New Audeze LCD3
Mar 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #4,217 of 11,521
One of the LCD-3's greatest strengths is the smooth upper mids/treble. Now that said, some of my brighter and not so great recordings (like some old Sabbath recordings) can come off a bit peaky. I don't blame the LCD-3s for showing me what my recording is giving it. I found that it was very much recording dependent. That said, the same recordings were also "peaky" with my LCD-2r2 (but not so much with the LCD-2r1s...very nice cans for poorer recordings).

EDIT: I also found the LCD-3 picker of amping too. While I loved the Lyr with the LCD-2 (either revision), the LCD-3s didn't match as well. I found that I had to work harder at my upstream gear (like I did with my HD800s).

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4,218 of 11,521
The peakiness was noticable throughout my music collection.  I thought it could have been music dependent as I started off going through some of my older opera collection.  Then tried an SACD of Kind of Blue, HDTracks 24/92 Waltz for Debby and Sam Cooke's Night Beat, And Michaelangeli playing Debussy's piano works.  The issues I had were consistent throughout my collection.  The top octave of the piano particularly bugged me.

Can't compare to the LCD2 Rev2 as I only have the Rev1. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #4,219 of 11,521

Quote:
One of the LCD-3's greatest strengths is the smooth upper mids/treble. Now that said, some of my brighter and not so great recordings (like some old Sabbath recordings) can come off a bit peaky. I don't blame the LCD-3s for showing me what my recording is giving it. I found that it was very much recording dependent. That said, the same recordings were also "peaky" with my LCD-2r2 (but not so much with the LCD-2r1s...very nice cans for poorer recordings).

Sabbath really depends on the mix you're listening to. Black Box for example is horrible and unlistenable. Treble-happy crap.

I'd like to know: How does the LCD-3 sound with older recordings like Elvis and the Beatles in Mono? As well as badly-mixed garage rock like Bad Religion and Pixies? Thanks.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #4,220 of 11,521

Quote:
Sabbath really depends on the mix you're listening to. Black Box for example is horrible and unlistenable. Treble-happy crap.

I'd like to know: How does the LCD-3 sound with older recordings like Elvis and the Beatles in Mono? As well as badly-mixed garage rock like Bad Religion and Pixies? Thanks.

For my Elvis/Jerry Lee Lewis/Buddy Holly, I tend to use my HF-2s. The LCD-3s aren't the greatest with them as they expose those recordings for what they are...pretty bad. I guess that's one advantage the LCD-2 had.

Sorry, while I do have The Beatles remasters, my wife got me the stereo box set.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4,223 of 11,521

Quote:
Glad to hear that things got sorted out. I see that your W3000ANVs were a casualty as a result (like my HE-6s were).
smile.gif

There may be more casualties to follow... like you, I'm having a hard time justifying owning both the LCD-3 and HE-6 now that my LCD-3 are where they should be. I think my RS-1 are in play as well...

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #4,224 of 11,521
If anyone is interested in fixing the "pad issue" I have LCD-2 pads I could agree on trading for LCD-3 pads. Many people have reported some tinnitus only after a couple of weeks with the 3's after coming from the 2's they had for much longer time. I'm willing to take my chances to obtain better comfort. 
I will pay for your shipping. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4,225 of 11,521

Quote:
All of the reports about the LCD3 sonic problems seem to be about the veiled sound.
Does anyone find them peaky at all in the upper mids or highs? Or are there other sonic issues (not obvious malfunctions or physical defects) that anyone has noticed?
Thank you.

The peakiness was noticable throughout my music collection.  I thought it could have been music dependent as I started off going through some of my older opera collection.  Then tried an SACD of Kind of Blue, HDTracks 24/92 Waltz for Debby and Sam Cooke's Night Beat, And Michaelangeli playing Debussy's piano works.  The issues I had were consistent throughout my collection.  The top octave of the piano particularly bugged me.

Can't compare to the LCD2 Rev2 as I only have the Rev1. 

One early production LCD3 I obtained for measurements had ringing at 4kHz: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580283/lcd3-measurements/150

That being said, the guys at Audeze seem to have responded and taken good care of their customers. They absolutely do realize it's a premium product that deserves premium service appropriate for the most demanding customers. I just sent my LCD3 in for "inspection" yesterday, and today I just received FedEx tracking information that they just shipped something out to me! It's quite possible they've figured out all the issues and are back on track. Or maybe they are sending me a box full of rocks! 
biggrin.gif

If there's an issue, don't hesitate to send it in. Alex and Sankar are taking this seriously.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #4,227 of 11,521
Did anyone happen to compare LCD 3 and HD800.  Does the soundstage of LCD 3 surpass the HD800's?

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #4,228 of 11,521
That's not possible. LCD3 has a sound stage size similar to T1 and HE6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back