New Audeze LCD3
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #10,471 of 11,521
May be you'll find this useful. Story about failed LCD-3 modification attempt: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770678/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt

Very interesting! Makes the TOTL seems not so TOTL

How so? All we see is a single example with no way to know if this represents typical build or not. The hair and other crud he found is more likely to have come from the tear down or owner use than the factory build.

Personally, if my pads were out of balance as those appeared to be, I'd have asked for replacements from Audeze, not shredded the entire headphone looking to modify the basic build.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #10,472 of 11,521
How so? All we see is a single example with no way to know if this represents typical build or not. The hair and other crud he found is more likely to have come from the tear down or owner use than the factory build.

Personally, if my pads were out of balance as those appeared to be, I'd have asked for replacements from Audeze, not shredded the entire headphone looking to modify the basic build.

I actually have the exact same issue with my pads, They are both different shapes and the right hand one is a lot thicker than the left. which causes the Fazor to hit my Ear. I have raised this with Audeze and am awaiting some new pads to arrive (not a biggie really).

My comment was more aimed at the alignment of the fazor's over the magnets might check mine out once i'm home and see how they look. Dont get me wrong I love my LCD3's and they are the best headphones I have heard to date but I am a little skeptical around Audeze's QA as my first pair of LCD3's arrived so bent the left ear cup wouldn't even sit on my head yet it still had a personally signed certificate saying an Audeze engineer inspected them before they went out.

I may just have extremely bad luck but on to a positive note when i got my LCD 2's they were absolutely perfect in build quality and not a single thing was out of place anywhere.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #10,473 of 11,521

Those headphones wasn't opened before. Of course, I can't provide any "proofs" besides good reputation of mod author. He's really well-known in russian headphone community, and he doesn't have any reasons for lying.

As for earpads, of course, if it was the only source of problems, ordering new pair from Audeze solved everything. But that mod attempt was done in order to study internals of LCD-3 and find out other possible sources of improvement. For example, fazors alignment fix would improve sound greatly.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #10,476 of 11,521
Because they musically wipe the floor with the 800's, and these aren't day-to-day occurrences.

wink.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #10,479 of 11,521
The LCD3F is the second best headphone I have ever heard to my tastes and I have heard most of the flagships including the elctrostats.  My number one is the R10.   I just love thick creamy sound and these two are the best in the area of most importance to me.

Unfortunately, I have a comfort issue with the LCD3F.  I do not think it is the weight.  It feels like things are getting hot under the ear pads within about 15 minutes of wear.  By half an hour I cannot wear them any more.  It just feels to hot.
Would the suede ear pads help this problem?   I have the suede pads on my HE-6 (my third favorite headphone) and I do not feel the heat problem; however the clamp on the LCD is firmer and that may be the problem and not the ear pads.

I would appreciate any suggestions from your experiences as to how to solve this problem.  I don't need 5 hours of comfort.   One hour is generally my listening session- but 15 minutes is just to fast to get uncomfortable.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #10,480 of 11,521
Suede option stays cooler yes.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #10,482 of 11,521

Just started wearing my replacement LCD-3's after a couple week burning-in.  The leather ear pads are a bit warm for summer.  So I ordered the microfiber suede.  

One question, how does one remove the leather ear pads without tearing them?

The double-sided tape is so strong that it is pretty hard not to...even slow peeling/separating etc...tried that.
It is out of sight though.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #10,483 of 11,521
Jun 10, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #10,485 of 11,521
  Where can you get extra double-sided tape?

You can just overlap generic 1 inch pieces of double-sided tape in a circle on the driver enclosure/exterior and it works just the same...3M etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back