New Audeze LCD3
Dec 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #2,611 of 11,521
Quote:
When properly driven with a good source, the LCD-3's sound staging is on par with the HE-6s. That is to say, just under the T1's ability to portray imaging. Now as has been said before, soundstaging is recorded on the recording. Headphones like the HD800s can ameliorate this and if a super wide sound stage is a top priority, then I would recommend the HD800s or maybe even T1s.

i get what you're shooting at, Peter.  and i appreciate the feedback you've been giving on the LCD-3. 
beerchug.gif

i don't worry so much about soundstage size as i worry about the LCD-3's ability to perform consistently.

my chief gripe with the LCD-2 (especially rev.1) is what others call resonance, or ringing, or whatever.
it is a nagging issue that my ears hear ocassionally and just can't ignore.

what it sounds like, to me, is that the a certain song will be humming along, and the performance will be pretty good, and then BAM there's this sound that jumps out and destroys the illusion.

and while all the other sounds seem to emerge from the "soundscape" that the headphone is creating, this one sound will sound like it is eminating from within the ear cup, right next to the ear.  and it's typically a midrange sound, or lower midrange.  and it seems to "flood" or "fill up" my ears.  basically ruining the illusion of the performance.
isn't that what high fidelity listening is all about, the illusion of listening to a performance instead of a headphone?
well, the LCD-2 gets close at times, but there's that issue that spoils it for me...

and there are so many head-fiers that never experienced this issue with the LCD-2.
so naturally, i feel that the LCD-3 may have this problem too, but that it won't be reported until someone else with the same "sensitivity" to the issue as myself buys one and "comes clean" about it. 
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2,612 of 11,521
Quote:
i get what you're shooting at, Peter.  and i appreciate the feedback you've been giving on the LCD-3. 
beerchug.gif

i don't worry so much about soundstage size as i worry about the LCD-3's ability to perform consistently.

my chief gripe with the LCD-2 (especially rev.1) is what others call resonance, or ringing, or whatever.

what it sounds like, to me, is that the a certain song will be humming along, and the performance will be pretty good, and then BAM there's this sound that jumps out and destroys the illusion.

and while all the other sounds seem to emerge from the "soundscape" that the headphone is creating, this one sound will sound like it is eminating from within the ear cup, right next to the ear.  and it's typically a midrange sound, or lower midrange.  and it seems to "flood" or "fill up" my ears.  basically ruining the illusion of the performance.
isn't that what high fidelity listening is all about, the illusion of listening to a performance instead of a headphone?
well, the LCD-2 gets close at times, but there's that issue that spoils it for me...

and there are so many head-fiers that never experienced this issue with the LCD-2.
so naturally, i feel that the LCD-3 may have this problem too, but that it won't be reported until someone else with the same "sensitivity" to the issue as myself buys one and "comes clean" about it. 
tongue.gif

One guy at a recent minimeet we had reported something similar w/ the 3s.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,613 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

One guy at a recent minimeet we had reported something similar w/ the 3s.

Who was that? 
biggrin.gif

My chief gripe with the LCD-3 was the soft pads that seemed to create a vacuum in my ears and clamp even more. After a couple minutes of listening it would feel like my eardrums were being pulled. I preferred the firmer leather pads of the Rev 1.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #2,614 of 11,521

Quote:
beerchug.gif

tongue.gif

The reduction in ringing/bloom/etc... was improved upon by a good margin with the LCD-2 rev. 2s. The LCD-3s don't have any to my ears and backed up by the waterfall plots.

https://audeze.com/blog/feed

Along with the improved sound stage, the new drivers are very quick in comparison to the previous Audeze headphones and sound quite a bit "cleaner".

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,615 of 11,521

Quote:

I found the sound stage improvements on the LCD-3s one of the best improvements over either version of the LCD-2.

x 2 (at least compared to rev.1; I haven't heard rev.2). It's true that the centered "in your face" presentation of LCD-2 was nice with pop/rock and small groups but unimpressive with orchestra and classical in general. I curiously hear more burn-in with LCD-3 but after more than 200 hours, sound seems to stabilize. Now, listening to symphonies is much more impressive than with LCD-2.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #2,616 of 11,521
Quote:
My chief gripe with the LCD-3 was the soft pads that seemed to create a vacuum in my ears and clamp even more. After a couple minutes of listening it would feel like my eardrums were being pulled. I preferred the firmer leather pads of the Rev 1.

There you are.

I should probably add that I have noticed resonance in the cup of the LCD-2 R1s before, but did not notice any in the LCD-3s.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #2,618 of 11,521
Well, I'm not sure how this applies to your question, but here it is, make of it what you will. I never experienced any of the inconsistent performance of the LCD-3. Mids were never recessed, no veil to speak of. All was well. Until yesterday, when I removed the Siemens tubes from my LF and put Tungsram instead. My, where did those mids disappear? I experienced everything LCD-3 complained about - from too much bass to veiled mids, to lacking soundstage definition. Out went the Tungsrams, in the JJ, and mids came back somewhat, but this is where I noticed inconsistency between material - some times mids would just become veiled, but at others they were better. Again, none of these issues were experienced while I had the Siemens in the LF.

Quote:
beerchug.gif

tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #2,621 of 11,521

Quote:
my chief gripe with the LCD-2 (especially rev.1) is what others call resonance, or ringing, or whatever ... i feel that the LCD-3 may have this problem too, but that it won't be reported until someone else with the same "sensitivity" to the issue as myself buys one and "comes clean" about it.

I heard the same thing with the original version, and was very sensitive to it, and posted about it at the time (and got flamed by the fanboys) - but the LCD-3 doesn't suffer from the same problem at all.

I think the LCD-3 has other problems, though, and it will never be my go-to phone.  It's too restrained somehow.  Sounds like the band or the orchestra is wrapped in Saran wrap and can't break free.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,622 of 11,521

Quote:
I think the LCD-3 has other problems, though, and it will never be my go-to phone.  It's too restrained somehow.  Sounds like the band or the orchestra is wrapped in Saran wrap and can't break free.

Try burning them in for about 3 weeks straight (500hrs) and then the Saran wrap effect will be gone.  Trust me what do you have to lose? 

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,624 of 11,521

Quote:
Try burning them in for about 3 weeks straight (500hrs) and then the Saran wrap effect will be gone.  Trust me what do you have to lose? 

Saran wrap effect.   well said.  This is exactly what the pair I have experienced for 2 weeks has.

I know someone with 2 pairs of LCD-3's   One pair exhibited this effect from the start and the other pair never did.   Some folks report this effect and some never experience it.  

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2,625 of 11,521

Quote:
beerchug.gif

tongue.gif

I have never experienced the ringing with the 2 pairs of R.1's I owned or the R.2 I own now.   But neither  of my R.1's sounded alike.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back