New Audeze LCD3
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #9,916 of 11,521
Ok, v3 it is.

I've seen jude mention universal cables from moon audio. where the end connector is interchangeable between xlr, 1/4" etc. Does anyone have a link to that on moon audio?

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #9,917 of 11,521
  Ok, v3 it is.

I've seen jude mention universal cables from moon audio. where the end connector is interchangeable between xlr, 1/4" etc. Does anyone have a link to that on moon audio?

check
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v3-extension-adapter-cable.html#

But still I suggest keep it simple rather than using universal cables ( one that use a mini-xlr connector). Extra connector is likely to degrade sound performance regardless ( eg resistance).

However if you do, consider getting a balanced cable and buy a adapter like this instead.
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-black-dragon-v2-extension-adapter-cable.html#
The advantage is that you can sell the adapter separately something that is impossible in universal cable due to its novelty.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #9,919 of 11,521
The Silver Dragon is an excellent match for the LCD3-F in my book.

+1. Totally agree. Have had one paired with my LCD-3's since I got them.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9,920 of 11,521
It was between the Silver Dragon and the ALO Audio Ref 16. But from what I've read, the sound signature of the silver would be a better pair with LCD3. Can anyone shed some light? anyone using ALO Ref16 with LCD3?

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #9,921 of 11,521
So I'm I'm with driver failure if they fail within the warranty period (which is how long again?) but not ok if they tend to fail outside of it. I'm guessing most of these failures are covered by warranty. Like if they are good they tend to stay good situation, and if they are bad you find out relatively soon...

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #9,923 of 11,521
  The old ALO chainmail I have makes the upper mids and low treble too strong and adds glare. The silver dragon is more refined with great clear bass.

My experience also with ALO cables

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #9,925 of 11,521
I am sorry guys but I just don't believe these cables are worth that much money, I believe in quality material and good construction. I don't believe the prices being charges are fair or even reasonable. At any event, I decided to build my own custom cable with similar material like these vendors at a fraction of the cost.

Only time will tell because I just started the project a few days ago, did my research, and ordered the raw materials. It will take a few weeks to get the supplies and when I do they will go into the workshop for a custom build.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #9,926 of 11,521
I am sorry guys but I just don't believe these cables are worth that much money, I believe in quality material and good construction. I don't believe the prices being charges are fair or even reasonable. At any event, I decided to build my own custom cable with similar material like these vendors at a fraction of the cost.

Only time will tell because I just started the project a few days ago, did my research, and ordered the raw materials. It will take a few weeks to get the supplies and when I do they will go into the workshop for a custom build.

Indeed it is the same for other components like headphones, dacs, amplifiers. If people has the skill, resources and time to build these, they probably save a bundle. And for those who can't will just simply buy from the market. Who knows that one day you may just build your own cables with value proposition and setup a successful business for it like in the case of  Charleston cable, Entreq, and many other success stories. Bear in mind that this hobby is a niche market so a business may need to have higher-priced products to cover the cost or loss of the other products.

One can also choose to buy from the used market, and strike a bargain by paying a fraction of the selling price as long as one does not fixate on a particular cable and willing to try alternate brand or model.

Sometimes people willing to spend more money on  cables due to power of brand. If a certain cable or brand has a lot of positive reviews, people are willing to pay more for the assurance that they are getting a better value because they believe that it is a lesser risk for them after all there is a saying that "Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM".

It really hard to tell if cables are worth the money because many factors come into play. Factors such as brand-consciousness,  feeling good, status, personal perception, customer loyalty,  prior experience, curiosity etc. Moreover different people place different value and belief for this hobby.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #9,927 of 11,521
  Indeed it is the same for other components like headphones, dacs, amplifiers. If people has the skill, resources and time to build these, they probably save a bundle. And for those who can't will just simply buy from the market. Who knows that one day you may just build your own cables with value proposition and setup a successful business for it like in the case of  Charleston cable, Entreq, and many other success stories. Bear in mind that this hobby is a niche market so a business may need to have higher-priced products to cover the cost or loss of the other products.

One can also choose to buy from the used market, and strike a bargain by paying a fraction of the selling price as long as one does not fixate on a particular cable and willing to try alternate brand or model.

Sometimes people willing to spend more money on  cables due to power of brand. If a certain cable or brand has a lot of positive reviews, people are willing to pay more for the assurance that they are getting a better value because they believe that it is a lesser risk for them after all there is a saying that "Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM".

It really hard to tell if cables are worth the money because many factors come into play. Factors such as brand-consciousness,  feeling good, status, personal perception, customer loyalty,  prior experience, curiosity etc. Moreover different people place different value and belief for this hobby.

All valid points sir and I have full respect to vendors operating in the audio market regardless of my opinion about what they charge.  My hat off to anyone with the guts to take the risk, start a business, and compete in the market.

Let's see where my cable quest takes me and what I end up learning from the experience. I will make sure to report back when I reach some conclusions.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #9,928 of 11,521
I've found big differences in headphone cables, but I agree that you need to be careful how you go about purchasing them (as with everything in this hobby) to get the best value. 

For example I bought a used (but excellent condition) SD v3 cable that was terminated for Audeze's and was 10 feet long. I bought it at a big discount, then shipped it to Drew and for a reasonable fee had him split it in half and re-terminate it into one 5-ft Audeze cable and one 5-ft Sennheiser cable. I didn't own any Audeze's at the time, but I hoped to in the future, and I happily used the Senn cable with my HD650's. Then later when I got my LCD-3's I already had my cable! In the end the cables ended up being half of what it would have cost to buy them new. 

There's also the ability to try out cables using CableCo's lending library, where you rent a cable for two weeks for 5% of its retail price (plus shipping). Then if you decide to buy a new one they credit you the 5% you already paid. Not sure if they do HP cables, but I know they do IC's, speaker, PC's, etc. as well as also have a lending library of headphones and amps where you can do the same thing. I did this with LCD-X's when I was deciding which Audeze to get (as I already had access to a pair of LCD-3's) and it worked great. (for transparency I have no connection to their company)

DIY is also a great idea, but not really sure how much cheaper it is once you price in the value of your own time, the supplies and equipment (and burnt finger-tips from soldering small items). 
k701smile.gif

Cheers and happy listening

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #9,929 of 11,521

There's also the ability to try out cables using CableCo's lending library, where you rent a cable for two weeks for 5% of its retail price (plus shipping). Then if you decide to buy a new one they credit you the 5% you already paid. Not sure if they do HP cables, but I know they do IC's, speaker, PC's, etc. as well as also have a lending library of headphones and amps where you can do the same thing. 

That's a pretty good suggestion actually. Thanks for the tip! 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back