New Audeze LCD3
Feb 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,678 of 11,521
Ok, so I think I finally understand Tyll's tentative conclusion that a steep drop between 3-4kHz is a good thing--it means that the dropoff in the 1-3kHz area occurs more gradually, resulting in more upper midrange energy.

I realize that the Audeze-supplied frequency graphs should be taken with a grain of salt, but for those of us without measuring equipment, it's all we have to go on.  My graph looks like most of the graphs posted here, i.e. it's fairly flat between 2-3kHz (and at about 84 dBSPL), whereas MacedonianHero's graph actually slopes upward in that region.  Currawong's replacement pair is flat in that region, but at about 4 dBSPL lower.  In the 3-4kHz range, my graph slopes very gradually downward--most of the downward slope on my graph occurs between 1-2kHz, and by 2kHz it's already down to about 84 dBSPL (which seems lower at that point than the "good midrange" pairs that Tyll measured).

What, if anything, can we make of this?  Does a steep drop between 1-2kHz necessarily mean that the midrange will sound excessively recessed?  I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with my pair unless I get someone to measure them...

BTW Currawong, the reason I asked what exactly Sankar told you is that your post about "the issue" being rectified was in response to someone who asked whether the veil issue had been taken care of.  So it seemed like Audeze had actually commented on that issue, not just the driver failures.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #3,679 of 11,521
Just curious, has anyone actually sent their LCD3s back to Audeze for examination of the "veil" issue? I've confirmed that my LCD3s are more veiled (deeper shelf) than two r2s and even two r1s.

Didn't we establish that the Audeze graphs are more for looks/packaging/marketing and can't be used to accurately compare headphones?  Purrin posted a pretty thorough examination of their graphs. 

Lack of peaks in the midrange-treble doesn't explain what I heard in the LCD-3, that was my favorite thing about them. 

The question with the supplied graphs is what exactly are they? They do they measure only the left channel? The right channel? Both channels averaged? Also how repeatable and consistent are those Audeze supplied measurements? I know my measurement rig is good based on repeated measurements of the same headphones months apart. But didn't someone say that Audeze intended for their measurements to be more of a "quick" check subject to wide variation in accuracy?

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #3,680 of 11,521

Quote:
My home Stax setup is around 26K now, the Esoteric K-01 itself costs around 16K (it was selling for around 20K anew  in US last time I heard). When my BHSE arrives, my SR009 setup will be around 30K including costs of cables. If I add another high end DAC it will be for my office not for the Realizer.

Sweet lord in heaven.  Does listening to a pair of Beats cause your skin to peel?

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #3,681 of 11,521

Quote:
Sweet lord in heaven.  Does listening to a pair of Beats cause your skin to peel?

No, that would Hanes in lieu of Dolce and Gabbana.  
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3,682 of 11,521

Quote:
Just curious, has anyone actually sent their LCD3s back to Audeze for examination of the "veil" issue? I've confirmed that my LCD3s are more veiled (deeper shelf) than two r2s and even two r1s.

Yup. Mine are with Audez'e as we speak... undergoing "testing and repair." No clue what the final resolution will be, but I've been advised that I'll have them back by the end of the month.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,683 of 11,521
Just an update to my post several pages back...

I originally sent my LCD-3 back to Audeze due to poor pad compression consistency. After three weeks elapsed, and I had not heard anything from Audeze, I attempted to contact them. I was finally able to speak with Alex, who told me my RMA had fallen through the cracks and that they would be shipping out in two days. The next day, I received a call from Steve, explaining the reason for the delay. Apparently all headphones sent back for any type of RMA are subject to a testing process, regardless of whether or not the RMA is due to technical failure or not. I was told that after my pads were replaced, one of my drivers failed while burning in on their test rig. Steve was very apologetic and informed me that my headphones would ship out the next day via Fed-Ex 2 day.

I received the package from Audeze today, expecting them to be the same pair of LCD-3 I sent back for pad replacement. Much to my surprise, I was sent a brand new pair of LCD-3 (including all accessories) in a travel case, just as I sent them back to Audeze. Also included were an additional wooden box and an Audeze t-shirt. My original LCD-3 came in a dark brown wooden box, with an in-laid Audeze logo under the lacquer, which I still have,. The new box is high-gloss black and does not have the Audeze logo, but is still quit nice.

While it took longer than I hoped, I am happy with the conclusion and am glad Audeze went above and beyond making sure I was satisfied.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #3,684 of 11,521

Quote:
Just an update to my post several pages back...

I originally sent my LCD-3 back to Audeze due to poor pad compression consistency. After three weeks elapsed, and I had not heard anything from Audeze, I attempted to contact them. I was finally able to speak with Alex, who told me my RMA had fallen through the cracks and that they would be shipping out in two days. The next day, I received a call from Steve, explaining the reason for the delay. Apparently all headphones sent back for any type of RMA are subject to a testing process, regardless of whether or not the RMA is due to technical failure or not. I was told that after my pads were replaced, one of my drivers failed while burning in on their test rig. Steve was very apologetic and informed me that my headphones would ship out the next day via Fed-Ex 2 day.

I received the package from Audeze today, expecting them to be the same pair of LCD-3 I sent back for pad replacement. Much to my surprise, I was sent a brand new pair of LCD-3 (including all accessories) in a travel case, just as I sent them back to Audeze. Also included were an additional wooden box and an Audeze t-shirt. My original LCD-3 came in a dark brown wooden box, with an in-laid Audeze logo under the lacquer, which I still have,. The new box is high-gloss black and does not have the Audeze logo, but is still quit nice.

While it took longer than I hoped, I am happy with the conclusion and am glad Audeze went above and beyond making sure I was satisfied.

Do you experience any difference in sound compared to your old pair?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3,686 of 11,521

Quote:

Do you experience any difference in sound compared to your old pair?

It has been nearly 4 weeks since I heard my old pair, but to me they sound pretty much the same.

For what it's worth here is the original and replacement FR graphs:

Original LCD-3

Replacement LCD-3

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,687 of 11,521
So I've been listening to Leonard Cohen's new album (Old Ideas). Simply a fantastic album with great SQ. But the vocals are simply breathtaking with the LCD-3s. By far the closest to hearing Leonard on a good speaker rig that I've heard to date.

BTW, if you're a Leonard Cohen fan, you owe it to yourself to pick up this new album. He can still bring it in his advanced years and yes, he's still a dirty old man.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,688 of 11,521
Listing to Whitney Houston's "Bodyguard" soundtrack on the LF LCD3 combo. "Run to you" sounds sublime.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3,689 of 11,521

Quote:
So I've been listening to Leonard Cohen's new album (Old Ideas). Simply a fantastic album with great SQ. But the vocals are simply breathtaking with the LCD-3s. By far the closest to hearing Leonard on a good speaker rig that I've heard to date.

BTW, if you're a Leonard Cohen fan, you owe it to yourself to pick up this new album. He can still bring it in his advanced years and yes, he's still a dirty old man.
tongue.gif

Ya I have been looking around for my LC CD, but still can't find it. Maybe I will have to view the new remaster version on Blu Ray (DTS-5.1), Natual Born Killers to hear a few of his songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back