future purchase list. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4,243 of 11,521

Thanks Purrin. "No longer sounds like a sub" is exactly what I was expecting the bass to be in the first place. Wonder how LFF will appreciate them now that they're fixed...
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Yup. I certainly felt I had to swim up a river of turd. Because of this, my written observations and measurements will be on another website (and no, it's not the one where you get hazed.) I will provide succinct answers to direct questions, but mostly I've been unsubscribed to this thread.

The bass is no longer in the way. It other words, it doesn't sound like a "subwoofer + am radio."

Balanced. New pair requires no TP.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,244 of 11,521

Quote:

Hi purrin!

I´m new here, but a long time headphones lover. I have a question: How could you tell your LCD-3 was "veiled"?

I just received my pair yesterday and I´m beginning to think that my pair is one of the unlucky "veiled" ones. The LCD-3 sounds bit like a downgrade from my LCD-2 rev1s. Basically they sound the same, but the LCD-3 sounds darker and muddier and the LCD-2 brighter and clearer. Here´s my first impressions in more detail:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600121/just-got-my-lcd-3-and-the-first-impression

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4,245 of 11,521

Quote:
The LCD-3 sounds bit like a downgrade from my LCD-2 rev1s. Basically they sound the same, but the LCD-3 sounds darker and muddier and the LCD-2 brighter and clearer. 

Bingo.  If your LCD3 sounds less capable than any previous LCD2 model that's a good indicator IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back