New Audeze LCD3
Jun 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #10,486 of 11,521

Just started wearing my replacement LCD-3's after a couple week burning-in.  The leather ear pads are a bit warm for summer.  So I ordered the microfiber suede.  

One question, how does one remove the leather ear pads without tearing them?

Here is a video on how to change the pads:https://docs.google.com/a/audeze.com/file/d/0B_SN_p6Cdm2NZW1HeVRMNDBiTnc/edit?pli=1 

The video makes it look easy.  I tried to remove the leather ear pads that way, but they started to tear.  The leather is stuck to the adhesive.  So I'll have to find a way to get underneath the sticky stuff.   Maybe it works better lifting them from inside the ear cup ?    
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10,487 of 11,521

The video makes it look easy.  I tried to remove the leather ear pads that way, but they started to tear.  The leather is stuck to the adhesive.  So I'll have to find a way to get underneath the sticky stuff.   Maybe it works better lifting them from inside the ear cup ?    
confused.gif

Sorry to hear that the ear pads started to tear. All I can say is that I did as in the video and it worked great for me. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #10,489 of 11,521
Violectric V200 is a great amp for the price.  Some people believe it is the best amp for < $2,500.  There is a long and active thread on Head-Fi.  Plenty come up used for around $650.  They make a good DAC to match that but I forgot the model #.   I'd look into Schitt tube amps as well.  

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #10,491 of 11,521

Is there a consensus on a great amp pairing <1k for these?

I like my Meier Corda Classic amp ($600-700) but for a $100+ more the Yulong Sabre A18 blew me away at a recent meet.  Very musical and nicely detailed.

That Yulong Sabre A18 sure looks good . . . http://www.head-fi.org/t/615218/review-yulong-sabre-a18-reference-headphone-amp

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #10,493 of 11,521
Whats interesting is the a18 doenst appear to be a current model on their website. There is an a28 which is fully balanced and a couple hundred cheaper. A18 still available on ebay though

http://yulongaudio.com/en/products.asp

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #10,494 of 11,521
In case anyone is researching both headphones ...I dont know how some say the LCD-3 and LCD-X are close or a tossup. LCD-3 is clearly better. It is more detailed and polished while being more relaxed. X is a bit brighter and thumpier than the 3, but the character and texture of the 3 makes it more engaging. As i have seen some reference the 3's "magical mids", the sound is more shaped and 3 dimensional to me. The X is definitely more neutral and clinical and doesnt pity poorly mastered files. So if the angle is to use them in the studio, then they make sense there. Definitely glad i upgraded to the 3. And im only using a $300 amp/dac combo.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #10,495 of 11,521
  Whats interesting is the a18 doenst appear to be a current model on their website. There is an a28 which is fully balanced and a couple hundred cheaper. A18 still available on ebay though

http://yulongaudio.com/en/products.asp

It's on page 2 

http://yulongaudio.com/en/products.asp?page=2

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #10,497 of 11,521
In case anyone is researching both headphones ...I dont know how some say the LCD-3 and LCD-X are close or a tossup. LCD-3 is clearly better. It is more detailed and polished while being more relaxed. X is a bit brighter and thumpier than the 3, but the character and texture of the 3 makes it more engaging. As i have seen some reference the 3's "magical mids", the sound is more shaped and 3 dimensional to me. The X is definitely more neutral and clinical and doesnt pity poorly mastered files. So if the angle is to use them in the studio, then they make sense there. Definitely glad i upgraded to the 3. And im only using a $300 amp/dac combo.

I'm a/bing both right now. I do agree with you that the 3's win on clarity but in almost ever other aspect the X's are kicking butt on musicality and funness to listen to. So far have listened to turn blue black keys, jack white lazaretto, and fuggees the score. All 3 albums I favor the X's.

I anticipate the 3's will win when I get to Muddy waters, Dave Matthews, and Allison Krauss.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #10,499 of 11,521
so my lcd-3 died for a second time in the first year...anyone else having my "luck"?
How bad can audeze QC be when something dies after 4 months of usage having the same issue as before the initial rma...

probably the connector again...

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10,500 of 11,521
I'm a/bing both right now. I do agree with you that the 3's win on clarity but in almost ever other aspect the X's are kicking butt on musicality and funness to listen to. So far have listened to turn blue black keys, jack white lazaretto, and fuggees the score. All 3 albums I favor the X's.

I anticipate the 3's will win when I get to Muddy waters, Dave Matthews, and Allison Krauss.

Interesting, wonder if our different amp gear has any effect. I have the lowly magni2/modi2 but these still sound amazing. Or if it just personal prefs! I will say the x hits harder. But i def prefer a warmer signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back