New Audeze LCD3
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3,541 of 11,521
Quote:
Would really love to read ttyl's take on it.

For some reason I think you are typing this on a phone
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3,545 of 11,521

Quote:
I never expected LCD3 to be even close to my 009 in terms of clarity or speed, and they aren't. The creaminess is what one should be after for the LCD3. I don't think even the LCD-100 Rev 5 will come close to the 009 in terms of clarity and transient response, but they are what they are, and I enjoy the characteristics of the LCD3 a lot, in some music more than my 009.

What I am really interested in now is the ATH W3000ANV. Many said in the other thread they have both the LCD3 and W3000ANV, and like the W3000ANV more, despite that they admit LCD-3 is the technically superior headphone. This includes Skylab. Would really love to read ttyl's take on it.

Googlei I missed your French pastry creaminess expressions when you were on that Famous vacation
L3000.gif
Good to see you back and in the game again it creamy good
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #3,546 of 11,521

Quote:
Googlei I missed your French pastry creaminess expressions when you were on that Famous vacation
L3000.gif
Good to see you back and in the game again it creamy good
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I love the coffee with cream analogy!
o2smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #3,547 of 11,521
Hi everyone , I am a new HeadFier and this is my firt post . Sorry if it's a bit long winded and please excuse any bad spelling .
Ive followed this thead since the beginning and thought I'de add my story to the LCD 3 saga !
I purchased a pair of Audeze LCD2 version 1 about a year ago and after receiving them I wasn’t very impressed with them . I thought they sounded a bit dull and lifeless . My senheisser HD650 with a special silver Artisan cable sounded so much better ( more present , dynamic and alive , much better top end )  that I thought that maybe the Audeze  just need an aftermarket cable to improve them and bring out their potential so I spent an additional $800 on an Aphrodite Zeus cable . It improved their sound a little bit but I was still so disappointed .
Then I read about how there  was a new revision 2 of the LCD 2 which was replacing it , because of a design fault ? in the version 1 and also because it had an improved more reliable driver . It was mentioned in forums that it sounded a lot better and had a much brighter top end .
About 5 months after that I read about the LCD3 that was being released at Can Jam . The initial reviews of the LCD 3 from Jude ( the owner and head of Head Fi .com and other highly regarded Head Fiers painted a picture of this sensational new headphone that beat the $5000 Stax oo9 in the bass and midrange and had fantastic highs but not quite as transparent .
I was really excited about this and ordered a set from a local store . When I got them I was a bit shocked to find they had a very similar sonic signature to my old LCD2s , but my LCD 2's actually sounded more cohesive ! I desperately searched the various online Headphone sites and forums for an answer .
Someone stated that they had 2 pairs and that one sounded fantastic and the other was muffled and veiled sounding ! A few others commented on this veiled sound also . Then there were stories of failed drivers  and poor quality control .I was really worried after this . Someone mentioned that his didn’t sound very good until 500! hours burn in and improved until 700 hours ! After I read the previous comment I thought that my headphones probably hadn’t had enough burn in time so I ran them in till 600 hour s ! They improved only very slightly and I have to say that I now that I can't help feeling sort of cheated and ripped off after spending $4100 so far on the promise of a world class headphone experience and getting the opposite .
 I went to the store where I bought them  to compare mine to their set . To my disbelieve ,their pair sounded almost identical to mine and the joke is the manager thinks his sound ok!
I can’t understand why there were the initial great reviews ? Were the initial reviewers listening to handmade or specially picked out versions known to sound good and has the production batch after that had really poor quality control ? Are the people that like the Audeze sound listening to them on bright sounding transistor amps that make up for their apparent lacking in midrange presence? Does the seemingly overpowering LCD 3 bass wash over the midrange frequencies and make them sound dull , dark and lifeless and at the same time take your attention away from the high frequencies and thus make the top end seem lacking ? Are the LCD 3’s highly revealing and amplifing bad qualities in poor recordings and making them seem even worse ? Do recording engineers master with bass lacking headphones and speakers and bump up the bass unknowingly to compensate and thus people listening to the recording with LCD 3s get a recording with too much overwhelming bass ?
The whole thing is an utter mystery to me and I’d love to know the answer . There just must be two versions of this headphone and I'm going to send mine back to Audeze for testing . I just hope they don't say mine test normal !

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #3,548 of 11,521

Quote:
I agree that the differences are certainly not 2x between the LCD-3 and LCD-2r.2, but the smoother treble on the LCD-3s (instead of the somewhat peaky LCD-2r.2) and opened up imaging and sound stage where greatly welcomed improvements to my ears. I found both LCD-2 revisions too closed in for my liking. The more visceral bass on the LCD-3s was also a welcomed improvement; though not night and day over the previous model(s). I do agree with you that both the LCD-2r.2 and LCD-3 show more improvements over the LCD-2r.1.

I don't find this at all. Of course, it depends on the recording.

I'm sure the LCD-3s are better in this department but I wouldn't call them closed in at all, not by a long shot. Of course, I've never heard the HE-6 or HD-800 so your ears will different from mine.

