New Audeze LCD3
Oct 5, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #11,131 of 11,521
Just curious to know if anyone has compared the lcd3 and the Focal Elear. I am trying to make a decision here and any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks

I have both of them. To my ear, it's not even close. The LCD-3f is superior in every way. The Elears, while an excellent headphone, just don't have the resolution nor the deeper bass of the LCD-3f. The Elear can sound a bit congested on the top end and while it's bass is full bodied, it's not very deep. It has a nice full midrange too. I do find it to be an overall fun sounding headphone. I still clearly prefer my HE-6,LCD-XC ,LCD-3f and LCD-4 over them. I would call the Elears amongst the best 1000.00 headphones.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #11,132 of 11,521
I have both of them. To my ear, it's not even close. The LCD-3f is superior in every way. The Elears, while an excellent headphone, just don't have the resolution nor the deeper bass of the LCD-3f. The Elear can sound a bit congested on the top end and while it's bass is full bodied, it's not very deep. It has a nice full midrange too. I do find it to be an overall fun sounding headphone. I still clearly prefer my HE-6,LCD-XC ,LCD-3f and LCD-4 over them. I would call the Elears amongst the best 1000.00 headphones.

Since you have both - how would you describe the difference between LCD-3 and LCD-4. I've been very satisfied with my LCD-3s for years by the way but can't help being curious.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #11,133 of 11,521
Since you have both - how would you describe the difference between LCD-3 and LCD-4. I've been very satisfied with my LCD-3s for years by the way but can't help being curious.

Well, I've had my LCD-3f since May 2015 (left driver just died and now in for repair) and I got the LCD-4 back in March. I listen to them both quite a bit.
Overall, the LCD-4 is the superior of the two. Having said that, I often find my LCD-3 to be the more musical of the two.
It depends on the genre.(rock,grunge). I also sometimes find myself more lost in the music with the LCD-3 whereas on the LCD-4 I seem to analyze what I'm hearing. Everything is a bit more visceral with the LCD-4 though. Bass is certainly deeper while the midrange is a bit more pronounced on the LCD-3. This is the LCD-3s charm , that liquid, creamy midrange.
So again, overall, I do prefer the LCD-4 but the LCD-3 has its own charm. I won't sell either one of them.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #11,134 of 11,521
Well, I've had my LCD-3f since May 2015 (left driver just died and now in for repair) and I got the LCD-4 back in March. I listen to them both quite a bit.
Overall, the LCD-4 is the superior of the two. Having said that, I often find my LCD-3 to be the more musical of the two.
It depends on the genre.(rock,grunge). I also sometimes find myself more lost in the music with the LCD-3 whereas on the LCD-4 I seem to analyze what I'm hearing. Everything is a bit more visceral with the LCD-4 though. Bass is certainly deeper while the midrange is a bit more pronounced on the LCD-3. This is the LCD-3s charm , that liquid, creamy midrange.
So again, overall, I do prefer the LCD-4 but the LCD-3 has its own charm. I won't sell either one of them.

Thank you for that insight. Sorry to hear of your driver issues. I have been lucky, I think. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #11,135 of 11,521

Thank you so much got your reply. I am actually more confused now. I asked the same question on the elear forum and people like the elear better. I guess I will have to listen to elear myself and see if u like it. I love the lcd3 sound, but some times I wish the treble was more extended.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #11,136 of 11,521
Thank you so much got your reply. I am actually more confused now. I asked the same question on the elear forum and people like the elear better. I guess I will have to listen to elear myself and see if u like it. I love the lcd3 sound, but some times I wish the treble was more extended.

If they listen long enough and are over the new toy effect, I can't see how one could honestly say that the Elears are superior. The bass, while full, isn't as visceral and organic as the LCD-3 and the overall resolution just isn't there in comparison. I do find myself often enjoying the Elears, but I can't listen to them for more than say 45 min -1 hour without some listening fatigue setting in. Massed instruments can sound congested and are not as clearly separated and the bass is not as deep. If I didn't own headphones like the LCD-3 and 4, I might say these are the greatest headphones ever! In the meantime, I can say that they are arguably the best 1k headphones I've heard.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #11,137 of 11,521
If they listen long enough and are over the new toy effect, I can't see how one could honestly say that the Elears are superior. The bass, while full, isn't as visceral and organic as the LCD-3 and the overall resolution just isn't there in comparison. I do find myself often enjoying the Elears, but I can't listen to them for more than say 45 min -1 hour without some listening fatigue setting in. Massed instruments can sound congested and are not as clearly separated and the bass is not as deep. If I didn't own headphones like the LCD-3 and 4, I might say these are the greatest headphones ever! In the meantime, I can say that they are arguably the best 1k headphones I've heard.

Very valid your your point. The decision I was trying to make was actually selling my lcd3 and getting the elear. So I guess it will probably be a big mistake.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #11,140 of 11,521
The LCD3 is very good sounding and much better than many people give it credit for nowadays.

The LCD3, 2016 version, even if not as creamy and mid centric as the older LCD3 revisions, still beats all other headphones I have heard in those regard. The LCD3 2016 reversion also brings better clarity, resolution, treble and a more open sound than in the previous LCD3 revisions.  

IMO

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #11,141 of 11,521
  Folks, I've just ordered LCD 3 with Schiit Mjolnnir 2 and Gugnir Multibit. Has anyone ever had this combination? My fear is bass experience won't be good enough. I mostly listen to electronic music.

The LCD3 is one of the absolute best headphones for electronic music and other types of music that is based on bass.

I have no experience with those gear, but can’t see any reason why it won’t sound good. From what I have read they seems like a proper fit for the LCD3, both in term of power and SQ. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #11,144 of 11,521
Alright folks, I still feel bad I'm not getting the top of the line Schiit amp/dacs but lcd3 already stretched my budget and this combo being near 2.5k, this is maxing my budget. What are the ideal ways to listen to music once I get babies? I dont have any CDs or lossless audio files. I was thinking of using macbook pro with this combo and Tidal. I listen to soundcloud tracks a lot but there's no better option for it, I guess.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #11,145 of 11,521
Hi folks

Some weeks ago I upgraded my LCD3 with the new carbon LCD4-Headband and the blue audeze cable.

Now I can listen for hours without any issues or neck pain. The blue cable is a huge improvement over the old stock cable.

I'm enjoying my equipment ever more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back