New Audeze LCD3
Jan 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #9,931 of 11,521

That's a pretty good suggestion actually. Thanks for the tip! 
redface.gif

You're welcome!

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #9,932 of 11,521
  Some cables, even some expensive ones, can sound downright bad.

+1. Totally agree. 

I've had good success with Cardas' products (my 2-channel setup is all Golden Reference), Moon-Audio (the SD v3 mentioned above), Harmonic Technology (Magic Link IC between my DAC and HPA) and Light Harmonic (Lightspeed 10G btw my PC and DAC). I've also liked the Audience Au24 series, but don't currently own any. 

Before I started climbing the steeper hills of this hobby (and has less fiscal resources) I was a big fan of Signal Cable's stuff, which is a great value IMO. 

Best of luck!

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #9,933 of 11,521
  Some cables, even some expensive ones, can sound downright bad.

yes, I believe it  is all about system synergy and matching.  The sound characteristics of the dac, amplifiier,  cables (interconnect, power cable, hp cable etc)  and even tweaks ideally have to be taken into consideration otherwise even the most expensive cable will sound pretty bad despite it is not the weakest link.
 but something about this hobby is that once you spend so much money on them, you are better off convincing yourself that they sound good somewhere somehow
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #9,934 of 11,521
  yes, I believe it  is all about system synergy and matching.  The sound characteristics of the dac, amplifiier,  cables (interconnect, power cable, hp cable etc)  and even tweaks ideally have to be taken into consideration otherwise even the most expensive cable will sound pretty bad despite it is not the weakest link.
 but something about this hobby is that once you spend so much money on them, you are better off convincing yourself that they sound good somewhere somehow
bigsmile_face.gif

So true - never overlook the psychological elements and the impact of a a heavy dose of cognitive dissonance! 

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #9,935 of 11,521
Yeah, I do get annoyed at the common argument that one can get so enamored with the beauty, look+feel, price or reputation of a cable that you imagine it sounds better, when many times the very opposite occurs.
You can't tell a book by its cover, and often a gorgeous cable sound bad, with glare in vocals, muddy bass, fatigue, or worse.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #9,936 of 11,521
The old ALO chainmail I have makes the upper mids and low treble too strong and adds glare. The silver dragon is more refined with great clear bass.

Anyone thought of the new toxic cables silver widow 22awg? I have one on loan to compare it to my balanced toxic cables copper venom rc8 (with 22awg retangular solid copper wire).and surely for much cheaper it does really well compared to the venom.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #9,937 of 11,521
LCD-3 and Nordost Heimdall 2 cables with the new Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson amp. Sweet!

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #9,939 of 11,521
Any comments on the new Cavalli? It is interesting that it and the Liquid Glass are within $100 of each other on their website. Does the Crimson rival the Liquid Glass (which is among my favorite amps I have ever heard.)

Quote:
  LCD-3 and Nordost Heimdall 2 cables with the new Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson amp. Sweet!

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #9,940 of 11,521
  Any comments on the new Cavalli? It is interesting that it and the Liquid Glass are within $100 of each other on their website. Does the Crimson rival the Liquid Glass (which is among my favorite amps I have ever heard.)

Quote:

The Liquid Glass and the Liquid Crimson are both very transparent. The big difference is the Glass is designed to let the individual characteristics of each tube shine through. The LC is a hybrid so you get the tube benefits but it is not really designed to roll, per se. You can and there will be some differences but not in the way the Glass is set up. For someone who wants a really high end amp without the care and feeding, the LC is awesome. if you have a nice tube collection and you want to experience it, the Glass is one of the best. Different strokes as it were.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #9,941 of 11,521
Quote:
  On that front, it seems something is up w.r.t. the sensitivity of the (updated?) LCD3, it is now quoted at 102 dB/mW instead of 93 db/mW (for reference the X'es are 103 db/mW). 
(http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-3)

I'm pulling this out of the EL-8 thread as it is off topic there, but regarding the sensitivity change, I got confirmation from Audeze that no changes have been made to the LCD3 since January 2014; although they did not mention anything on different measurement methods, it is certainly plausible that mlxx is right:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The rest of the specs seem the same, the 110ohms etc., I would say they are just measuring the sensitivity a different way now.  I remember when the OPPO was released with sensitivity in the 100+ range, a rep from Audeze mentioned that they measure it a different way (closer to the hp) and if Audeze used that way they would be a lot higher too. But I don't really know, just a guess.

In any case, I've put in an order for an LCD3 today
atsmile.gif
. It will be quite the upgrade from my trusty DT880's. Now on to evaluating whether a higher-powered amp (BHA-1 / Mjolnir / Ragnarok / Taurus / ...?) can bring more the table (my WA7 outputs 1W@32Ohms). 

If anyone has some recent recommendations on this front feel free too chime in. In the end one needs to audition of course but some well-considered scoping could lower the overhead.

Given the differences between fazor/non-fazor models I wonder how many reports on pairing still hold for the fazor version; for example would the Mjolnir be too forward/bright on the LCD3F? 

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #9,942 of 11,521

In any case, I've put in an order for an LCD3 today
atsmile.gif
. It will be quite the upgrade from my trusty DT880's.

Done that too. It is an extreme upgrade, they cannot even be compared.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #9,943 of 11,521
Hey guys, just find my lcd 3F best headphones I own...( better than T1. stax 009,)for enjoyable listening
but the problem is the heavy weight which I can't wear them for long time,
so if there is any mod ?
and  I'm thinking to remove that wood and the metal behind the driver .

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #9,944 of 11,521

Done that too. It is an extreme upgrade, they cannot even be compared.

Going from DT880 to Alpha Dog was such a huge transition. Orthos are pure magic and they have way less "edge" than the mid-fi dynamic cans IMO. The realism of the music I think is best represented by natural mids, treble that doesn't overwhelm, and bass that has control and authority.

I have yet to find a dynamic can that clearly represents all of these... also the feeling that you get when you hear a singer's vocals subtly reverberate or hearing them take that quick breath before delivering more magic.

Listen to Journey through the mid-fi dynamic headphones and then listen to Journey through the best planars(in general) and there is something really special about planars that I just can't put a finger on but maybe someone better versed could tell me why they sound better with vocals (male and female)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back