New Audeze LCD3
Nov 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #1,801 of 11,521

Quote:Darkstar......will it work well with LCD3? It'd be interesting to know.

Hope this helps;

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread/240#post_7826783
  1. Maxvla
  2. badge_contributor.v1305918899.png
  4. online

Quote:Ok I saved the LCD3 with the Darkstar for last. Flat out amazing. I did not want to take them off, but I had to give them back to Alex. The only rig present I would prefer would be the HE90 on the A-10. Every genre, male or female vocals, electronica, acoustic... I spent about 25 minutes with them. If I had a great source and $5k I would be first in line for the LCD3 and a Darkstar. This is no hype, just real reaction. As you will see when I post my full impressions I'm not afraid to dog things when I don't like them, even expensive stuff. The only reason you might go for a 009 instead is if you were chasing the absolute last shred of detail. I found the 009 without fault except that it was not as engaging as I wanted. Paired with the right amp, Audeze have met Stax and imo exceeded them already.

Word of caution, The Darkstar was paired with a Boulder Cd Player,  however that means a very good source with a Darkstar makes the 3's sound great.

Aldso this was at a meet, not the ideal conditions to really listen close with all the background noise etc.

Same reviewer from here;

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576282/take-a-virtual-tour-of-canjam-rmaf-2011-the-notes-of-my-impressions-of-nearly-every-combination-present-very-long#post_7829493

69) Boulder 1021 CDP, Ray Samuels Darkstar, Audeze LCD3
Perfect in every way. The only thing anyone might choose instead is 009's or HE90 for the absolutely last shred of detail. I did not want to take these off.

No matter the track, no matter the genre.. This combo was great every time. After about 25 minutes I realized I still had them on and needed to get them back to Alex and reluctantly took them off. $5k is a lot of money for me, but I'll figure out some way to get this combo eventually. Other than the HE90 on the A-10, this was best in show for me.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,802 of 11,521
A bit hacked together, but there it is.

I'm tormented daily by the question of picking up a Darkstar and LCD3, but so far have been able to stave it off.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #1,804 of 11,521
A few formatting nitpicks, but also hard to tell where my quote ends and your editorial begins, such as these lines:

clifwst said:
 Word of caution, The Darkstar was paired with a Boulder Cd Player, however that means a very good source with a Darkstar makes the 3's sound great.

Aldso this was at a meet, not the ideal conditions to really listen close with all the background noise etc.

Are not part of my quote, but are left in the same body.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #1,805 of 11,521
Nice work, cheers!

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #1,807 of 11,521
Boulder CD Player (US$25K+)
  -> Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star Headphone Amplifier (US$5K)
    -> Audeze LCD-3 Planar Magnetic Headphone (US$1,945)
      -> Tissue Paper

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #1,808 of 11,521
U are listening to papers man.....$$$$

Quote:
Boulder CD Player (US$25K+)
  -> Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star Headphone Amplifier (US$5K)
    -> Audeze LCD-3 Planar Magnetic Headphone (US$1,945)
      -> Tissue Paper

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,809 of 11,521
A number have commented that the LCD-3 is intolerant of poorly recorded material. 

The context of the comments often implies, at least to me, that this is viewed as a negative.  Some even have alternate headphones to use that apparently actively mask/hide/sweeten those recordings the listener does not care for.

Is the accurate portrayal of the source seen as a bad thing?  If so, this strikes me as odd.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #1,810 of 11,521
I would say sensitive to source but not bad. The LCD2 does mask a bit of details (compared to LCD3 and 009) so it makes bad recordings sound "better", but it is equalized by the fact that it does not sound as good as the 3 in good recordings and good source gear. Depends on whether you want to  get the best out of the best or just an above average sound for almost all recordings and source.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,811 of 11,521
Hey,

I am not sure, if I should buy a LCD3 blindly. Since I live in Switzerland, there is no other option.
I couldn't find a good A/B between the 507 i can refer to and the LCD3.

I had the 507 for a weekend at home and compared it to my 303. Driven by a SRM T1 and my Yulong D100, i came to a different conclusion. To my ears, the 303 sounded more laid back and more rolled off in the highs. At the end of the day, i preffered the signature of my 303 and the difference in resolution wasn't worth 1k $.

Right now, I'm thinking about buying a LCD3 and a Little Dot MK VI, but is the difference worth 3k $?

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,812 of 11,521

Quote:
Hey,

I am not sure, if I should buy a LCD3 blindly. Since I live in Switzerland, there is no other option.
I couldn't find a good A/B between the 507 i can refer to and the LCD3.

I had the 507 for a weekend at home and compared it to my 303. Driven by a SRM T1 and my Yulong D100, i came to a different conclusion. To my ears, the 303 sounded more laid back and more rolled off in the highs. At the end of the day, i preffered the signature of my 303 and the difference in resolution wasn't worth 1k $.

Right now, I'm thinking about buying a LCD3 and a Little Dot MK VI, but is the difference worth 3k $?

Not based on what you've said so far I'd say.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #1,813 of 11,521
From Day One the question is whether the 3 is worth the extra grand, but this question is really totally subjective and depends on the front end gear you have.  When you have spent tens of thousands on front end gear, (1) you don't care about the extra grand and (2) the improvement of LCD3 over the LCD2 is likely to be much more significant than the improvement you will hear on, say, with due respect, a Little Dot. At least to me, this much is clear: on my CLAS SR71B combo (which I enjoyed so much with the LCD2), the improvement of 3 over 2 is not worth the extra grand; but on my home rig, the Esoteric K01 and Leben, the improvement of 3 over 2 is much more significant and to me that improvement is worth well over the extra grand.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,814 of 11,521
Listening to this on my home LCD3 rig...

Once Carol began to sing I was like... Dude...

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,815 of 11,521

Quote:
I would say sensitive to source but not bad. The LCD2 does mask a bit of details (compared to LCD3 and 009) so it makes bad recordings sound "better", but it is equalized by the fact that it does not sound as good as the 3 in good recordings and good source gear. Depends on whether you want to  get the best out of the best or just an above average sound for almost all recordings and source.

Actually, I find that in terms of detail resolution, LCD-2r2 > LCD-3 > LCD-2r1. At least that was the case with my units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back