New Audeze LCD3
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #436 of 11,521

Quote:
Does anyone know how much these things weigh? I found the LCD-2 to be neck damaging....

Well they've taken the existing design and stuck some extra metal cable receptacles - will that make it lighter?
biggrin.gif

Personally though I wouldn't let comfort put me off any headphone.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #437 of 11,521

Quote:
Well they've taken the existing design and stuck some extra metal cable receptacles - will that make it lighter?
biggrin.gif

Personally though I wouldn't let comfort put me off any headphone.

I wore the LCD2 for an hour and my neck was in pain for two days afterwards...

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #438 of 11,521

I wore all sorts of headphones for a collective about 18-19 hours in 3 days. About 2 hours of that were LCD 2s and 3s. I have no pain whatsoever. I found the LCD2s and 3s to be fairly light. Not understanding how they can cause neck pain. The Hifiman headphones feel like bricks comparatively.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #439 of 11,521
I said that im broke because to be able to buy the LCD-2 I had to save up forever and sell stuff I have had been collecting over the years to get them. I cant come up with another grand. 

I wear them for sometimes up to 8 hours a day studying and they never bother my neck. I think the fit is perfect. Its not too heavy yet it feels firm on your head. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #440 of 11,521

Quote:

I was in pain with the LCD-2 for about one month because I have arthritis in my neck.  But after one month I have adapted and I no longer have any pain and do not notice them at all now.  It was touch and go for a while though.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #441 of 11,521

Quote:
I wore all sorts of headphones for a collective about 18-19 hours in 3 days. About 2 hours of that were LCD 2s and 3s. I have no pain whatsoever. I found the LCD2s and 3s to be fairly light. Not understanding how they can cause neck pain. The Hifiman headphones feel like bricks comparatively.

LCD-3 Weight is 550 grams without cable.
HE6 Weight is 502 grams.
So actualy the HE6 is lighter.
So far from what I have read it seems to me that at best the LCD-3 is trying to get to the level of the HE6, but in some respects is still not there, of-course this is saying that you have a head amp that can properly drive the HE6.

Anyway here are the specs of the LCD-3
Specs
- Planar Magnetic Transducers.
- Custom designed Zebra wood (zebrano) earcups.
- Specially designed lambskin leather earpads.
- Left and rear transducers have matched sensitivity and frequency response within +/- 0.5dB.
- Specially designed self- closing, acoustically transparent magnetic structure with highest grade Neodymium magnets.
- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 20KHz, usable high frequency extension 50KHz.
- Distortion: less than 1% even at full output.
- Impedance: 50Ohms, nominal
- Maximum diaphragm excursion: 2.5mm p- p
- Efficiency: 93dB/1mW - Maximum output: 133dB, 15W
-Transducer active diaphragm area: 6.17 sq. in.
- Input cable: Custom cable with mini XLR connectors
- Weight: 550g, without cable.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #442 of 11,521

Quote:
Specs- Planar Magnetic Transducers.- Custom designed Zebra wood (zebrano) earcups.- Specially designed lambskin leather earpads.- Left and rear transducers have matched sensitivity and frequency response within +/- 0.5dB.- Specially designed self- closing, acoustically transparent magnetic structure with highest grade Neodymium magnets.- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 20KHz, usable high frequency extension 50KHz.- Distortion: less than 1% even at full output.- Impedance: 50Ohms, nominal- Maximum diaphragm excursion: 2.5mm p- p- Efficiency: 93dB/1mW - Maximum output: 133dB, 15W-Transducer active diaphragm area: 6.17 sq. in.- Input cable: Custom cable with mini XLR connectors- Weight: 550g, without cable.

That raises an interesting question re: transducers and the new Lotus membrane. Could it be that LCD-2 and LCD-3 use the same membrane except that the ones in LCD-3 are hand picked (and get a fancy name- Lotus) so that the left and right match for sensitivity and frequency response to within +-.5 db and the rejects are used in LCD-2. The yield has to be pretty poor to have it matched so close and I can't imagine the rest  being junked. And there has been lot of talk about how the left and right channels do not match in the LCD-2s.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #443 of 11,521

Quote:
I have to disagree. Tonality is probably one of the weaker aspects of the HD800 at least when compared to the Stax 007 MK1 and Audez'e LCD2. 

Don't see how that's disagreeing but more misunderstanding what I wrote.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #444 of 11,521
LCD-3 Weight is 550 grams without cable.
HE6 Weight is 502 grams.
So actualy the HE6 is lighter.
So far from what I have read it seems to me that at best the LCD-3 is trying to get to the level of the HE6, but in some respects is still not there, of-course this is saying that you have a head amp that can properly drive the HE6.

