New Audeze LCD3
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3,286 of 11,521

Quote:
It would be interesting to know if Fostex has similar issues with their 50-75 dollar planar magnetics.

Nope, they are blast proof.  Designed to be used and abused in studios and whatever else.  I remember someone on good authority saying they were basically unblowable.  Crank as you please.  

I believe Ray Samuels nuked a HE6 for fun.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #3,288 of 11,521
Do you guys think the DOA orthos could be a shipping package issue?  If Audeze is really measuring each set then they are leaving the factory in working condition.  Maybe somebody can put their LCD3/HE400 back in the box as normally packaged and turn the box upsidedown to see if it's possible the headphones are rattling around during shipment.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #3,289 of 11,521

Quote:
Do you guys think the DOA orthos could be a shipping package issue?  If Audeze is really measuring each set then they are leaving the factory in working condition.  Maybe somebody can put their LCD3/HE400 back in the box as normally packaged and turn the box upsidedown to see if it's possible the headphones are rattling around during shipment.

Interesting you should say this.

The HE-400 is the first HiFiMan to be shipped in a cardboard mass-market box rather than an actual foam lined case. When some people expressed a bit of disappointment over this, people started freaking out and decrying their pettiness in typical head-fier holier-than-thou fashion. I made a joke that maybe the damage to the HE-400 (people reporting screws being loose, stuff rattling around in earcups, connectors coming undone) was in part caused by poor packaging.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3,290 of 11,521

Quote:

It would also be interesting to see what percentage of DOA LCD-3's were sent in travel cases vs wood boxes.  It's much harder to get any movement in fitted foam (If the issues happened with travel cases, then its probably a manufacturing defect and not a shipping issue.)  I remember them also starting to use a few layers of plastic wrap around the cups/posts due to some LCD-2's arriving broken due to shipping damage.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #3,291 of 11,521
hey guys,

just got my lcd-3, half a year after purchasing my lcd-2. I got them because I was very impressed by the demo set provided to me by the dealer where i'm located.  however, upon receiving my own, it feels like there's a veil over the sound. it didn't blow me away like the first time i listened to them. i'm wondering if it's cus its a new pair or if i have a defective pair? i'm running them in with music all the time now to see if it changes in a few days, but would appreciate if someone gave me some feedback on this so I know what to expect!

browsing through some of the posts here it seems like there were one or 2 guys that found that their lcd-3s improved substantially after some burn in. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,292 of 11,521

Quote:
hey guys,

just got my lcd-3, half a year after purchasing my lcd-2. I got them because I was very impressed by the demo set provided to me by the dealer where i'm located.  however, upon receiving my own, it feels like there's a veil over the sound. it didn't blow me away like the first time i listened to them. i'm wondering if it's cus its a new pair or if i have a defective pair? i'm running them in with music all the time now to see if it changes in a few days, but would appreciate if someone gave me some feedback on this so I know what to expect!

browsing through some of the posts here it seems like there were one or 2 guys that found that their lcd-3s improved substantially after some burn in. 

Unfortunately, we're still in the early adoption period with this headphone, and the reports have been decidedly mixed. Some users report exceptional sound right out of the box. Others report improvement over a period of 100 to as many as 800 hours of burn-in. Still others find them permanently veiled (to the point of distraction). Finally, some users report drivers that are DOA or fail over the course of the first few weeks.

Personally, I found mine to be unacceptably veiled. Based on my conversation with Audez'e about burn-in -- they said that every pair is burned in before leaving the factory and the sound should not change substantially with more burn-in -- I sent mine back for testing. Still waiting for the results.

I'm not particularly upset with what's happening -- it's a new product for a very small company, and their customer service has been first-rate for me -- but it's safe to say that things are rather uncertain at the moment.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,293 of 11,521

For the LCD-3 I received, there was a very noticeable veil and my LCD-3 headphones did open up after about 50 hours of burn-in and just slightly more so after 100 hours of burn-in.  In any event, I can say with certainty that burn-in did improve my LCD-3 headphones by a noticeable, if not a significant, amount.  Of course, your miles may vary.  I would probably think that, if after 100 hours of burn-in, you still hear that veil in your LCD-3 headphones then there may be an issue, but maybe not as much so right out of the box.

Quote:
hey guys,

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,294 of 11,521
Quote:
Nope, they are blast proof.  Designed to be used and abused in studios and whatever else.  I remember someone on good authority saying they were basically unblowable.  Crank as you please.  

I believe Ray Samuels nuked a HE6 for fun.

Obviously those good authorities didn't have a Darkstar... 
wink_face.gif

The old Yamahas are probably immune to anything short of thermal damage since they're only clipped together in the center and not tensioned around the edges there shouldn't be as much stress on the diaphragm.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,295 of 11,521
Now we have three years warranty on our LCD-2/3s! 
beerchug.gif

http://audeze.com/lcd-3-update

"Audeze reserves the right to determine if the warranty is valid or void due to the abuse or neglect of the product or modifications"
I wonder if TP mod counts as modification...?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3,298 of 11,521
Quote:
Hmm, the "reliability issue" they are talking about.. they are probably only referring to the dead driver problem and not the "veil problem"?

I don't think they have admitted that there is a "veil problem" yet. Didn't Tyll and someone else send their veiled LCD-3s back to Audez'e for measurements or something?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,300 of 11,521

Quote:
Hmm, the "reliability issue" they are talking about.. they are probably only referring to the dead driver problem and not the "veil problem"?

It would not surprise me if the "reliability issue" and the "veil problem" are actually the same thing.

Drivers that are about to fail might surely manifest "veil-like" symptoms before they quit working altogether. I've long suspected that this has been the root cause of the "bass-lite T1" issue from several years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back