New Audeze LCD3
Oct 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #11,161 of 11,521
Maybe I'm overreacting but when I see missing details like this, it makes me believe the headphones have more issues than it meets the eye. The box also didn't include the solution and pads-not sure if missing or no longer included. See, the issue isn't the missing trivial items. It's the fact that I pay to receive an unopened, new item that's supposed to come as the manufacturer intended it to be. Everyone is different, when I pay this much, I also hope to have everything better than "normally would be expected". Hope this makes sense.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #11,162 of 11,521
  Guys, after all that uphold and excitement, I've received the headphones today. I had bought them from headphone.com When I opened the box there was no frequency response chart to be founded. I actually got so bummed, I even didn't give a try to the headphones. How could they forget something like this? Or was this a unit that was previously returned, and this page was lost during while? I honestly don't know. I sent an e-mail to Audeze. There was a handsigned Certificate of Authenticity but that's all...

Tell me what do do...

They don't include a FR chart, you have to email for it. Also no leather or wood solution any more. I have rec'd 3 & XC brand new direct in the past weeks like this. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #11,163 of 11,521

They don't include a FR chart, you have to email for it. Also no leather or wood solution any more. I have rec'd 3 & XC brand new direct in the past weeks like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg74DvX8hkQ

I had watched this video where they seem to have included the freq response chart. I guess, no more. So they stopped sending wooden box, wood care set, freq response charts.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #11,165 of 11,521
What kind of Schiit are you getting?

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #11,167 of 11,521
Guys, after all that uphold and excitement, I've received the headphones today. I had bought them from headphone.com When I opened the box there was no frequency response chart to be founded. I actually got so bummed, I even didn't give a try to the headphones. How could they forget something like this? Or was this a unit that was previously returned, and this page was lost during while? I honestly don't know. I sent an e-mail to Audeze. There was a handsigned Certificate of Authenticity but that's all...

OK, a little edit here: I'm not really as concerned as the missing frequency response chart or solution-cleaning pads (were previously included). I'm just bummed by the fact this is a unit that was previously returned for some reason. That little seed of though that there might be something wrong with the phones was what saddened me.

It's been about 2 years since audeze doesn't provide the frequency chart. You just contact audeze with your headphones serial number and they kindly send you the frequency chart.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #11,169 of 11,521
  Right now listening to them with oppo ha-2 SE, it will be one more day until I receive Schiit amp/dac set. With HA-2 SE, it sounds very bright, detailed but fatiguing. It's probably oppo messing with music right now :)

You probably going to think that what am about to tell you is BS. You need to play/burn in them for at least 150-200 hour before they sound at its best. The change in DAC and amp will probably have an even larger effect so the burn in will maybe not be noticeable in your case. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #11,170 of 11,521

Welcome to Head-fi!

I agree that some of the extra air and resolution probably originate from the elevated treble at around 10 kHz. I also sense that overall we lost some of the hard to point out strength of the Audeze sound, that’s a bit forgiving, full, rich and creamy sound.

I have now changed pads from the leather to the vegans. Changing the pads may not sound like a deal breaker, but I can assure you it can be. I have tried pad rolling on other headphones with the same result. The leather pads reflects more treble than the vegan pads. So the vegan pads tones down the high treble a bit and make the sound more refined.

I have personally preferred the leather pads with earlier revisions of the LCD3 as I sensed a lack in treble energy, but not with my Hifiman HE6 and the new LCD 3 2016 revision.

With the vegan pads on the LCD 3 from 2016 I got the same clean sound, refined treble, black background and resolutions that I got with the stock leather pads. I also and more important got back all, or at least most of the smooth, rich and creamy sound of the earlier LCD3. So with the vegan pads I only lost a little in air, dynamic and bass definition. Well it also clearly toned down the high treble, and it’s a good thing in my book!

Engagement and musicality are as other sound aspect both system dependent and personal. To me the biggest strength the vegan pads has on the LCD3 (2016 revision) is greater engagement and musicality. Take this with some of the added assets the new LCD 3 revision brings to the table; like a bit cleaner sound, more refined treble, blacker background and a bit more resolutions and yes it’s a nice upgrade IMO. 

I have to agree. Have a 8/16 version and the leather pads were fine but there was some shrillness up high. Installing the vegan pads brings back some of the fun in the music and less fatigue. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #11,172 of 11,521
Are the vegan pads non-leather versions? I am curerntly listening with Gumby and Mjolnir and I can tell they sound much better than yesterday. However that peak in treble, even though tamed, is still fatiguing for me. I might have to change pads like some did.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #11,174 of 11,521
Can any other vegan users chime in? If I could dull the 10k accentuation on this 2016 pair if really like that. Does it lower all the treble overall? My pair is quite dark as is, just has a strong 10k peak

I think so

I loved the LCD3f vs the LCD2.2 except that 10k bump. It drove me crazy on some songs and it was hard to equalize out. I changed to Vegans yesterday even though I had them for a few weeks sitting around collecting dust. They sound like the old LCD3s now but still with the great detail. The shrill is gone. I think the leather is responsible for some of the issue. I love them now, they are perfect and now my end game probably until they fall apart. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back