New Audeze LCD3
Apr 6, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #10,321 of 11,521
Just to remind people there are in fact 3 versions of the LCD-3

LCD-3vc
LCD-3c
LCD-3f

Unfortunately the vc and c versions get lumped together which causes great confusion when being compared to the 3f. The first LCD-3s had different material on either side of the driver and I believe the driver was slightly different too. These were known as the veiled LCD-3s (hence the v part of the label). Some loved them, never noticed, and still have them today. These generally start with serial number 231. There are later 231 LCD-3s that had the updated equipment but you have to know what to look for.

Then Audeze changed the serial number range to start 261 which lasted until the f version came out with serial numbers starting 271.

I have an LCD-3c, and my friend has an LCD-3f and we have done several side by side comparisons with a Burson Soloist and an Oppo HA-1. While there is a difference, my friend and I believe the differences between them are over-expressed or implied here. What is true is that the LCD-3f has a slightly more open soundstage, slightly less apparent treble roll-off, slightly less impact on the bass. This gains for orchestral, but seems to be a negative for intimate solo singing/guitar music such as James Taylor where the LCD-3c is so warm and lush. But like I said, the difference is really not that big, and my suspicion for some of the "totally different sounding headphone critiques" have come from those that were comparing an LCD-3vc with an LCD-3f.

Finally, for those that are happy with a transistor amplifier sound (as opposed to valves) like the Burson or Oppo, I have found the Sony PHA-3 with balanced connection to be superb. I had to order a 4-pin XLR to dual 3.5 jack adapter from Moon Audio, but it was well worth it. The PHA-3 works as a PC DAC/Amplifier or with an Apple or Android device, and particularly of course with their own ZX1/ZX2 walkmans providing hi-res digital output to the PHA-3. On the PC it also supports direct double rate DSD streaming.

P.S It is very important as everyone knows to volume match when auditioning between headphones and because the LCD-3f has a different impedance and efficiency, the volume setting is a bit different too to equalise them.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #10,322 of 11,521
  So I heard back again from Audeze, pretty much told me the only significant difference should be the weight.

I really hope it "break in" and stops hurting because I dig the extra details over the LCD-2f.

Anyone experienced significant increase in comfort levels after prolonged use?

--- Also on a slightly different tangent, is the LCD-3 harder to drive than the 2f? I've been testing both on my Lyr (with $180 tubes) but I'm wondering if I'm potentially underpowering the LCD-3s and so not giving a fair picture of its sound.

Are you sure it's the pads hitting your ears and not the fazors? It is interesting that Audeze changed the pads because with the 3C and the 2.2 the pads were definitely different with the 3C noticeably softer and more comfortable! Early in this thread there are reports of people with ears that may stick out a little more making physical contact with the fazors (which of course doesn't happen with a 3C as the distance between pad edge and driver is larger)

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #10,323 of 11,521
Is there anyone whos done a good comparison between the X and 3F?
3F have more bass, but doesnt hit as hard? 
Is the 3F as fast as the X?

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #10,324 of 11,521
  Just to remind people there are in fact 3 versions of the LCD-3

LCD-3vc
LCD-3c
LCD-3f

Unfortunately the vc and c versions get lumped together which causes great confusion when being compared to the 3f. The first LCD-3s had different material on either side of the driver and I believe the driver was slightly different too. These were known as the veiled LCD-3s (hence the v part of the label). Some loved them, never noticed, and still have them today. These generally start with serial number 231. There are later 231 LCD-3s that had the updated equipment but you have to know what to look for.

Then Audeze changed the serial number range to start 261 which lasted until the f version came out with serial numbers starting 271.

I have an LCD-3c, and my friend has an LCD-3f and we have done several side by side comparisons with a Burson Soloist and an Oppo HA-1. While there is a difference, my friend and I believe the differences between them are over-expressed or implied here. What is true is that the LCD-3f has a slightly more open soundstage, slightly less apparent treble roll-off, slightly less impact on the bass. This gains for orchestral, but seems to be a negative for intimate solo singing/guitar music such as James Taylor where the LCD-3c is so warm and lush. But like I said, the difference is really not that big, and my suspicion for some of the "totally different sounding headphone critiques" have come from those that were comparing an LCD-3vc with an LCD-3f.

Finally, for those that are happy with a transistor amplifier sound (as opposed to valves) like the Burson or Oppo, I have found the Sony PHA-3 with balanced connection to be superb. I had to order a 4-pin XLR to dual 3.5 jack adapter from Moon Audio, but it was well worth it. The PHA-3 works as a PC DAC/Amplifier or with an Apple or Android device, and particularly of course with their own ZX1/ZX2 walkmans providing hi-res digital output to the PHA-3. On the PC it also supports direct double rate DSD streaming.

P.S It is very important as everyone knows to volume match when auditioning between headphones and because the LCD-3f has a different impedance and efficiency, the volume setting is a bit different too to equalise them.

I have had the LCD 3C from 2013 and the LCD 3F from 2014 at the same time and the difference is like you says. Only want to add that the F has better transparency and speed as well. I bought the vegan pads a put them on the LCD 3F and the sound sig was almost as on the LCD 3C. Not exactly the same but close.    

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #10,325 of 11,521

I haven’t own them both and have only demoing them on a couple of system I don’t own. To me the amount of bass is the same as is the speed. They both hit equally hard if the bass is not very fast and completed if it is the X can hit a bit faster and harder.