Specs- Planar Magnetic Transducers.- Custom designed Zebra wood (zebrano) earcups.- Specially designed lambskin leather earpads.- Left and rear transducers have matched sensitivity and frequency response within +/- 0.5dB.- Specially designed self- closing, acoustically transparent magnetic structure with highest grade Neodymium magnets.- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 20KHz, usable high frequency extension 50KHz.- Distortion: less than 1% even at full output.- Impedance: 50Ohms, nominal- Maximum diaphragm excursion: 2.5mm p- p- Efficiency: 93dB/1mW - Maximum output: 133dB, 15W-Transducer active diaphragm area: 6.17 sq. in.- Input cable: Custom cable with mini XLR connectors- Weight: 550g, without cable.

That is interesting about the weight. It must be that there are so few contact points with the HE-6 that it feels heavier on the head. The fit from them is terrible and it just feels heavy. Most of the weight rests right behind your temples with the HE-6 whereas the LCD2 and 3 seem to distribute it all the way around your ears with the pads and a little on the headband.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #445 of 11,521
It is ok to feel comfortable with the LCD2, but for me, either my neck or my jaw hurts after prolonged listening sessions.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #446 of 11,521

Quote:

What makes you think this?  I haven't gotten that impression.  Are you saying that because the HE6 is lighter?  Lighter most likely means smaller magnets or smaller driver which isn't better on it's own. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #447 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

That raises an interesting question re: transducers and the new Lotus membrane. Could it be that LCD-2 and LCD-3 use the same membrane except that the ones in LCD-3 are hand picked (and get a fancy name- Lotus) so that the left and right match for sensitivity and frequency response to within +-.5 db and the rejects are used in LCD-2. The yield has to be pretty poor to have it matched so close and I can't imagine the rest  being junked. And there has been lot of talk about how the left and right channels do not match in the LCD-2s.

I can't remember where it is posted, but someone quoted I think it was Alex and that is not the case -- the diaphragm is totally new, along with the magnets IIRC.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #448 of 11,521

Quote:

Not at all. They are both good headphones. I have trouble with the LCD2 because every other pair sounds different; and about 1/3 to 1/5 of them I've heard has had some issues to varying degrees including the ones I measured below.

Yellow: HD800 L (the R channel for all intents and purposes looks exactly the same)
Blue: LCD2r1 R
Red: LCD2r1 L

All plots are un-smoothed.

Sorry folks for talking this slightly off topic.

One of my concerns with Audeze has been with quality control and driver matching with the LCD2 (and in turn the LCD3.) The above driver mismatch with the LCD2 should never happen with a $1000 headphone in my opinion. It's obvious the right driver should have just been tossed in the garbage and never made it into production.

Also, there's some ringing on the LCD2 at different spots. You should know where to click to see those.

Oh man, the ringing between 1kHz to 4kHz looks worrisome. Which version of the R1 is this by the way, older or newer pads? 

Should we continue this in the LCD2 thread anyway? Maybe you can post the response there. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #449 of 11,521

Quote:
That is interesting about the weight. It must be that there are so few contact points with the HE-6 that it feels heavier on the head. The fit from them is terrible and it just feels heavy. Most of the weight rests right behind your temples with the HE-6 whereas the LCD2 and 3 seem to distribute it all the way around your ears with the pads and a little on the headband.

Yes If you don't use the headband resting on your head and you position the cups so they are resting on your temples that would be uncomfortable. In my case I use the headband and position the cups with the HE6 so I have NP..

Quote:
What makes you think this?  I haven't gotten that impression.  Are you saying that because the HE6 is lighter?  Lighter most likely means smaller magnets or smaller driver which isn't better on it's own. 

No not because of the HE6 being lighter than the LCD-3 (but still that is a factor), but because of the HE6's highs and mids along with a bigger deeper sound-stage, and the HP cable that comes with the HE6 in comparison to the LCD-2. And its for those reasons plus quality control that I said imo the LCD-3 is trying to catch up to the HE6's. But as I have said the HE6 needs the right HP amp to power the HE6's.
Also a note about the bass of the HE6, using the right amp and yes the Liquid Fire is one of those amps but just not with the stock JJ tubes that its my understand that was used in the Liquid Fire's at the show, if you pop in a quad set of Siemens E88CC=CCa in the LF the bass is very good using the HE6's.

The only real rave review came from Jude using a costly after market HP cable and his high end portable gear. I doubt that the HE6's would fair all that well on that gear of Jude's.

Anyway I would really like the LCD-3's to have raised the bar and that they are a better headphone than the HE6.
btw what is Audeze return policy I can't find that info on there web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back