New Audeze LCD3
Apr 27, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #11,056 of 11,521
The DAC is only about a year old. 

I realize they improve DACs all the time, but how much improvement can there be left to perform? I just question the A/B/X test results between two up-to-date DACs one in the $500 price range vs another in the $5000 price range where everything else is equal in the system.

Thanks for the clarification on the DAC Wayde.  I misunderstood your previous posts and though that your DAC and amp were both 10 years old. 
I guess the $500 < $5,000 DAC question comes down to how much cash your willing to part with to chase that final bit of audio nirvana.  I wouldn't change your DAC if you're happy with what you have now.  
As you well know different tube amps, different tubes, etc comes with a whole another level of audio obsessive compulsive disorder.
I have a big box of tubes stashed in my office from various iterations/combinations I've tried on my headphone amp, pre amplifier and amplifier.   I've pissed a lot of good $$ away on tubes chasing different/better sound in my tube gear.  
If you really want to tinker with that magic combo of amp and LCD-3 - I'd play with a quality tube amp like a Woo.  That would be a lot of fun.
I'm definitely way past using mp3. I've only got a few (thousand) .mp3s left in my music server. My library is mostly flac with about 1/3rd high-res files. I've been pretty dedicated at building up my hi-res collection the most.

I don't use MP3 either.  Amazon let's you download a digital copy of some of your music purchases.  I bought a vinyl LP this morning and downloaded the corresponding .MP3 from Amazon Music.  Pure rubbish.  
That said; I've had my fair share of FLAC's that suck because the original mastering of the recording sucked.
I was "happier" with my music collection when my amp/headphone weren't of such good quality.  In the pre head-fi days I just could hear or didn't care about the lousy sound of my digital music.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #11,057 of 11,521

I'm looking forward to testing this out very soon!

I'm definitely way past using mp3. I've only got a few (thousand) .mp3s left in my music server. My library is mostly flac with about 1/3rd high-res files. I've been pretty dedicated at building up my hi-res collection the most.

Ive ditched MP3 entirely, sounds awefull. Tidal HIFI is best streamer platform. for general music listening its great. 
Ive bought some high resolution albums on hdtracks. I can hear small differences between eg. guitar vibrations and violin vibrations. On general purpose music Tidal HIFI is good enough.

I heard rumour Tidal is coming with 24 bit 96khz recordings soon.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #11,058 of 11,521
  Tidal HIFI is best streamer platform. for general music listening its great. 
Ive bought some high resolution albums on hdtracks. I can hear small differences between eg. guitar vibrations and violin vibrations. On general purpose music Tidal HIFI is good enough.

I heard rumour Tidal is coming with 24 bit 96khz recordings soon.

how do you stream Tidal to your DAC/Amps?

I'm presently using a dedicated streamer (Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 V2) that I like a lot, but it natively only supports Spotify, no Tidal. Tidal definitely seems cool!

I do my headphone listening off a system setup by my bed. I can't use a computer screen in that location. I prefer to use an app on my phone to scroll through my music collection and stream it to my streamer unit. If there were a streamer that would pass the digital signal to my DAC that can be controlled by my phone over wi-fi that supported Tidal I think I'd be all set. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #11,059 of 11,521
  how do you stream Tidal to your DAC/Amps?

I'm presently using a dedicated streamer (Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 V2) that I like a lot, but it natively only supports Spotify, no Tidal. Tidal definitely seems cool!

I do my headphone listening off a system setup by my bed. I can't use a computer screen in that location. I prefer to use an app on my phone to scroll through my music collection and stream it to my streamer unit. If there were a streamer that would pass the digital signal to my DAC that can be controlled by my phone over wi-fi that supported Tidal I think I'd be all set. 

I use USB with Intona USB separator, and Tidal application.

But there for DAC's that support streaming on them, apparently there are small apps in samsung and apple appstore to do it for you. I have not tried this though. Im considering purchasing a HD30 with a switch from my HD25,.. but its literally 2500 dollars more. not sure if its worth it.. I guess 1000 dollars is worth the streamer itself. 1000 dollars for the mono DAC chips, and 500 dollars more for the improved sound. smth like that.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #11,060 of 11,521

So, your saying that the one I just bought isn't a revised LCD-3? Or just one of many revisions? 

It was apparently made on April 22-2016. I'd have to think that would be pretty up-to-date.

Lol, the LCD 3 have changed many times over the years. I have owned 3 different revision now
eek.gif
 If your LCD 3 is from April 22-2016 it’s even newer than my LCD3. I don’t know what date the latest revision started, but my LCD3 from February is different to the one I had before both physically and sound vise.

I have not heard your amp, but I would not roll it out because of price and age. I’m guessing that it (smooth tube amp) can have a really good synergy with the new LCD 3 and its high treble. If it have sufficient power to drive them thou. Best to burn in your LCD3 for at least 200 hours first and then test your gear against other amps and DACs.

PS. New tubes can be good if you have used it a lot during the 10 years. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #11,061 of 11,521

I don't have a link handy but an Audeze rep has already commented somewhere on Head-Fi that the 282xxxx do not signify a new revision. They ran out of 271xxx serial number labels and had to get new ones done.... 
popcorn.gif

Just got word from Audeze. My 28**** seem to be the latest.

Hi Wayde
Yes, you have the latest and greatest. 

As far as serial numbers go, the only variation that "really" means anything with LCD-3s is that numbers beginning with 27 or 28 have Fazors. Going from 27 to 28 was most likely a result of simply running out of stickers. :wink:
Anything made after the first of the year is for sure the latest revision, but there are some made before that which are also part of the latest revision.

The inspection date is usually the day after the headphones were built, assuming they passed QC on the first go...

Hopefully that answers all your questions, but feel free to reach out again for anything else.

All the best
Chris

Audeze

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #11,062 of 11,521
Just got word from Audeze. My 28**** seem to be the latest.

[COLOR=2B2E2F]Hi Wayde[/COLOR]
Yes, you have the latest and greatest. 

As far as serial numbers go, the only variation that "really" means anything with LCD-3s is that numbers beginning with 27 or 28 have Fazors. Going from 27 to 28 was most likely a result of simply running out of stickers. :wink:

Anything made after the first of the year is for sure the latest revision, but there are some made before that which are also part of the latest revision.

The inspection date is usually the day after the headphones were built, assuming they passed QC on the first go...

Hopefully that answers all your questions, but feel free to reach out again for anything else.

All the best

Chris

Audeze

Yep, there's some speculation that the cutoff point is around Oct/Nov last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back