The other day, I was listening to Daft Punk and I couldn't believe how immersed I was. The stage wasn't HUGE, but very wide and sounded natural. The LCD-2 R2. sounds very natural to me...like I'm hearing the recording for what it is.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #3,550 of 11,521
Quote:

Thought maybe your impressions were due to your rig, but a quick look at your profile dispels that notion.  If classical is your primary genre, the HD800 are probably the best dynamic can for you.  Then again, you could always get a BHSE+Stax - that rig would deserve a second post. 

There seem to be a lot of Head-Fier's in Australia/Melbourne.  Since you've been this dissapointed following other peoples advice on the internet, maybe it's time to try out some gear in person so you'll know what you're getting before you spend the money. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,551 of 11,521
The soundstage is simply a joke for classical music on the LCD phones; HD 800 is a much better choice, and I miss mine. Can't comment on Stax, as I've never auditioned one, but based on what I read they probably are the ultimate phones for such music.

Then again, even a much cheaper speaker system will totally surpass cans.

Quote:
Quote:
[...]  If classical is your primary genre, the HD800 are probably the best dynamic can for you.  [...]

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #3,552 of 11,521

Quote:
Hi everyone , I am a new HeadFier and this is my firt post . Sorry if it's a bit long winded and please excuse any bad spelling .
Ive followed this thead since the beginning and thought I'de add my story to the LCD 3 saga !
I purchased a pair of Audeze LCD2 version 1 about a year ago and after receiving them I wasn’t very impressed with them . I thought they sounded a bit dull and lifeless . My senheisser HD650 with a special silver Artisan cable sounded so much better ( more present , dynamic and alive , much better top end )  that I thought that maybe the Audeze  just need an aftermarket cable to improve them and bring out their potential so I spent an additional $800 on an Aphrodite Zeus cable . It improved their sound a little bit but I was still so disappointed .
Then I read about how there  was a new revision 2 of the LCD 2 which was replacing it , because of a design fault ? in the version 1 and also because it had an improved more reliable driver . It was mentioned in forums that it sounded a lot better and had a much brighter top end .
About 5 months after that I read about the LCD3 that was being released at Can Jam . The initial reviews of the LCD 3 from Jude ( the owner and head of Head Fi .com and other highly regarded Head Fiers painted a picture of this sensational new headphone that beat the $5000 Stax oo9 in the bass and midrange and had fantastic highs but not quite as transparent .
I was really excited about this and ordered a set from a local store . When I got them I was a bit shocked to find they had a very similar sonic signature to my old LCD2s , but my LCD 2's actually sounded more cohesive ! I desperately searched the various online Headphone sites and forums for an answer .
Someone stated that they had 2 pairs and that one sounded fantastic and the other was muffled and veiled sounding ! A few others commented on this veiled sound also . Then there were stories of failed drivers  and poor quality control .I was really worried after this . Someone mentioned that his didn’t sound very good until 500! hours burn in and improved until 700 hours ! After I read the previous comment I thought that my headphones probably hadn’t had enough burn in time so I ran them in till 600 hour s ! They improved only very slightly and I have to say that I now that I can't help feeling sort of cheated and ripped off after spending $4100 so far on the promise of a world class headphone experience and getting the opposite .
 I went to the store where I bought them  to compare mine to their set . To my disbelieve ,their pair sounded almost identical to mine and the joke is the manager thinks his sound ok!
I can’t understand why there were the initial great reviews ? Were the initial reviewers listening to handmade or specially picked out versions known to sound good and has the production batch after that had really poor quality control ? Are the people that like the Audeze sound listening to them on bright sounding transistor amps that make up for their apparent lacking in midrange presence? Does the seemingly overpowering LCD 3 bass wash over the midrange frequencies and make them sound dull , dark and lifeless and at the same time take your attention away from the high frequencies and thus make the top end seem lacking ? Are the LCD 3’s highly revealing and amplifing bad qualities in poor recordings and making them seem even worse ? Do recording engineers master with bass lacking headphones and speakers and bump up the bass unknowingly to compensate and thus people listening to the recording with LCD 3s get a recording with too much overwhelming bass ?
The whole thing is an utter mystery to me and I’d love to know the answer . There just must be two versions of this headphone and I'm going to send mine back to Audeze for testing . I just hope they don't say mine test normal !

Hello and welcome.
i had the lcd-2 rev.1 and 2. i prefere the second but the sound signature is not for me.
i listened the stax sr-009. for 5000 dollars, i think that is not for me.
this is a strange world and the only solution is one:listen with your ears, not with the posts in one forum.
for this reason i have not bought the lcd-3
i spent lot of money in headphones and i have more satisfaction with "normal headphones" like the magnum or dx-1000 compared to the "quenns" like ps-1000, ed. 10, etc.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,553 of 11,521
My personal experience is that talking about soundstage on any headphone is a joke without the Smyth Realizer...

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #3,554 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back