The difference are a bit wider soundstage on the X, more treble on the X, better capability to handle complex passages on the X. The 3F has the upper hand on timbre across the board, a more refined treble, a richer midrange and a more transparent and revealing sound. This is if you use a good system that’s not a "limiting factor" and that the volume is matched. The X is notable more power efficient.

Both are good and do well with all kind of music. I prefer the F on more records thou.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #10,326 of 11,521

Are you sure it's the pads hitting your ears and not the fazors? It is interesting that Audeze changed the pads because with the 3C and the 2.2 the pads were definitely different with the 3C noticeably softer and more comfortable! Early in this thread there are reports of people with ears that may stick out a little more making physical contact with the fazors (which of course doesn't happen with a 3C as the distance between pad edge and driver is larger)

Yep it's the fazors I think, see my later post. 

I notice some slight discomfort with the 2fs, but it is not as aggravating. My assumption was that the extra weight was the issue but then I tried the LCD-X on and the problem was no more noticeable than on the 2f, and the X is heavier than the 3f isn't it?

Is there anything I can do short of, you know, plastic surgery 
beyersmile.png
?

It's a real shame because although initially I found myself preferring the 2f, the 3f is growing on me a lot, especially with rock, heavier music and EDM. I still give the nudge just barely to the 2f for intimate vocal stuff like Norah Jones. But everything else -- 3f. I want to keep it!

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #10,328 of 11,521
Quote:

I don't feel I have the experience to give a really informed opinion but I have compared the two and to my ears the 3f was infinitely more engaging and just way more fun to listen to, to put it in the simplest terms (including with EDM -- I was trying it with early Autechre FYI). I'm returning my X tomorrow.

EDIT: Oops quoted wrong person initially there... 

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #10,330 of 11,521
  I don't feel I have the experience to give a really informed opinion but I have compared the two and to my ears the 3f was infinitely more engaging and just way more fun to listen to, to put it in the simplest terms (including with EDM -- I was trying it with early Autechre FYI). I'm returning my X tomorrow.

EDIT: Oops quoted wrong person initially there... 

I agree!

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #10,331 of 11,521
  Ok so after some further time with LCD 2 rev 2, LCD-2f, LCD-3f I think it is actually the fazors themselves causing the problem. My ears stick out a fair bit from my head and I think what is happening is that they are brushing up against the fazor's sharp edge at the part of my ear that is most extended. It's noticeable somewhat on the LCD-2f but not much at all, I think the increased weight of the LCD-3f makes it significantly worse.

Or am I just crazy?

If I do end up, for comfort reasons, with a LCD-2f and LCD-3c would that just be a bizzare combo to own? With the 2f possibly having better soundstage and the 3c having... better detail and more intimate soundstage? 

I had the same experience with LCD-X when I did an audition of them in a store. The fazor hurt my ear by touching it slightly. I remember reading in a few threads how to counteract it, for example by bending the headband or putting some stuff/rubber under the pads.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #10,333 of 11,521
  Ive read that some say the LCD-3F is better with EDM, or electronic music in general.
Its more enjoyable. 
So ive been thinking about getting rid of my X's and get the 3Fs...
I havent been fully enjoying the X's tho, cause I dont like it compared with the mjolnir duo to its brightness. 

I have done a short audition and a comparison of both 3 and X with different kinds electronic music, but I couldn't really decide which one was better suited. Probably for some kinds of electronica Xs were better and for some 3s. This was also the reason why I decided to stay with my 2.2 for the time being, hoping that maybe future LCD-4s will solve my problem. Sorry, I know my comment isn't helping. The best for you would be to compare them both directly with your own ears with your own music.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #10,334 of 11,521
  Yep it's the fazors I think, see my later post. 

I notice some slight discomfort with the 2fs, but it is not as aggravating. My assumption was that the extra weight was the issue but then I tried the LCD-X on and the problem was no more noticeable than on the 2f, and the X is heavier than the 3f isn't it?

Is there anything I can do short of, you know, plastic surgery 
beyersmile.png
?

It's a real shame because although initially I found myself preferring the 2f, the 3f is growing on me a lot, especially with rock, heavier music and EDM. I still give the nudge just barely to the 2f for intimate vocal stuff like Norah Jones. But everything else -- 3f. I want to keep it!

This is a tough one and it has caught out a few people. Of course one solution is to get the 3c :) As already suggested, if the clamping force of the headphones is reduced by stretching the band, then the pads will compress less against your ears, and it may "just" avoid the problem. I think part of the issue is that when the LCD 2 and 3 and maybe even the X were first conceived the fazor concept didn't exist yet and retrospectively this has introduced an incompatibility with some shapes of ear and head. I expect the LCD-4 will have a better solution for this....Can anyone think of any other headphone in existence that has this type of issue?

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #10,335 of 11,521

This is a tough one and it has caught out a few people. Of course one solution is to get the 3c :) As already suggested, if the clamping force of the headphones is reduced by stretching the band, then the pads will compress less against your ears, and it may "just" avoid the problem. I think part of the issue is that when the LCD 2 and 3 and maybe even the X were first conceived the fazor concept didn't exist yet and retrospectively this has introduced an incompatibility with some shapes of ear and head. I expect the LCD-4 will have a better solution for this....Can anyone think of any other headphone in existence that has this type of issue?

How would I go about stretching it? I've never tried to mod a HPs so I need some guidance here if I'm going to try with a $2k one.

EDIT: Also would it be worth exchanging them for vegan micro-suede pads? It seems they're supposed to be firmer so maybe that will keep the fazors further away? Do the vegan pads alter the sound signature at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back