New Audeze LCD3
Aug 4, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #11,088 of 11,521
I went over to Audeze site to look at the band and order one but it's under construction.  Maybe it's down for when they debut the new look phones' at Can Jam.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #11,090 of 11,521
i just bough a lohb headband
very cheap, but comfortable, and the weight is better distributed , i think
always the same half kg headphone..the one above for sure is lighter and that is the way to go imho

i had just to unscrew the top of the yoke to take out the cups, no need for the first screw in the plastic

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #11,091 of 11,521
  First post here - hi everyone.

I've just been reading the recent posts in this thread saying the LCD-3s have been revised from the beginning of this year. I'd been planning buy a pair of LCD-3s but after seeing the charts posted by people with the new revision (282xxxx), I must say those plans have gone on hold.

Looking at the charts, the really good news is that the bass is now flat down to 30 Hz instead of starting to fall away at 40 Hz. That’s surely something that almost everyone will welcome.

More controversial, to my mind, is the large uptick in the frequency response at the other end of the frequency spectrum, starting at around 8 kHz and peaking at around 10 kHz. There had always been an uptick here but it’s much larger now. I can see that many or most people will welcome this as adding “air” or “transparency” to the sound. But to me, the big attraction of the LCD-3 had always been its sweet and forgiving top end, and it seems to me that this latest revision is a step away from that.

I must emphasise that I haven’t heard the newly revised LCD-3s yet. I currently own a pair of LCD-2s (Rev. 2, non-Fazor) and these are wonderful apart from just a bit too much emphasis at the top end for my ears – for example, I find my LCD-2s tend to highlight, rather than tame, harsh sibilants. Last year I tried some LCD-3s at a show and had one of those “YES!” moments where I decided they were absolutely perfect and completely resolved the LCD-2 problem. It’s only now that I’ve come to make the purchase – only to find that the sound signature of the LCD-3s has now been changed and is no longer what I heard at that show.

I’ve already come up with a conspiracy theory about this. The problem with the hyper-expensive LCD-4 is how to differentiate it from the LCD-3, which is (or was) already as good as it gets. So maybe Audeze has decided to make the LCD-3 sound the same as the LCD-2, so all those people who once bought the LCD-3 for its sweet and forgiving top end will now have to buy the LCD-4 instead! You could even speculate that the LCD-2, now pretty much redundant, might soon be dropped - though that’s probably pushing it even for a conspiracy theorist.

The LCD4 simply sounds much better than the 3, and I've compared 200ohm to old 2014 fazor LCD3

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #11,092 of 11,521

First post here - hi everyone.

I've just been reading the recent posts in this thread saying the LCD-3s have been revised from the beginning of this year. I'd been planning buy a pair of LCD-3s but after seeing the charts posted by people with the new revision (282xxxx), I must say those plans have gone on hold.

Looking at the charts, the really good news is that the bass is now flat down to 30 Hz instead of starting to fall away at 40 Hz. That’s surely something that almost everyone will welcome.

More controversial, to my mind, is the large uptick in the frequency response at the other end of the frequency spectrum, starting at around 8 kHz and peaking at around 10 kHz. There had always been an uptick here but it’s much larger now. I can see that many or most people will welcome this as adding “air” or “transparency” to the sound. But to me, the big attraction of the LCD-3 had always been its sweet and forgiving top end, and it seems to me that this latest revision is a step away from that.

I must emphasise that I haven’t heard the newly revised LCD-3s yet. I currently own a pair of LCD-2s (Rev. 2, non-Fazor) and these are wonderful apart from just a bit too much emphasis at the top end for my ears – for example, I find my LCD-2s tend to highlight, rather than tame, harsh sibilants. Last year I tried some LCD-3s at a show and had one of those “YES!” moments where I decided they were absolutely perfect and completely resolved the LCD-2 problem. It’s only now that I’ve come to make the purchase – only to find that the sound signature of the LCD-3s has now been changed and is no longer what I heard at that show.

I’ve already come up with a conspiracy theory about this. The problem with the hyper-expensive LCD-4 is how to differentiate it from the LCD-3, which is (or was) already as good as it gets. So maybe Audeze has decided to make the LCD-3 sound the same as the LCD-2, so all those people who once bought the LCD-3 for its sweet and forgiving top end will now have to buy the LCD-4 instead! You could even speculate that the LCD-2, now pretty much redundant, might soon be dropped - though that’s probably pushing it even for a conspiracy theorist.

The LCD4 simply sounds much better than the 3, and I've compared 200ohm to old 2014 fazor LCD3

And the price difference ?

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #11,094 of 11,521
Whoa, catching up. I recently sent my 2ish years old lcd3f to Audeze for repair as the right channel went dead. I have not had the opportunity to do any significant listening.

So they've changed the lcd3 formula. And there's a chance that my phones have been tuned differently?

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #11,095 of 11,521
Whoa, catching up. I recently sent my 2ish years old lcd3f to Audeze for repair as the right channel went dead. I have not had the opportunity to do any significant listening.

So they've changed the lcd3 formula. And there's a chance that my phones have been tuned differently?

Slightly deeper bass extension, slightly pulled back mids around 1k, nothing crazy

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #11,096 of 11,521
Slightly deeper bass extension, slightly pulled back mids around 1k, nothing crazy

IMHO, the 2016 version offers improved clarity and soundstage, though significance is in the ear(s) of the beholder.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,098 of 11,521
Hi Guys,

Currently have LCD2 (F) I really like them BUT the upgrade bug....anyway, compared to LCD 2 (F) do the LCD 3 (F) have a larger soundstage?

Many thanks,

Mooch

The lcd3 sound stage is still small, however, it is not as small as the lcd2's. i had the lcd2 only for a week and in decided to return it and get the lcd3. Very happy with my decision. I think the most notable difference between the 2 is the treble. To me is like the audezes are dialed so to sound best with rock, jazz, electronic and even salsa. It think if the sound stage was larger, these genres wouldn't sound as good. Any way, to me it is worth the upgrade, special if you can get a good deal on the lcd3.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #11,099 of 11,521
Hi Guys,

Currently have LCD2 (F) I really like them BUT the upgrade bug....anyway, compared to LCD 2 (F) do the LCD 3 (F) have a larger soundstage?

Many thanks,

Mooch
Can't answer that directly, but my current LCD-3F reminds me a lot of my LCD-2.2, with the main difference being that the LCD-3F doesn't have a hint of grain in the treble whereas the LCD-2.2 was fairly grainy. Other than that the presentation is remarkably similar.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #11,100 of 11,521
I was wondering that also, because I have the most recent LCD 2, and wondering how much better the LCD 3s are. If they are similar with just a hint of grain I can't see spending a grand more for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back