New Audeze LCD3
Mar 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4,201 of 11,521

Quote:
I've experimented with no foam at all versus the regular foam on the D7000. I was shocked to hear no difference. I know it's dynamic phones, but just sayin...

Who knows, maybe it doesn't (which would be atypical).  Perhaps we're all chasing our tails here.  I'll bring some foam over to purrins to hear for myself, maybe we can grab some measures too.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,202 of 11,521
The foam used in the HD600/650 makes a significant difference (and makes a significant difference when placed in front of ortho drivers as well) and I thought the LCD-3 foam was thicker and denser than that stuff. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #4,203 of 11,521
I think it is more likely that the process which created the veiled LCD-3's was in some way faulty and that is what created the veil on certain units and not because of any pads or foam material.  The drivers that failed on some of the LCD-3's were probably more extreme samples of the faulty manufacturing process of the drivers.   

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4,204 of 11,521
Now I'm really confused
blink.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4,206 of 11,521
There's no winky-face after your question, so I will attempt to answer it...

Because of all the inconsistencies. Maybe Audeze should expand the LCD-3 ordering options:

"I'll take a non-veiled unit, with medium-firm pads, a solid-looking yet acoustically transparent foam inner driver cover, and double-ply toilet paper-like outer driver damping."

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,207 of 11,521
Quote:

Because of all the inconsistencies. Maybe Audeze should expand the LCD-3 ordering options:

"I'll take a non-veiled unit, with medium-firm pads, a solid-looking yet acoustically transparent foam inner driver cover, and double-ply toilet paper-like outer driver damping."

Don't forget to specify whether you'd like the ringing at ~4kHz or not!

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,208 of 11,521

Quote:
Day 8 with my repaired LCD-3, and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I've been a little circumspect in my posting about these LCD-3 due to an abundance of caution -- I gushed all over the LCD-3 the first time around, only to get frustrated after a few weeks and send them in for repairs. Nevertheless, I'm about ready to declare these truly "fixed" and well worth the cost.

Tonight, I've gone back to the recording that was the last straw that made me send my LCD-3 back to Audez'e. It's the Egarr/Academy of Ancient Music version of Brandenburg Concertos on Harmonia Mundi. I know this to be a spectacular version of one of some of my favorite classical passages, and I was incredibly disappointed with how the odd tonality of the "veiled" LCD-3s made the recording unlistenable. It's a completely different experience tonight. I still don't know that the LCD-3 would be my first choice for this recording -- the sparkle of my HE-6 or HD800 might win out -- but they're definitely in the conversation.

On a different note, I've changed out the Siemens CCa in my Liquid Fire for a quad of late 60s Amperex 7308s. The 7308s bring noticeably more treble energy to the table -- as well as a noticeable decrease in bass quantity. For the LCD-3, this is a nice option, but I find it less than ideal for the HE-6 and HD800.

Glad to hear that things got sorted out. I see that your W3000ANVs were a casualty as a result (like my HE-6s were).
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,209 of 11,521
The out comes seems pretty clear to me that the new released LCD3s are consistent. As for the old batch, as I said, my old LCD3 and Ethan's are not veiled at all, and both sound sweet.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4,210 of 11,521

Quote:

"That will be $2750 sir. We are after all a Boutique company."

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4,211 of 11,521

Quote:
"That will be $2750 sir. We are after all a Boutique company."

Haha, $700 for the changed driver covers and the additional toilet paper dampening sounds just about right to me :wink:

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #4,212 of 11,521
Who need toilet paper? Completely unnecessary for my LCD3 old or new

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #4,213 of 11,521
Well, I finally got off my butt and sent my LCD-3's back for them to take a look at.  I noted I had some issues with driver cut out and what I perceived to be a significant veil.  I received an e-mail almost immediately saying to send them back so they can replace the drivers.  Can't fault that kind of prompt service.  I'm very much looking forward to getting them back.  That bass is so addicting with electronic music.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #4,215 of 11,521
All of the reports about the LCD3 sonic problems seem to be about the veiled sound.
Does anyone find them peaky at all in the upper mids or highs? Or are there other sonic issues (not obvious malfunctions or physical defects) that anyone has noticed?
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back