New Audeze LCD3
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #10,292 of 11,521
I don't, neither on my Decware tube amps (only 4 tubes rather than 9) nor Meier SS amp.
I don't think the Audez'es - even the 3F - are known for fatiguing highs.

However, I have found I needed to tube-roll to get the right match with both the LCD2r1 and 3F.
The LCD3 is often reported to be more fussy about amp (or tubes). I agree. I thought I got it right months ago. Now I realise I'm not quite there.

Or, could you be hearing problems in the mixing? Do you notice it more with some material/artists than others?

Must be my tiring ear for listening to the LCD-3 too loud.

Probably it is something else in my system. I have been upgrading spree in the past few months. Since then I have went digital. Bought a MHDT Pagoda and a Cardas Clear USB cable. Then upgrade the Pagoda's tube to a NOS 1964 Bendix 6385. Wanting to get rid of the last digital glare in the high frequency, I bought a Silflex Glass Toslink. It works, with warmer sound but with slight loss in details. Then I bought a HD650 from Amazon because I miss my old HD650 and it was on sales for $290. Then I bought a LCD-3F. Thinking of getting Auralic Vega and Taurus to pair it with LCD-3 but going to hold on until the LCD-3 is fully break-in. Yesterday, I upgrade the smaller tubes in CS600 to NOS Sylvania. The Sylvania should give a smoother warmer sounds (still breaking in). Concerning about unclean power in my apartment (many apartments units in my block), I bought a Shunyata Venom Defender. Plugged it into the wall power outlet yesterday, next to power outlet used by the power cable for my Leben CS600. I assume it working. There is no operating light whatsoever on the Venom Defender. Only a red light if the unit breaks. If it ever breaks. Many components in my system have changed in the last few months. I am not quite there yet. I'll get it right eventually.

I didn't know LCD-3 is fussy with tubes. I will try other tubes I have on hand.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #10,293 of 11,521

Do you have the leather pads?  I find it takes them a few days to soften up even more and conform to shape.  I've had new pads 5 times and noticed the pattern after the first few.

Ah ok that's good. I'll just soldier through it then. It really is quite painful though after 20-30 minutes at the moment.

I got my LCD-2s used, and the seller reported ~100 hours of use so I suppose that could be the reason. 

I hope so, I don't consider comfort a priority, but it needs to not be painful!

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #10,294 of 11,521

Do you have the leather pads?  I find it takes them a few days to soften up even more and conform to shape.  I've had new pads 5 times and noticed the pattern after the first few.

Ah ok that's good. I'll just soldier through it then. It really is quite painful though after 20-30 minutes at the moment.

I got my LCD-2s used, and the seller reported ~100 hours of use so I suppose that could be the reason. 

I hope so, I don't consider comfort a priority, but it needs to not be painful!

Hope they become more comfortable for you. I find that for a few days, the leather pads seal too tightly and can cause an odd sensation of pressure in my ears at times. They also seem warmer because of the seal. After a week or so, they have broken in and conform better to my head - both the pressure and physical warmth go away.

YMMV

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #10,295 of 11,521
I got mine a few weeks ago, and while I'm fine with the ear pads, after 20 minutes or so I start to really feel the leather band digging into my skull and it's quite painful. Anyone have solutions for this? can you get a more comfy band anywhere? I tried heightening it a little bit but then they didn't fit as snug and solid around the ears. Sucks to pay this much for them and the only hindrance I can find is this comfort issue. :frowning2:

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #10,296 of 11,521
Fear not, my little werthers original - theres an alternative headband made by a headfi user that many people on here use and are very happy with.

I experience the same thing, but it is becoming less and less present. Normally I get it after 1-2 hours of listening. Once I adjust the headband it goes for another hour so I'm good.

Can somebody provide this guys name please for Exidrion

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #10,297 of 11,521
Well I just heard back from Audeze and they told me that the pads on the 3f and 2f are identical. Go figure because I thought I'd read in some reviews people preferring the comfort of the 3f.

There must be something structurally different though between the two because I've got a 3f and 2f now side by side and it hurts with the 3f but not 2f. (they're both brand new so it's not an issue of breaking in the pads)

It feels like something is cutting into my ear from the edge of the pads. Really weird. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #10,298 of 11,521
  Fear not, my little werthers original - theres an alternative headband made by a headfi user that many people on here use and are very happy with.

I experience the same thing, but it is becoming less and less present. Normally I get it after 1-2 hours of listening. Once I adjust the headband it goes for another hour so I'm good.

That sounds promising I just want to identify what it is that's causing me problems first though --- if it's something beyond the pads I mean that I can't fix.

EDIT: NVM -- skimmed through this too fast I see now you're addressing the other guy's post. Just disregard 
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #10,299 of 11,521
^^ That's odd. Maybe a manufacturing flaw in your 3f pad? Have you tried feeling the 3f and 2f pads for differences?

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #10,300 of 11,521
  Well I just heard back from Audeze and they told me that the pads on the 3f and 2f are identical. Go figure because I thought I'd read in some reviews people preferring the comfort of the 3f.

There must be something structurally different though between the two because I've got a 3f and 2f now side by side and it hurts with the 3f but not 2f. (they're both brand new so it's not an issue of breaking in the pads)

It feels like something is cutting into my ear from the edge of the pads. Really weird. 

This is really weird. I guess that one can have problem with LCD weight, clamping, or pressure on top of the head, but the pads them self (both leather and vegan) is so soft and nice IME. Must be something wrong with yours.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #10,304 of 11,521

Come hither, you glorious unnamed fellow

Nvm, I have received a Pm :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #10,305 of 11,521
So I heard back again from Audeze, pretty much told me the only significant difference should be the weight.

I really hope it "break in" and stops hurting because I dig the extra details over the LCD-2f.

Anyone experienced significant increase in comfort levels after prolonged use?

--- Also on a slightly different tangent, is the LCD-3 harder to drive than the 2f? I've been testing both on my Lyr (with $180 tubes) but I'm wondering if I'm potentially underpowering the LCD-3s and so not giving a fair picture of its sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back